Lewis Ferguson

14 minutes ago, Millertime said:

In the bank they do, yeah 

I'm going to go full Millertime even though you should never go full Millertime.

They have £70m in the bank yeah? So they will spend all that on one player? You seriously believe they would spend all the money in the bank on transfers rather than council tax? Ferguson hasn't scored in his last 3 games, he's a complete charlatan so why would anyone waste that sort of money on him?

C

R

I

N

G

E

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Russell said:

I'm going to go full Millertime even though you should never go full Millertime.

They have £70m in the bank yeah? So they will spend all that on one player? You seriously believe they would spend all the money in the bank on transfers rather than council tax? Ferguson hasn't scored in his last 3 games, he's a complete charlatan so why would anyone waste that sort of money on him?

C

R

I

N

G

E

You've went too far

I replied to someone saying "they don't have the cash to afford him"

They do, they have 70M in the bank

Now, sit down and apologise 

32 minutes ago, Russell said:

They’d be bast advised to try and add to that for the upcoming settlement bill.

• Upvote 1

Is the other problem no that the kids think the English league is the promise land. It can go great but ye can also get snuffed out and far down the ladder there. 

I would hope that they might look at our success at giving our players a platform and get an actual chance of fitba somewhere. Ferguson is prime example. 

It's shite developing a player who "loves the club" and they go before even playing for us. Ramsay at Liverpool and hopefully he gets through the injury stuff and starts getting game time. That's a move ye go "Aye,good on ye" 

Everyone knew he was a good player and he turned out to be a key one for us very quickly at a young age but even still, quite surprised how well he's done in Italy. Would imagine even though a few European clubs are after him he'll fancy the EPL.

Trying to think of a player that's left us in the last 20 odd years and done better than him, maybe Ryan Fraser a few years ago (before he fell off at Bournemouth).

I think Miovski will do quite well when he inevitably goes.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:28 PM, The Hulk said:

There's valid points on both sides but I'd say the premise of trying harder to hold on to young players we've developed is a good one when you're in the same conversation spunking the guts of a million quid on Jimmy, Pap & Shady Mo.

Really difficult to compete when the likes of Arsenal & Chelsea are sniffing about Lewis Carrol; even if he was never to see the first team bench, it's probably stuck on that he'd go on to have a good career in England where just about any club in the second and third tiers (and many in the fourth), can pay him as much, or more, over a 15 year career, than Aberdeen can. He could stay at Aberdeen, wait and wait and wait to get a chance, and could very easily end up in part-time football by the time he is 20.

The key to it; give them a good performance-related pro contract and make it the "Aberdeen Way" to blood them in the team. Very easy to put at least two 16 or 17 year old on the bench with the size of matchday squads we're allowed.

Surely this post is far to sensible for this particular forum.....

On 2/21/2024 at 7:28 PM, The Hulk said:

There's valid points on both sides but I'd say the premise of trying harder to hold on to young players we've developed is a good one when you're in the same conversation spunking the guts of a million quid on Jimmy, Pap & Shady Mo.

Really difficult to compete when the likes of Arsenal & Chelsea are sniffing about Lewis Carrol; even if he was never to see the first team bench, it's probably stuck on that he'd go on to have a good career in England where just about any club in the second and third tiers (and many in the fourth), can pay him as much, or more, over a 15 year career, than Aberdeen can. He could stay at Aberdeen, wait and wait and wait to get a chance, and could very easily end up in part-time football by the time he is 20.

The key to it; give them a good performance-related pro contract and make it the "Aberdeen Way" to blood them in the team. Very easy to put at least two 16 or 17 year old on the bench with the size of matchday squads we're allowed.

Very interesting perspective my hulky friend.  Would we be better off properly backing young horses from our own stable rather than seeking unknown talents from elsewhere?  Is money better off invested in wages and fees for a well researched (cough, cough) unknown like Morris or Ruby rather than investing further in giving higher wages, bonuses and opportunities to a known but undeveloped and inexperienced Pirie, Carrol, or Bavidge?

8 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Very interesting perspective my hulky friend.  Would we be better off properly backing young horses from our own stable rather than seeking unknown talents from elsewhere?  Is money better off invested in wages and fees for a well researched (cough, cough) unknown like Morris or Ruby rather than investing further in giving higher wages, bonuses and opportunities to a known but undeveloped and inexperienced Pirie, Carrol, or Bavidge?

