Aberdeen 0 - 2 St Johnstone

Were maybe only playing that way because of the personnel available

The youngsters were FUCKING shite which hopefully puts that to bed

Young players have bad games. Every fan knows this. Its the senior players around them who are playing horribly that we need to be concerned with.

Glad to see there are no histrionics on this forum.

I actually thought that it was the same problem as has been the problem all season, the simple inability to score.

We were actually all over them for long periods but no service into the box and no-one willing to shoot.

May had a few opportunities but honestly looked to be desperately looking for anyone ANYONE to pass to rather than having a go.....that and not following the ball in to capitalise on any mistakes in the box.

I reckon that Anderson and Maclennan up front might be an interesting experiment.

• Downvote 1

That was really fucking horrible.

Not surprising in the least as this is McInnes 2018-19.

We have fuck all in the way of flair and creativity.

He has made us into a team who it appears only has one way of winning games, by grinding out 1-0s and shutting up shop.

This is not a direction I am happy to see AFC take.

Del boy has to be taken to task over his utterly abysmal summer transfers.

We are fucking putrid to watch.

No amount of backs to the wall, scraped 1-0 wins over the pretendy Gers can make up for that.

• Upvote 3

Thing is, of course he's going to say it, because it's true. We've played 3 games in 6 days, one of which for 10 men. Not going to get shy easier though so needs to find ways of getting more from the squad.

Surely the thing is, he should be able to rest tired players but Tansey, Gleason and Forrester are nowhere to be seen, and Wilson is bit part at most. They are all Del's signings and he has to be held accountable for that.

McInnes states the players are tired which is ok, hard going in Glasgow. However he has Forrester, Gleeson and Wilson on the bench likely on the guts of £8-10k a week and he doesn't freshen the team up with them - can only think he thinks they aren't good enough which is obviously his fault for signing them

Spot on. He could have freshened the team up far more than he actually did. But he chose not to and therefore can't use tiredness as an excuse. He's got another 6 games to negotiate over the next 3 weeks so not a good idea to be spouting the "we are tired" line at this stage.

Looking at this from a positive perspective, we have a run of very winnable games leading up to the hearts game at pittodrie so we can turn it around. Realistically we aren’t a great team and the rest of the league is more competitive so obviously we are going to struggle. Again from a positive perspective, we are that poor in midfield/up top that there is plenty of scope to sign improvements in jan, literally any number 10 or striker would improve us. The position we are in is recoverable yet people on here have thrown in the towel.

• Upvote 1

You don't think it was a factor?

USE THE SQUAD THEN!

There were folk, including myself, saying this before the game!  The players were obviously going to be a bit tired! 

That's why folk are getting annoying.  Everyone knew he'd pick the same team, even if they were knackered, and everyone knew he'd have this ready made excuse if we lost!

Of course those of us who watched the game, will be able to appreciate that fatigue was certainly not the fundamental flaw in yesterdays abortion.

McInnes states the players are tired which is ok, hard going in Glasgow. However he has Forrester, Gleeson and Wilson on the bench likely on the guts of £8-10k a week and he doesn't freshen the team up with them - can only think he thinks they aren't good enough which is obviously his fault for signing them

Tired They have had more breaks that are in a box of KIT KATS they are SUPPOSED to be professional athletes. So Mcinnes stateing TIRED is an excuse from a manager who had run out of idears. And players who are no f---- use.

USE THE SQUAD THEN!

There were folk, including myself, saying this before the game!  The players were obviously going to be a bit tired! 

That's why folk are getting annoying.  Everyone knew he'd pick the same team, even if they were knackered, and everyone knew he'd have this ready made excuse if we lost!

Of course those of us who watched the game, will be able to appreciate that fatigue was certainly not the fundamental flaw in yesterdays abortion.

Agree with you here. There's no point moaning about tiredness being a factor when he did nothing to really prevent this. You've got seasoned pros like Gleeson and Forrester just warming the bench who SHOULD be more than capable of maybe playing in place of Ferguson or Shinnie...but maybe that's a recruitment problem...

Also, unfortunately this season we are actually on a level with the likes of St Johnstone. If they play well and we don't, they'll beat us. Obviously I'm not happy at all with the regression of our squad in the past 18 months and want something done about it in January (for a change), but this is where we find ourselves.

Agree with you here. There's no point moaning about tiredness being a factor when he did nothing to really prevent this. You've got seasoned pros like Gleeson and Forrester just warming the bench who SHOULD be more than capable of maybe playing in place of Ferguson or Shinnie...but maybe that's a recruitment problem...

Also, unfortunately this season we are actually on a level with the likes of St Johnstone. If they play well and we don't, they'll beat us. Obviously I'm not happy at all with the regression of our squad in the past 18 months and want something done about it in January (for a change), but this is where we find ourselves.

On your first point... Has McInnes ever, during his entire tenure, rotated his squad?  Again, that's rhetorical.  I know the answer.  He has always flogged the same 11 or 12 players, week in, week out... there are positives with this approach.  The continuity at times has allowed us to play with great fluency... back during the Hayes, McGinn, McLean and Jack era.  However, when the system isn't working there are obvious drawbacks... 

On the second point, many of us have been screaming for years about a succession of meek, spineless performances against the Glasgow teams. I've been asking for us to stand up to them for years.  Finally we're seeing that happen.  However, this seems to have come at the expense of creative, expansive football.  I do think McInnes has had his hand forced to a certain extent, although this has been through his own mistakes in the transfer market.  Last summer was a disastrous transfer window... you'd see managers at other clubs sacked for less.  Including Forresters transfer fee, it frightens me to think how much Forrester, Gleeson (an irish international), Wilson  are take home every week! It ranks up there with this beauty:

caldo.jpg

In addition, you look at other non-contributors, including Tansey and May, who will both be on top dollar (also a transfer fee for May).  Our squad is now starting to look like it's in a bit of a mess...  McInnes really needs a good January. 

Yours is a glaring example of ignorance though

Gleeson has had fitness issues, Forrester has had family issues, hardly mcinnes fault

May is a defensive forward which is a role he plays well

So, in summary, your post is a lot like @@Dad s bladder - doesn't hold water

Gleeson has been available for the vast majority of the season.  Forrester has been missing through his family tragedy for a couple of week - he returned to the bench yesterday.

May is a defensive forward?  First I've heard of it?  He used to do a great impression of an aggressive, goalscorer at St. Johnstone.  Particularly when he was tearing our defense a new one!

What about Wilson and old mate Tansey?

Wilson, Tansey, Forrester, Gleeson, May.  Our (in)famous five.  What would they be pulling in a week between them?  I shudder to think!  They'd all be among our top earners.  On top of that, we've got about GBP 600,000 in transfer fees!

MT, I love you on here, but you are out of your depth!

• Upvote 1

A defensive forward is still supposed to capitalize on the errors they force from defenders.

I have seen some belters on here trying to excuse piss strikers but fuck me. Running around a lot is a new low.

I'm still wiping the tears, from reading that last post!  

The defensive forward is an absolute belter!  Even if that was his role, you then have to ask why McInnes lining up with 4-5-1, where the lone striker was employed with a defensive remit, for a home fixture to St. Johnstone!

• Upvote 1

You're the one out your depth pal

May is clearly a defensive forward and if you watch him properly, does a good job of it

Forrester is top class but taking a while to settle then had a personal tragedy

Gleeson has been unfit and injured

Tansey is an alcoholic

Mcinnes has been extremely unlucky

Greenbeer

• Upvote 1