Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

A game which McInnes did change with a substitution, mores the pity

I'm still sore at that. Game was crying out for Pawlett and it would have been his last match as an Aberdeen player. Laddie should have been sent out onto the pitch with 'go and score the winner and write yourself into Dons folklore'-type speech ringing in his ears. Instead he put on Anthony O'Connor, because tactics. 

It was a cup final FFS, what was he trying to achieve? Playing for a draw? 

Okay, let’s look at it from a different perspective. Which games have we lost yet you’ve gone away thinking it was fine because we played good football?

What sort of an argument is that, so you would rather win 1-0 every week with two shots on target and fuck about with the ball at the back rather the ups and downs of maybe humping someone 6-1 with the gamble that we will lose a few games on the way?

Of course we want to win every game but you want to be entertained and there is a time and a place to grind out results but the reason people go to watch football is for fun.

Okay, let’s look at it from a different perspective. Which games have we lost yet you’ve gone away thinking it was fine because we played good football?

There was a game against Celtic a few seasons ago where we absolutely battered them, probably the best 60+ minutes I've seen us have against Celtic in my lifetime, but somehow we ended up losing that game. Same with that Rangers game we lost 3-0.

2017 Scottish Cup Final.

3-1 (I think) to Celtic when we were 3-0 down in 10 minutes, played really well minus that horrendous start.

Going out to Burnley in the Europa League. Went toe to toe with them and gave a good account of ourselves.

4-2 against the huns last season we played well. Disappointing result but we got shafted by the referee that night when we were the better team for much of the game.

2017 Scottish Cup Final.

3-1 (I think) to Celtic when we were 3-0 down in 10 minutes, played really well minus that horrendous start.

Going out to Burnley in the Europa League. Went toe to toe with them and gave a good account of ourselves.

4-2 against the huns last season we played well. Disappointing result but we got shafted by the referee that night when we were the better team for much of the game.

It was 2-1 and yes we played very well. Should have won but for the glaring McLean miss

What sort of an argument is that, so you would rather win 1-0 every week with two shots on target and fuck about with the ball at the back rather the ups and downs of maybe humping someone 6-1 with the gamble that we will lose a few games on the way?

Of course we want to win every game but you want to be entertained and there is a time and a place to grind out results but the reason people go to watch football is for fun.

People are claiming they don’t mind losing if we play good football and are entertained. I’m asking when this has ever happened, so far two games.

It’s bollocks. Folk can claim it all they want but it’s winning that fans really want.

• Downvote 1

I'm still sore at that. Game was crying out for Pawlett and it would have been his last match as an Aberdeen player. Laddie should have been sent out onto the pitch with 'go and score the winner and write yourself into Dons folklore'-type speech ringing in his ears. Instead he put on Anthony O'Connor, because tactics. 

It was a cup final FFS, what was he trying to achieve? Playing for a draw?

Yeah taking on O’Connor was the only blemish on an otherwise great and unlucky performance

2017 Scottish Cup Final.

Agreed

People are claiming they don’t mind losing if we play good football and are entertained. I’m asking when this has ever happened, so far two games.

It’s bollocks. Folk can claim it all they want but it’s winning that fans really want.

Here’s another.

Back in 1995 a few games to go, played Killie at home, some great football but no luck at all and lost 1-0.

Players were applauded off the park because the support recognised the effort they had put in and it was the catalyst for us staying up and United getting relegated.

Here’s another.

Back in 1995 a few games to go, played Killie at home, some great football but no luck at all and lost 1-0.

Players were applauded off the park because the support recognised the effort they had put in and it was the catalyst for us staying up and United getting relegated.

24 years ago? That’s the most recent example for you?

I’m also not talking about effort, I’m talking about “playing entertaining football” and losing.

Ffs you must see you are in the wrong here and I appreciate you are not wanting to backtrack.

Why would anyone not want to watch attacking football?

It has been stated many times that it is acceptable to “Park the bus” at times, nobody is going to Man City and playing three up

front but in general terms people go to games to see their team play well and have a go.

I’m also not talking about effort, I’m talking about “playing entertaining football” and losing.

Did I say it was the most recent example? I was putting forward an example of what you had asked.

I did say they played some great football as well as the effort they put in despite losing.

• Upvote 1

Did I say it was the most recent example? I was putting forward an example of what you had asked.

I did say they played some great football as well as the effort they put in despite losing.

Can think of loads of examples - here's another - Ebbe's first season in charge, team gets off to a historically crap start, haven't even scored a goal by mid-September, play the Arabs at Pittodrie and lose 2-1 but the team gets applauded off the park because they played really well for the first time that season and were unlucky to lose. 

Even that 0-3 defeat to Sevco at the end of season 16/17 - normally the team would get booed off after a result like that but we actually played well that day and the goals came in a bizarre 5-minute spell which no-one could have seen coming. Granted they weren't exactly applauded from the pitch either, but there was a recognition that they'd played well. 

Fans are much more forgiving of poor results when they can see that the team have played well and given their all. 

The current disgruntlement is based not only on poor results but also on the godawful standard of football. It's pointless - utterly pointless - to try and argue otherwise. 

Here’s another.

Killie keeper had the game of his life that day. Was definitely the turning point

What a time to follow the dons that was - the final 7 games were absolutely superb

Ffs you must see you are in the wrong here and I appreciate you are not wanting to backtrack.

Why would anyone not want to watch attacking football?

It has been stated many times that it is acceptable to “Park the bus” at times, nobody is going to Man City and playing three up

front but in general terms people go to games to see their team play well and have a go.

Probably best just to ignore the bore

A remember when we got horsed 1-5 aff sigma Olomouc at home the home fans gave a standing ovation to the Czech team for playing so well,so the home fans do appreciate good football being played!, a mind mackie coming towards the RDS clapping and our fans telling him to fuck off for the embarrassing performance

Nobody is saying that apart from you though.

Everyone else feels we should have the resources to have a more attacking outlook generally and still finish at least as high as we currently do.

The link between entertaining and losing is your own handiwork

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1