There’s always a flip side then. Unknown quantities? Then you are talking about not signing Miovski or Duk and just investing in youngsters who in all likelihood won’t turn out to be that good.  

not that many youngsters have left us early doors and gone on to do better than Aberdeen 

9 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

There's a balance to be struck though. 

Less unnecessary overseas signings such as Gueye and McGarry would fund better early contracts and provide earlier opportunities for our best youth players. 

Thats hindsight though. I’m sure they though Gueye and McGarry were going to improve us. 

chelsea have spent quarter of a billion on 2 centre mids and are shite. 

5 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Thats hindsight though. I’m sure they though Gueye and McGarry were going to improve us. 

chelsea have spent quarter of a billion on 2 centre mids and are shite. 

It's not hindsight. It's better planning, scouting and use of our budget. 

Did we really need to pay out a fee for a 4th striker from overseas when we had 3 on the books already? 

It's not a impossible task to do both.  Be a bit more discerning with our overseas signings whilst looking after a few more of our youth players.  Allocate a bit less to external signings and use those funds for internal. 

Yep, Gueye was the most pointless signing of the lot. Spending half a million on him makes it even more baffling. We had a really promising young striker on our books who would be perfectly placed to bring on for 20 mins or if the squad was getting rotated. 

The experience Bavidge is getting at Kelty will also serve him well, but there was zero need to splash out on Gueye

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Did we really need to pay out a fee for a 4th striker from overseas when we had 3 on the books already? 

It's not a impossible task to do both.  Be a bit more discerning with our overseas signings whilst looking after a few more of our youth players.  Allocate a bit less to external signings and use those funds for internal. 

I think better planning, scouting and use of the budget is simplifying it. If Chelsea, Man U and Barcelona are going to have howlers what chance do we have. 

mind you Gueye has looked a whole other level of pish and we certainly needed to strengthen in other areas before the area that we have Miovski and Duk. So you are right there. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Anyone with a modicum of common sense could have told you Morris with zero career goals or assists and struggling to get a game for Fleetwood was a ridiculous signing. Would have been nonsense signing him on a free never mind spending £400k on him 

• Upvote 3
18 minutes ago, NEM said:

Anyone with a modicum of common sense could have told you Morris with zero career goals or assists and struggling to get a game for Fleetwood was a ridiculous signing. Would have been nonsense signing him on a free never mind spending £400k on him 

Correct. Some of that cash could have been spent on Lewis Pirie or suchlike 

• Upvote 1

Aye, it's about balance and use of the budget rather than either/or.  One or two less fees for foreign imports doesn't mean no foreign imports, but it should mean being able to offer our most promising youngsters a bigger salary and more first team opportunities in order to stave off interest from down south.

1 minute ago, Dons21 said:

Scored for Bologna. Hopefully another few quid added to any sell on. We will need it for the championship challenge next season.

Belter of a volley.

YOU GOT IT! 🙂 

CASHED OUT £107.86

Lucky 15 (x15) 

W

2-1

13/2

Correct Score - Atletico Madrid v Betis

15:15 03 March 2024

1-2

11/1

Correct Score - Atalanta v Bologna

72'

Match Stats

1-3

14/1

Correct Score - Mallorca v Girona

HT

Match Stats

1-2

8/1

Correct Score - Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona

20:00 Today

Stake

£15.00

Total Cashed Out

£107.86

Add to betslip

Bet ID: O/4151107/0008447

i bottled it & cashed out a L15 😭

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Belter of a volley.

YOU GOT IT! 🙂 

CASHED OUT £107.86

Lucky 15 (x15) 

W

2-1

13/2

Correct Score - Atletico Madrid v Betis

15:15 03 March 2024

1-2

11/1

Correct Score - Atalanta v Bologna

72'

Match Stats

1-3

14/1

Correct Score - Mallorca v Girona

HT

Match Stats

1-2

8/1

Correct Score - Athletic Bilbao v Barcelona

20:00 Today

Stake

£15.00

Total Cashed Out

£107.86

Add to betslip

Bet ID: O/4151107/0008447

i bottled it & cashed out a L15 😭

Decent profit. Hopefully you don’t regret the cash out too much.