January 2021

12 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

1 of those is pretty much a certainty

Another 1 might be a possibility.

2 won't be joining us (thank fuck)

Ross Stewart can join the band of non-scoring strikers. 
Stewart & Brophy. Jesus Christ ?
One hasn’t scored in open play this season in about 15 league games & the other is Kilmarnock’s 3rd choice striker just now.

Let the good times roll 

13 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

(Ferguson)Seemed happier dropping deep to take the ball off the centre halves rather than getting forward. 

.....which I could accept if McCrorie was driving on and getting beyond/assisting  the strikers.
Then we had the farcical situation of Main dropping way too deep and not giving the midfielders any focal point.

It’s just a mess and needs fixing ASAP.

2 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

.....which I could accept if McCrorie was driving on and getting beyond/assisting  the strikers.
Then we had the farcical situation of Main dropping way too deep and not giving the midfielders any focal point.

It’s just a mess and needs fixing ASAP.

Even that useless cunt Connolly had an easy game yesterday as he knew exactly what Main was going to do. All they had to do was match him physically. 

A mobile striker would have given him nightmares. 

I'd seriously consider putting Hedges up front at the moment. 

24 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye, they would improve the squad. But would they improve the starting line up? 

Let’s face it, if we aspire to be a team seriously challenging for honours, then McGinn is done, as is Logan (can’t believe there is a option to extend his deal by a further year)

Main and Cosgrove are beyond a joke and it doesn’t reflect well on our youth policy that we have NOBODY coming through the ranks pushing them for their place. Anderson won’t. Ethan Ross might, the boy Ruth (not part of our though system) might as well but AFC have always had young strikers bursting a gut to get into the 1st team. Are they being held back because it doesn’t fit the profile of the manager? Is the youth coaching sub standard? Scouting? 

And somebody should be held accountable for taking in the plethora of striking duds like Storey, Zola, Goodwillie, Parker, Edmundson, Main, the black lad who never scored...,

etc etc

8 hours ago, Hoppy said:

Brophy > Main

GMS > McGinn

Stewart > (the space that Cosgrove will leave)

Cadden / O’Donnell > Logan

Campbell > (the space Ferguson will leave)

Not sure you have really grasped who these players would (potentially) be replacing

Brophy would be the replacement for Wright should he leave (and be a bit more expensive). I'd rather offer Wright a bit more and keep him tbh.

GMS....would certainly take McGinn's place in the squad but there are a number of players....Hedges, bit-part McGinn, Hayes, McLennan....whom he could supplant for a place in the side. (and again...a bit more expensive than McGinn)

Stewart....Main's replacement. If it turns out that he is actually Cosgrove's replacement then we are fucked. (broadly neutral cost wise....might even come very slightly cheaper than Main)

Cadden......because I've already said that O'Donnell will NOT be joining......technically takes Logan's spot in the squad.(although Logan might just about get enough games to trigger his one year extension). But would more be in competition with Kennedy for a spot in the side. And for me Cadden > Kennedy. (cost covered by getting Hernandez out the door)

Campbell........yes I agree would be Ferguson's long term replacement. Might see them play together for 6-12 months max. (cost....eventually covered by Ferguson leaving. Probably need to offer wages at the top end of our structure to keep him out of English sides' clutches) 

14 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Clearly.

Hayes has lost that burst of pace that takes him past the full back and to the byeline but he slung in at least 3 low crosses in the 1st half alone, from level with the 18 yd box, that just required the end of a toe.

WTF do they work on at £20m Cormack Park?

Passing sideways and back. They are expert at that!!

46 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He's not the finished article yet.  

He needed to take control of that midfield second half and drive us on but he never.  Seemed happier dropping deep to take the ball off the centre halves rather than getting forward. 

100%

I think he actually regressed over the last few months but I could say that about a number of players.

McCrorie being another one. A lot of promise and potential with the two of them but they don't deliver enough on a consistent basis. Mcinnes not getting the best out of either of them. 

25 minutes ago, AllyDon said:

100%

I think he actually regressed over the last few months but I could say that about a number of players.

McCrorie being another one. A lot of promise and potential with the two of them but they don't deliver enough on a consistent basis. Mcinnes not getting the best out of either of them. 

