January 2021

5 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

He has a good ratio at u21s; 10 goals in 16 games. And if the alternative option is callum fucking hendry i am hoping for Hornby all day long...

I agree but our scouting is pretty poor when all we can come up with is Scottish strikers struggling to get a game for there clubs

2 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

I agree but our scouting is pretty poor when all we can come up with is Scottish strikers struggling to get a game for there clubs

Let's be honest if any player in any league is playing for their club they will want a fee involved which maybe we just can't afford even with the cosgrove money coming in. If it's a loan we are looking at, they are more than likely not going to be playing. 

14 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

He has a good ratio at u21s; 10 goals in 16 games. And if the alternative option is callum fucking hendry i am hoping for Hornby all day long...

Aye its his under 21 record that makes it interesting. 

He also had a semi successful spell on loan in the Belgian league which is probably worth looking at but I'm not up to speed with that league these days. 

If it's Hornby, will it not be a nightmare to get him over from France? Will he have to show a negative test etc? Will he have to quarantine? Its a big month for us fixture wise, so ideally anyone coming in to replace our main striker would be available from the go.

1 minute ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

If it's Hornby, will it not be a nightmare to get him over from France? Will he have to show a negative test etc? Will he have to quarantine? Its a big month for us fixture wise, so ideally anyone coming in to replace our main striker would be available from the go.

Sportsmen are exempt aren't they?

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye its his under 21 record that makes it interesting. 

He also had a semi successful spell on loan in the Belgian league which is probably worth looking at but I'm not up to speed with that league these days. 

He also knows all the U21 lads we have, so wouldn't find it difficult to settle. From what I've seen of him he's a big lad who's quite quick as well. His Everton reserve side also won the Reserve Premier League, which some folk might scoff at, but he bagged heaps of goals in doing so.

8 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

Scouting of these types of players is what we should be doing! Remember we need someone who can settle quickly and understands the language. A good scoring rate at u21s and just needs a platform, I bet if this was a Spanish or Italian boy we would be imagining the next Raul etc. Remember also Brexit plays it’s part now it’s a point based system a lot of people at out budget level won’t get in. For months we have been saying more deals for Ferguson types, this is it! Unfortunately it’s a loan but it’s an opportunity for him to get his career back on track so should be keen and positive 

Just now, The Boofon said:

I thought so, but I would've thought that was for International matches etc. I don't know about transfers, you'd imagine it would be the same.

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

Callum Hendry is energetic and aggressive, he caused our defenders a wee bit of strife in the first game we we played them this season by closing them down quickly. 

But from what little I've seen of Ethan Ross he seems pretty similar so I'd rather we have our own guy getting a shot. 

Ethan Ross is a forward thinking midfielder, Hendry is a striker. 

8 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I assume why we are also looking at Hendry who would be good to go, they will be weighing up the best option 

One thing that does my nut in about Dons fans, especially a few on Twitter, is the expectation that every striker we bring in has to have a good goalscoring record in recent times. 

Unless that player is coming from the Scottish Championship, or one of the other lower Scottish leagues, they won't be joining Aberdeen. The chairman has made it as clear as he can that finances are bad at the moment, but you'll still see folk whinging about whoever we bring in. 

If a player is scoring goals in the Scottish premiership, English League 2, English League 1, or the English Championship, there is absolutely no way Aberdeen will be able to afford them, that is the way of it. Prolific strikers are hard to come by, so our market in this area will always be either projects to work on, or guys who have previously proved they can bag, and want to recapture some form with us. 

3 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

One thing that does my nut in about Dons fans, especially a few on Twitter, is the expectation that every striker we bring in has to have a good goalscoring record in recent times. 

Unless that player is coming from the Scottish Championship, or one of the other lower Scottish leagues, they won't be joining Aberdeen. The chairman has made it as clear as he can that finances are bad at the moment, but you'll still see folk whinging about whoever we bring in. 

If a player is scoring goals in the Scottish premiership, English League 2, English League 1, or the English Championship, there is absolutely no way Aberdeen will be able to afford them, that is the way of it. Prolific strikers are hard to come by, so our market in this area will always be either projects to work on, or guys who have previously proved they can bag, and want to recapture some form with us. 

Depends very much on the role that striker is going to play as well. 

Do we want a guy to get the 10-11 outfield goals that Cosgrove got in each the last 2 seasons on his own 

Or do we want a guy that's going to help the team achieve that collectively. 

In an ideal world we want a boy who can emulate Rooney with goals per season but in reality what we should be scouting for is a link up player who can bring others in far more often so spreading the goals. If we could get 4 or 5 players with 10-12 a season that would lift us and not be so reliant one 1 player who we really feel we lose if injured or suspended 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Depends very much on the role that striker is going to play as well. 

Do we want a guy to get the 10-11 outfield goals that Cosgrove got in each the last 2 seasons on his own 

Or do we want a guy that's going to help the team achieve that collectively. 

Just anyone who can aid getting the ball in the fucking net, I would say, Whether its them doing it themselves, creating the space for others, or bringing our forward thinking players into play. 

30 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Let's be honest if any player in any league is playing for their club they will want a fee involved which maybe we just can't afford even with the cosgrove money coming in. If it's a loan we are looking at, they are more than likely not going to be playing. 

If he hasn't been playing how fit is he going to be, his first team exposure is very limited also and will need a fair bit of time to find his feet considering he has no experience of the SPFL

48 minutes ago, The Gee Man said:

Scouting of these types of players is what we should be doing! Remember we need someone who can settle quickly and understands the language. A good scoring rate at u21s and just needs a platform, I bet if this was a Spanish or Italian boy we would be imagining the next Raul etc. Remember also Brexit plays it’s part now it’s a point based system a lot of people at out budget level won’t get in. For months we have been saying more deals for Ferguson types, this is it! Unfortunately it’s a loan but it’s an opportunity for him to get his career back on track so should be keen and positive 

We would match if not beat Reims. He hasn’t made it onto pitch in about 15 games. Not even in match day squad some games. It isn’t a great indication. However I’d still take a chance on him.

14 minutes ago, slippers said:

We would match if not beat Reims. He hasn’t made it onto pitch in about 15 games. Not even in match day squad some games. It isn’t a great indication. However I’d still take a chance on him.

D48-B57-EE-6-AC4-43-CD-AA93-5-C4-A2-B866
a don’t think we would?. Would we get a point away at Marseille beating st ettienne and Bordeaux and Nantes?

doubtfull 

1 hour ago, The Boofon said:

Not sure they are. The  rugby international season is about to kick off. Scotland are the first team to play in Paris on the third week of it and as it stands, it seems that they'd have to quarantine on arrival back in Edinburgh. Because of this (and the French supposedly might refuse to play from the first week anyway regardless of this) it's up in arms as to whether they're going to play the competition at all

3 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Not sure they are. The  rugby international season is about to kick off. Scotland are the first team to play in Paris on the third week of it and as it stands, it seems that they'd have to quarantine on arrival back in Edinburgh. Because of this (and the French supposedly might refuse to play from the first week anyway regardless of this) it's up in arms as to whether they're going to play the competition at all

Tuchel just took a test and started next day tho?

13 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

D48-B57-EE-6-AC4-43-CD-AA93-5-C4-A2-B866
a don’t think we would?. Would we get a point away at Marseille beating st ettienne and Bordeaux and Nantes?

doubtfull 

They are big names but not particularly good sides these days. I think we would definitely give them a game. Look at Burnley finishing 7th on EPL and everyone said we didn’t stand a chance and we took them to ET over 2 legs. Reims are certainly no world beaters.