Dundee 0 - 1 Aberdeen

A project to achieve what exactly though V? To make a top SPL striker out of him? Because that's what we need him to become. It's just not going to happen. He's too slow for a start and he doesnt have a good touch. Those are two essential raw materials and he doesn't have them to begin with.

That's just it though, we shouldn't be in a position where we need him to become a top SPL striker. It shouldn't have happened and hopefully we'll get it sorted soon.

I said the other say about him being 2 years away from being good and I wasn't joking, yes I just plucked 2 years from my arse to demonstrate point but he Cosgrove is the equivalent of a NFL practice squad player, we recruited him for peanuts because we thought that in time he might just be useful.

As a concept that's fine but we fucked it by making him a first pick. He needs to be a bench player or a reserve team player right now - as simple as that.

Keep in mind he's basically just a kid.

That's just it though, we shouldn't be in a position where we need him to become a top SPL striker. It shouldn't have happened and hopefully we'll get it sorted soon.

I said the other say about him being 2 years away from being good and I wasn't joking, yes I just plucked 2 years from my arse to demonstrate point but he Cosgrove is the equivalent of a NFL practice squad player, we recruited him for peanuts because we thought that in time he might just be useful.

As a concept that's fine but we fucked it by making him a first pick. He needs to be a bench player or a reserve team player right now - as simple as that.

Keep in mind he's basically just a kid.

There's no point in us taking anyone in unless we think they're going to develop into a top spl level striker. They've no business being here otherwise.

He's 22 in December.

He played 20 games over various loans in the national leagues and never scored.

He played 12 games for Carlisle and scored once. From a header 3 yards out at a corner.

He's played 9 games for us now and hasn't scored.

Approximately 50 senior games including cup competitions and 1 goal scored. That's not the stats of a striker who's going to make it at any sort of level.

I just don't see him ever developing into a player.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There's no point in us taking anyone in unless we think they're going to develop into a top spl level striker. They've no business being here otherwise.

He's 22 in December.

He played 12 games for Carlisle and scored once. From a header 3 yards out at a corner.

Approximately 50 senior games including cup competitions and 1 goal scored. That's not the stats of a striker who's going to make it at any sort of level.

Sorry but thats bollocks.

If we had a proper choice of strikers Cosgrove would be in the reserves and coming off the bench occasionally and he'd be learning. Then in a year or so we would move him on or keep him based on what we see.

Its a simple strategy and used in lots of sports, Rugby, NFL, even F1 etc. If you can pick up a young wildcard you do it because the risk (fees + wages) are low and the potential gain is quite high.

Our problem right now is the lad should be about 4th or 5th choice NOT 1st or even 2nd choice.

EDIT: and as for "young", he absolutely is in the sense I meant - which is that he's still way behind the curve in his development, he doesn't look like he's been coached very well in the past and he's essentially quite immature in his play, target man isn't actually the easiest thing to learn either, quite often take a while for some players to mature.

I'm not saying he's going to be good but the point is he's being badly exposed by the club and that's not his fault. Signing a few project players is a great idea and we should keep doing it, but someone at the club needs to realise these aren't really first team signings.

EDIT2: Its a pity we don't seem to have a project player full back on the books, because everyone seems to be saying Harrington and Harvie (when he was here) weren't even worth a start when the first choice was unavailable. Crazy.

• Upvote 1

Age is a bit irrelevant right now.

We don't know what to expect, that's why he's a "project" player.

He absolutely should not be leading our line right now but people are judging him as an first team signing.

You obviously like him V and that's fair enough. His stats, his age (whether you think relevant or not), his lack of ball control and his lack of pace suggest it's going to be a "project" which turns out to be a "mission impossible"

Glad to see May actually trying for once. Cosgrove poop, the nutters have no defence on this subject anymore. He's plum, let's move on.

Can't believe how well the defence has held up despite being so depleted. They'll be fucking solid at full strength.

Time ticking for Rat McCann. Odious little prick.

Proper gents / 90s gents should just form a break away club when we move to Westhill imho.

Nah fuck that. Kick all the poofs and women out to form a breakaway club where they can heart emoji about Mcinnes and wear half 'n' half scarves until they're seeping at the seams.

Reclaim Aberdeen, Simmie, Durrant's capitulated knee, Willie Miller, Ricksen's wheelchair and offensive songs for the proper gents.

• Upvote 1

He's 22 in December.

Josh Magennis was a keeper we signed as a striker that got moved to left back because he was a shite striker. He was pap for his entire Aberdeen career but it could be argued now that we let him go too early.

20 goals last season, 2 already this season and a regular international.

Not every player develops at the same pace and from the same age as Beckham, Owen or Rooney.

Saying that you can guarantee that if we sign a striker before the end of the transfer window Cosgrove will be playing a lot more reserve fitba than first team this season.

• Upvote 1