I'm starting to think a 352 with three central midfielders might be the way to go so we can get more possession in the middle.  Campbell/McGeouch can do the job of taking the ball off the centre backs, allowing the other two to get forward more. 

I'd play Wright and Hedges in the two up front which might be controversial to some. 

You win games by dominating the middle of the park.  We just fucking emptied it in the second half yesterday. 

33 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'm starting to think a 352 with three central midfielders might be the way to go so we can get more possession in the middle.  Campbell/McGeouch can do the job of taking the ball off the centre backs, allowing the other two to get forward more. 

I'd play Wright and Hedges in the two up front which might be controversial to some. 

You win games by dominating the middle of the park.  We just fucking emptied it in the second half yesterday. 

I’m not sure what’s wrong with 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1.

Means we’d need to sign a pair of full backs (Leigh for the LB slot, or that black laddie -  Nwegua - or however you spell it)

Kennedy would be better suited to that formation, Hayes not so but I think it suits the majority of the squad that we have.

7 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

I’m not sure what’s wrong with 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1.

Means we’d need to sign a pair of full backs (Leigh for the LB slot, or that black laddie -  Nwegua - or however you spell it)

Kennedy would be better suited to that formation, Hayes not so but I think it suits the majority of the squad that we have.

We've got no decent full backs, that's why he went with a 3 in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Correct but how difficult can it be to source a puckle of full backs or god forbid, bring through a pair of youngsters for those areas?

Good point. 

Can't remember the last time we brought through a full back who stayed in the team in that position.  On either side. 

The boy Murray made some fleeting appearances at right back early in McInnes' reign.  Same with Harvie on the other side. Grimmer wasn't here long and barely featured.  Same with Clark Robertson.  Played Joe for a while out of position at right back. 

Slim pickings 

41 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Good point. 

Can't remember the last time we brought through a full back who stayed in the team in that position.  On either side. 

The boy Murray made some fleeting appearances at right back early in McInnes' reign.  Same with Harvie on the other side. Grimmer wasn't here long and barely featured.  Same with Clark Robertson.  Played Joe for a while out of position at right back. 

Slim pickings 

A decent coach with a decent scouting network could easily pick up a pair of full backs from Europe, the lower leagues of Scotland or England,  or develop from within.
Don’t need to be world beaters in those positions, just steady Eddie’s that can primarily defend. All about the collective, not 11 individuals.

Logan has been the only decent full back in DM’s almost 8 yr tenure. (Max Lowe doesn’t count as he was never ours, or Michael Hector)

Another stick to beat the current manager with

29 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Correct but how difficult can it be to source a puckle of full backs or god forbid, bring through a pair of youngsters for those areas?

If we were doing that surely hickey would have been on the radar instead of letting the weegie 2 wanting him first then moving to Bologna.we are far two slow at identifying young talent especially at defending players 

1 hour ago, Redmist1903 said:

I'm unsure how you have came to the conclusion, doesn't make sense to me.

I was replying to Hoppy who said Brophy > Main

That may well be the case but he wouldn't be comparing like for like so it's not really relevant.

If we were to sign Brophy (and I sincerely hope we don't) then he would surely be as a replacement for Wright who has yet to sign the new contract offered to him. Brophy is not an out and out striker. But he is physically similar to Wright, using his speed and mobility to create chances for himself and others, not brute force.

3 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Let’s face it, if we aspire to be a team seriously challenging for honours, then McGinn is done, as is Logan (can’t believe there is a option to extend his deal by a further year)

Main and Cosgrove are beyond a joke and it doesn’t reflect well on our youth policy that we have NOBODY coming through the ranks pushing them for their place. Anderson won’t. Ethan Ross might, the boy Ruth (not part of our though system) might as well but AFC have always had young strikers bursting a gut to get into the 1st team. Are they being held back because it doesn’t fit the profile of the manager? Is the youth coaching sub standard? Scouting? 

And somebody should be held accountable for taking in the plethora of striking duds like Storey, Zola, Goodwillie, Parker, Edmundson, Main, the black lad who never scored...,

etc etc

Goodwillie wasn't a dud..

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
4 hours ago, Dons79 said:

If we were doing that surely hickey would have been on the radar instead of letting the weegie 2 wanting him first then moving to Bologna.we are far two slow at identifying young talent especially at defending players 

Where were we getting the money from to purchase Hickey?