Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

On 12/11/2022 at 8:37 AM, King Street Loon said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Probably idealistic, but I'd sooner keep these youngsters for years if they're good enough so they make a lasting contribution to the first XI rather than 1 season. Look at Ramsey for example, one season and gone.

Never happen though, these lads have big dreams to play down south or abroad. Those dreams shared by their parents who push the situation. 

Might take 3 seasons for a young kid to get to 50 games though? Handful in the first season, 20 the next, 30 games the year after then sold.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:37 AM, King Street Loon said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Probably idealistic, but I'd sooner keep these youngsters for years if they're good enough so they make a lasting contribution to the first XI rather than 1 season. Look at Ramsey for example, one season and gone.

Never happen though, these lads have big dreams to play down south or abroad. Those dreams shared by their parents who push the situation. 

Aye but if it wasn't for ramsay going, would we have Duk and Miovski?

2 hours ago, RUL said:

I believe club would sell Bavidge after 5 games never mind 50 given the chance. 

The difficulty is how they get him in the team with our heavily congested pathway. 

Aberdeen strategy is based on data. Clubs like Liverpool are heavily using data now and ultimately this means Aberdeen are looking to bring through a certain calibre of player, one that they know will come up in data reports for clubs like Liverpool. 

Of course it’s heavily dependent on luck and we are in trouble if the model doesn’t work as we are over spending on first team players hoping to sell them also. 

Players who appear on our database won't be anywhere near Liverpools

2 hours ago, Helmet said:

Might take 3 seasons for a young kid to get to 50 games though? Handful in the first season, 20 the next, 30 games the year after then sold.

When you look at it that way, it doesn't seem so bad, but it just seems so fleeting and a number of those games will be when we perhaps don't see the potential fulfilled by the player before he goes elsewhere. 

It is what it is though. Its modern football. 

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Aye but if it wasn't for ramsay going, would we have Duk and Miovski?

Possibly not. Having listened to the ABZPC it seems like Bojan was on our radar this time last year, but the asking price was too much. So some of the Ramsay fee could have contributed towards the more realistic fee we ended up paying.

9 hours ago, Millertime said:

Players who appear on our database won't be anywhere near Liverpools

I’m meaning about us developing youth talent we know teams like Liverpool will be interested in. So bringing through players with attributes like high pace/crossing. As opposed to databases of aging centre half’s from lower leagues in England. 

3 hours ago, RUL said:

I’m meaning about us developing youth talent we know teams like Liverpool will be interested in. So bringing through players with attributes like high pace/crossing. As opposed to databases of aging centre half’s from lower leagues in England. 

You need a mix in a squad, I’m not sure you could have 11 Ramsay style players in a squad. Age/Ability wise I mean. You need some older wiser heads who just have grit 

36 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

You need a mix in a squad, I’m not sure you could have 11 Ramsay style players in a squad. Age/Ability wise I mean. You need some older wiser heads who just have grit 

I think Aberdeen attitude is they can find better players abroad or elsewhere than local talent to fill the team with the mix you refer to. I’m specifically meaning the type of youth player coming through will be more like athletes.

im not sure I’m explaining this well but going forward the youth coming through will be more like Ramsay and players they feel are sellable, like Bavidge. Players whose running data is likely to be identified by big clubs. It’s unlikely we will bring players through who stay for years as steady players imo. 

5 hours ago, RUL said:

I think Aberdeen attitude is they can find better players abroad or elsewhere than local talent to fill the team with the mix you refer to. I’m specifically meaning the type of youth player coming through will be more like athletes.

im not sure I’m explaining this well but going forward the youth coming through will be more like Ramsay and players they feel are sellable, like Bavidge. Players whose running data is likely to be identified by big clubs. It’s unlikely we will bring players through who stay for years as steady players imo. 

Not sure that's much of a change from the past though is it? Very rarely have we ever brought through youngsters who stick around for years - if they're good they get sold, and if they're not good they get released. Only exception I can really think of in recent years has been Considine. Who else has come through the youth ranks and stuck around for more than say 3 seasons after their debut?

16 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Not sure that's much of a change from the past though is it? Very rarely have we ever brought through youngsters who stick around for years - if they're good they get sold, and if they're not good they get released. Only exception I can really think of in recent years has been Considine. Who else has come through the youth ranks and stuck around for more than say 3 seasons after their debut?

Peter Pawlett, Scott Wright and Scott McKenna I guess ? Connor McLennan played a lot and Dean Campbell too. 

In fairness our record at producing talent hasn’t been great. 

3 hours ago, RUL said:

Peter Pawlett, Scott Wright and Scott McKenna I guess ? Connor McLennan played a lot and Dean Campbell too. 

In fairness our record at producing talent hasn’t been great. 

Well, yeah

Ones who are brilliant will leave early

Ones who are shite will be released

Ones who are ok will stick around

Not rocket science!

10 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Well, no, because why would he be on our own database looking for players?

Swing and a miss sonny jim

The post you replied to referenced our young players being identified in data searches by bigger clubs such as Liverpool. I.e. what happened with ramsay. So try harder old buddy

14 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

The post you replied to referenced our young players being identified in data searches by bigger clubs such as Liverpool. I.e. what happened with ramsay. So try harder old buddy

God knows what I replied to

The point I was making was any players that show up on our database of potential signings won't be anywhere near a database Liverpool look at for signings , bruv

25 minutes ago, Millertime said:

God knows what I replied to

The point I was making was any players that show up on our database of potential signings won't be anywhere near a database Liverpool look at for signings , bruv

But that's not what the post you replied to said. We were discussing the fact out young players who will come through will be ones who will show up highly on data searches by the likes of Liverpool who rely heavily on data. You suggested our players wouldn't show up on a search by Liverpool fc. I suggested otherwise since wee Calvo has just bagged us 6m big ones.

2 hours ago, dazzy_deff said:

But that's not what the post you replied to said. We were discussing the fact out young players who will come through will be ones who will show up highly on data searches by the likes of Liverpool who rely heavily on data. You suggested our players wouldn't show up on a search by Liverpool fc. I suggested otherwise since wee Calvo has just bagged us 6m big ones.

I've already said what I meant and that is a fact

I dont give a fuck what the post I replied to said, it was most likely bollocks just like everything else posted on here by anyone other than me

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Dildo 8
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

U18s went down 5-2 to Hamilton in the cup tonight, despite being 2 up. Lobban sent off in the 2nd half but the last hour of the game totally dominated by the Accies

Marshall and Harvey scorers for the Dons. Marshall the stand out for me again, Bavidge very quiet. Lewis Pirie came on for Harvey, don’t think he touched the ball.

Hear a lot of disgruntled voices regarding Robson’s management pitchside but maybe that’s parents whose son isn’t getting a game! Defence is a shambles anyway. Blair McKenzie off to Crystal Palace apparently 

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

U18s went down 5-2 to Hamilton in the cup tonight, despite being 2 up. Lobban sent off in the 2nd half but the last hour of the game totally dominated by the Accies

Marshall and Harvey scorers for the Dons. Marshall the stand out for me again, Bavidge very quiet. Pirie came on for Harvey, don’t think he touched the ball.

Hear a lot of disgruntled voices regarding Robson’s management pitchside but maybe that’s parents whose son isn’t getting a game! Defence is a shambles anyway. Blair McKenzie off to Crystal Palace apparently 

Heard a story about some of our development squad nae happy with things. Evan Towler being loaned out to 'toughen him up' hasn't gone down well with the lad by all accounts. The Goodwin effect perhaps? Slowly poisoning our club from the bottom up?