Graeme Shinnie.....

Watched match on Alba.

Despite two very good finishes by Duk thought second half was awful. 

Shinnie, Ramadani and McCrorie were decent throughout. 

Stewart, Kennedy and Coulson didn't look great.

If we could get at least an hour out of him would start Hayes at Hampden, and agree we should retain same two up front pressurising the dodgy Huns backline. 

We need to treat like the recent home game, it's the only chance we have of winning. If we park the bus we're fucked albeit I wouldn't imagine that Shinnie or Hayes would follow such tactics.....

1 hour ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Watched match on Alba.

If we could get at least an hour out of him would start Hayes at Hampden, and agree we should retain same two up front pressurising the dodgy Huns backline. 

We need to treat like the recent home game, it's the only chance we have of winning. If we park the bus we're fucked albeit I wouldn't imagine that Shinnie or Hayes would follow such tactics.....

Another witch hunt on Stewart? 

What did he do wrong yesterday qnd what made you think he didn't look great? I don't get this hatred towards Stewart. He is far better than Scales who gets an easy ride from the fans. 

If you want to watch a team full of players who never make mistakes or have a lapse in concentration then Aberdeen are not the team for you. 

I'll refer you back to my post in the match thread where Willie Miller (greatest defender that's ever graced Scottish football) says Stewart is a good defender. He is a good centre half. He agreed with Tom English and Michael Stewart that Scales and McCrorie are NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Why do you think differently to God?

• Upvote 1
Just now, Daisy1903 said:

Coulson poor too? They had nothing going down their right side and he had some decent glimpses going forward. Trying a few tricks looks like he's back to his old self. Really nice step over while running at full pace to leave one if their midfielders for dead

Coulson was fine.  Its also noticeable that he's much better equipped to handle 90 minutes now we've abandoned the wing back system. 

Shinnie slotted in at left back a couple of times to cover for his runs forward which was another positive sign in having Shinnie back. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Another witch hunt on Stewart? 

What did he do wrong yesterday qnd what made you think he didn't look great? I don't get this hatred towards Stewart. He is far better than Scales who gets an easy ride from the fans. 

If you want to watch a team full of players who never make mistakes or have a lapse in concentration then Aberdeen are not the team for you. 

I'll refer you back to my post in the match thread where Willie Miller (greatest defender that's ever graced Scottish football) says Stewart is a good defender. He is a good centre half. He agreed with Tom English and Michael Stewart that Scales and McCrorie are NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Why do you think differently to God?

As someone who watched GOD and McLeish in their prime Stewart is more a centre half who goes to win headers than the linchpin central defender, who holds the defence together like GOD did.

It is quite possible to visualise Stewart in partnership with a sweeping, strong tackling defender where he can concentrate on playing the centre half role.

You are right insomuch about what you say about Scales whereas McCrorie does perform OK at right back as opposed to anywhere else on the pitch. 

5 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

As someone who watched GOD and McLeish in their prime Stewart is more a centre half who goes to win headers than the linchpin central defender, who holds the defence together like GOD did.

It is quite possible to visualise Stewart in partnership with a sweeping, strong tackling defender where he can concentrate on playing the centre half role.

You are right insomuch about what you say about Scales whereas McCrorie does perform OK at right back as opposed to anywhere else on the pitch. 

Likewise I was lucky enough to witness our glory years and to be at Munich at Pittodrie amongst other games on our run. 

Our fans are amongst the worst when it comes to singling out players and getting on their back. 

3 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Likewise I was lucky enough to witness our glory years and to be at Munich at Pittodrie amongst other games on our run. 

Our fans are amongst the worst when it comes to singling out players and getting on their back. 

Always have been min.

Strachan used to get ripped a new one on occasion, as did Stark. When both were producing the goods at the sharp end of competitions. 

Today's crop are no way near some of our past players. However if JG would continue to play Shinnie and Hayes as much as possible perhaps their attitude could rub off on a few of the other players.

Appreciate that Considine has seen better days but, in hindsight, we should have kept him to do likewise in defence. 

As GOD found out when manager you can't do without experience in a football team. 

2 hours ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Watched match on Alba.

What?

I have despised Stewart but he was flawless yesterday 

Bizarre take

52 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Ah right

So your barometer for our players now is how our early 80s team played?

Gotcha

• Haha 1

My take from Alba was a solid enough defence crucially with a 20 yard clear space to an equally solid Ramadani and Shinnie.  Agree re them both covering when their respective full backs pushed on too.  Clarkson seemed to enjoy the freedom of not having defensive duties.  Duk was Duk and, disappointingly Miovski was Miovski.  I do think there’s goals there though so would still persevere.  I’ve never been a Bez fan but will reserve judgement till I see the new Patrick boy.  Kennedy…meh - show me an alternative.  As others have said he was against a chronically slow Considine yesterday. Controversial but  I might even give Richardson a run there.

Treat the hun game as a free go.  Darvel and Hertz much more important.

Thought Considine was pretty anonymous. 

Can probably do a job for the St Johnstones of the world, but wouldn't want him near the Aberdeen team now. Not if we have ANY aspirations above bottom 6. 

May was another one who did next to fuck all. 

At least when he was with us he hassled defenders with his constant workrate up top, even if he wasn't scoring, but even that seems to have gone from his game. 

Not to labour the point, but I think Kennedy would be a good fit for them. 

5 hours ago, Millertime said:

Ah right

So your barometer for our players now is how our early 80s team played?

Gotcha

If you don't aim for high standards you end up with mediocrity.

I have always said that good teams are built upon sound defensive foundations.

At present our defence falls into the mediocre to pish category, particularly away from home.

I really hope that we bring in a solid defender during this window otherwise our season will continue in the same vein going forwards. 

17 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

If you don't aim for high standards you end up with mediocrity.

I have always said that good teams are built upon sound defensive foundations.

At present our defence falls into the mediocre to pish category, particularly away from home.

I really hope that we bring in a solid defender during this window otherwise our season will continue in the same vein going forwards. 

If you're only comparing current players to the greatest ones in our history then you are up a gum tree

• Upvote 1
On 1/7/2023 at 6:02 PM, NEM said:

Shinnie right in the refs face every time it was needed today. There’s your captain! 

Don’t think I’ve seen Stewart do it ever

One instance where Shinnie was right in the refs face remonstrating with him, I saw Stewart standing away just watching. I realised then that I don't think I had seem that happen at all this season up till now. We were too soft. Glad to have that aspect of Shinnie back, amongst other things. It can only rub off on the rest of the team...hopefully 🤞

• Upvote 3