Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

Last season we came within inches of winning the Scottish Cup against a very good Celtic side. So I feel a degree of satisfaction, given where Aberdeen was before I arrived.

Loser mentality. He should of been absolutely fucking gutted. It gave me no satisfaction whatsoever.

Strange words indeed from a man who claims to love this club. That cup final might have been the most devastated I've ever felt at fitba. There was nothing to feel satisfied about. Don't think a word was spoken on our bus until we hit Stirling. Glad he slept well that night, in the comfort that he knows why he made the decisions that he made though.

If you're reading Derek, can you let GMS receive the ball when he is going toward the opposition instead of inside our half facing our goal with a defender tight on him?

I know it's crazy but you could also let the team play the ball into space for GMS and McGinn or whoever (NOT Rooney)is playing wide to run on to.

The team that makes the fewest mistakes usually wins is your, and Mourinho's, mantra but there is a time to cut loose. Lets try and get a bit more dynamism in the team by letting them some leeway as the players on the pitch have more to show than we are currently seeing.

If you're reading Derek, can you let GMS receive the ball when he is going toward the opposition instead of inside our half facing our goal with a defender tight on him?

I know it's crazy but you could also let the team play the ball into space for GMS and McGinn or whoever (NOT Rooney)is playing wide to run on to.

The team that makes the fewest mistakes usually wins is your, and Mourinho's, mantra but there is a time to cut loose. Lets try and get a bit more dynamism in the team by letting them some leeway as the players on the pitch have more to show than we are currently seeing.

Enough of that forward thinking malarkey!

Sometimes it is easy for people to point out our failings, rather than what we have achieved. But I think we have achieved considerably as a coaching staff and as a team, if you consider the fate of Aberdeen over the previous decade before I came in. Five years ago Ross Country could beat Aberdeen. Caley Thistle could beat Aberdeen. St Johnstone could beat Aberdeen. So weve come a long way from those days.

The fuck

I dont have a huge problem with what Deek is saying. Agree with your points above re satisfied if a little frustrated (with the cup thing) versus absolutely fucking gutted © AFCHat.

There is clearly an element, certainly a perception of the same malaise now POTENTIALLY settling for 3rd, just like that lower quality side settling for 9th that he referred to. I realise he would counter that hes third by 2 points with a game in hand but thats the challenge he has set himself. No-one will enjoy the humble pie more than me when he proves me wrong and takes home 2nd and parades the cup.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Five years ago Ross Country could beat Aberdeen. Caley Thistle could beat Aberdeen. St Johnstone could beat Aberdeen. So weve come a long way from those days.

So I feel a degree of satisfaction, given where Aberdeen was before I arrived.

Just a couple of comments.

Top quote a bit strange give McInnes has lost against those sides 13 times across his 4 full seasons.

Bad examples?

Second quote is a bit of a cop out.

He shouldn't be judging on what has went before, which was so bad your average hatter could probably have improved the team.

Best to concentrate on making us the best we possibly can be rather than laying comparisons against the utter dross that preceded.

Ive heard the criticism that weve not won enough of our big games and maybe its fair, maybe its valid, he says. Im not averse to criticism.

Yes Derek. Maybe just maybe losing every game this season vs the Huns and Tims is not good enough.

The criticism comes from the way we play and line up. Attack them and lose and Ill accept it.

• Upvote 1

Ive heard the criticism that weve not won enough of our big games and maybe its fair, maybe its valid, he says. Im not averse to criticism.

Yes Derek. Maybe just maybe losing every game this season vs the Huns and Tims is not good enough.

The criticism comes from the way we play and line up. Attack them and lose and Ill accept it.

Im not usually the guy who thinks stuff is simple but in this case I really think this is as simple as your last line above.

Totally agree, I think over the last 5 Years bar maybe half of last season the general style of play has been negative with a lot of long ball stuff, this style a manger will get away with when you are winning but it wears thin when the results are poor and taking nothing on a regular basis against the ugly sisters will certainly make things a bit more hard for the manager especially when just about every other team is getting results against them

Take the game like we did to Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final every time we play the OF and we’d have won a few of the games this season.

Since then the tactics, line-ups and performances have been horrendous and the reason he has a huge amount of fans on his back.

The fact we can guess his line ups and tactics prior to playing the vermin is laughable. Imagine how easy it is to scout/plan against us?

No pressing the back 4

No pace

No width (Christie/Rooney) outwide

Slow left back and a rightback that backs off until he’s in the stands

Shinnie who will get a yellow in the first 30

Joke min, enough football chat for me anyway

@pints

Top quote a bit strange give McInnes has lost against those sides 13 times across his 4 full seasons.

Bad examples?

He shouldn't be judging on what has went before, which was so bad your average hatter could probably have improved the team.

Best to concentrate on making us the best we possibly can be rather than laying comparisons against the utter dross that preceded.

Yeah, thought the St Johnstone one was a strange one particularly to bring up.

Bad examples?

I understand that the job of a football manager is continual improvement, and you're judged against expectations, so any kind of regression from last season is disappointing. But I really don't think the bit in bold is true. The 15 years before McInnes were largely terrible, and the succession of managers we had weren't able to improve the team in a meaningful way. That suggests to me it wasn't as easy as you make out.

As an aside, I'm not sure what the average hatter would be qualified for, but I wouldn't trust him within a mile of anything I love. ;)

McInnes has landed lucky with McKenna.

Either our best player for next season by the looks of it or a youngster developed and sold on for a healthy sum.

If we had beat Motherwell 4-0 in the league cup Id not be convinced McKenna would have started any games for us

• Upvote 5

McInnes has landed lucky with McKenna.

Either our best player for next season by the looks of it or a youngster developed and sold on for a healthy sum.

If we had beat Motherwell 4-0 in the league cup Id not be convinced McKenna would have started any games for us

Fucking hell. So he's lucky when he develops a youngster now.

• Downvote 1

So no one wants to applaud McInnes for sorting out the professionalism that was sadly lacking at the club? Probably only if we can beat one or both of the ugly two I'd think

No need to be singular though is there.

We can both applaud McInnes for sorting out the lack of professionalism, moving the club forward, competing at the right end of the table and bringing back some self respect - but also justifiably run a critical eye over the failings of the current team.

• Upvote 5