Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Harvey took his goal well but missed a sitter earlier. I don’t he’s anywhere near the 1st team level, interesting he didn’t go out on loan last week. Bavidge didn’t have the best of games but there’s clearly a player there.

Lower league clubs have another month to take in loan players though to end of Sept I think, so there is a fair chance he could still go out on loan. Peterhead are still short of players so might be be an option. . 

• Upvote 1

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lewis-pirie-wanted-leeds-crystal-27939497

Fulham and Leeds trying to nick youngster Lewis Pirie.

Hopefully he see's more chance of a pathway here than heading down south when he signs pro terms. Not seen him play but meant to be very talented. Think he went from Dyce to Dundee before we signed him so wouldn't be much compensation if he decides to move on. 

1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lewis-pirie-wanted-leeds-crystal-27939497

Hopefully he see's more chance of a pathway here than heading down south when he signs pro terms. Not seen him play but meant to be very talented. Think he went from Dyce to Dundee before we signed him so wouldn't be much compensation if he decides to move on. 

Yeah we paid about £10k to Dundee for him. 

Scored the first and won the penalty for the second against Denmark on his Scotland debut yesterday.  

On 9/8/2022 at 1:18 PM, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

The difficulty is the pathway. Alfie Bavidge is a year older and obviously Harvey 2 years older both ahead.  Are Aberdeen going to bring through 3 forwards in succession? We already have Ramirez unable to even get a game. Youth players at Aberdeen are on like £200 or something. Leeds will pay significantly more. I think Lewis is a great prospect but doubt they’ll be taking in by promises of a pathway. 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Evan Towler started for Scotland U19 v Malta this afternoon. Ryan Duncan on the bench, hasn’t got on yet but we’re 3-1 up currently.

update - Duncan got on final 15 mins… got fairly involved playing centre midfield, looked confident on the ball, always available, good eye for a pass and quality delivery from set pieces. Hope he gets more game time soon ahead of guys like Kennedy and Morris 

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Evan Towler started for Scotland U19 v Malta this afternoon. Ryan Duncan on the bench, hasn’t got on yet but we’re 3-1 up currently.

update - Duncan got on final 15 mins… got fairly involved playing centre midfield, looked confident on the ball, always available, good eye for a pass and quality delivery from set pieces. Hope he gets more game time soon ahead of guys like Kennedy and Morris 

I’d be playing Duncan ahead of Vinnie as well. 

4 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Towler is left centre half or left back.

I wonder if there’s a recall on his loan in January.

Definitely needs to be in the first team squad from next summer onwards. 

2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Alfie Bavidge hat-trick.

Seems a good prospect & scores regularly 

Not just his goals tonight, he has pace to burn and he worked his socks off.

He must be knocking on the 1st team squad door. 

Great game tonight, played at a very high intensity. Much rather watch the U18s than the shite served up at Pittodrie.

Just now, Don_Corleone said:

Harvey got the other one I believe - both seem to score a lot at that level. Seems to be very rare that young strikers get much of a chance at first team level for whatever reason.

Aye, we’ve seen plenty young forwards over the years that have scored plenty in the youth teams, but not been good enough to do it at first team level.

Wyness & Megginson going back, right up to Shankland & Smith a few years ago 

Hopefully either or both Harvie & Bavidge buck that trend. 

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye, we’ve seen plenty young forwards over the years that have scored plenty in the youth teams, but not been good enough to do it at first team level.

Wyness & Megginson going back, right up to Shankland & Smith a few years ago 

Hopefully either or both Harvie & Bavidge buck that trend. 

Derek Young was prolific in the youths too I seem to remember and then more recently McManus and Bruce Anderson. I guess for several years we’ve only played one up front which immediately limits opportunities - it’s a role that also only suits certain types of strikers so that further reduces the opportunity and then usually your first team strikers will be some of your highest earners so hard to leave them out for a youngster. Some also maybe aren’t ready physically and in that position ithats maybe more important a factor than someone playing at right back or on the wing etc,

13 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Derek Young was prolific in the youths too I seem to remember and then more recently McManus and Bruce Anderson. I guess for several years we’ve only played one up front which immediately limits opportunities - it’s a role that also only suits certain types of strikers so that further reduces the opportunity and then usually your first team strikers will be some of your highest earners so hard to leave them out for a youngster. Some also maybe aren’t ready physically and in that position ithats maybe more important a factor than someone playing at right back or on the wing etc,

Derek Young coaches the 2008 group. My son’s 2007 boys club team, who are decent, played them a few weeks back, got torn apart, some very very good players at that age group, who we will hopefully see more of in a few years.

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Derek Young coaches the 2008 group. My son’s 2007 boys club team, who are decent, played them a few weeks back, got torn apart, some very very good players at that age group, who we will hopefully see more of in a few years.

We seem to be doing well throughout the youth groups - I enjoyed the video feature on redtv about the kids (under 12s I think) who finished 3rd in their recent competition in Holland. Good insight into the work being done, although hard to say at that age who really has potential to make it to the top - we were all superstars at 12!