Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

3 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Some folk would rather give Greg Leigh an extension than bring back GMS which is just crazy to me.

Leigh is a left back. We don't have any others of those that are first team capable (and before anyone says "What about Hayes?" I don't consider him a capable left back.)

We have Kennedy, Hayes, McLennan, McGinn  and Hedges and Wright all competing for the positions  that GMS would be covering. McGinn is gone at season's end. As it stands it looks like Wright might be too. Mclennan....who knows? I think he'll get an extension but he could well get freed or choose to leave of his own volition. So in summer there MIGHT be a bit of space opened up for him. But let's not forget he wasn't cheap when he joined from Celtic. And he sure as hell didn't join New York for peanuts. He will obviously have to accept he isn't going to get those wages even matched by us if he wants to join. But he would definitely expect wages that put him amongst our top 3 earners.

In January, our priorities are to urgently source at least one new centre half and a minimum of one new striker.to come in immediately.  After that I'd be prioritising getting Campbell signed up on a pre-contract and then sourcing another centre half and striker on pre-contracts too. Only then would I be considering GMS and if it construed that some other team snapped him up in the interim then so be it.

13 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Leigh is a left back. We don't have any others of those that are first team capable (and before anyone says "What about Hayes?" I don't consider him a capable left back.)

We have Kennedy, Hayes, McLennan, McGinn  and Hedges and Wright all competing for the positions  that GMS would be covering. McGinn is gone at season's end. As it stands it looks like Wright might be too. Mclennan....who knows? I think he'll get an extension but he could well get freed or choose to leave of his own volition. So in summer there MIGHT be a bit of space opened up for him. But let's not forget he wasn't cheap when he joined from Celtic. And he sure as hell didn't join New York for peanuts. He will obviously have to accept he isn't going to get those wages even matched by us if he wants to join. But he would definitely expect wages that put him amongst our top 3 earners.

In January, our priorities are to urgently source at least one new centre half and a minimum of one new striker.to come in immediately.  After that I'd be prioritising getting Campbell signed up on a pre-contract and then sourcing another centre half and striker on pre-contracts too. Only then would I be considering GMS and if it construed that some other team snapped him up in the interim then so be it.

We don't play with full backs currently.  Someone who can win us matches is more of a priority than a left back to sit on the bench every week. 

None of Wright, McLennan, McGinn or Kennedy would keep Mackay Steven out of the starting line up. 

What's the issue with him replacing for example McGinn in the squad?  You need to look beyond January and sticking plaster solutions.  

He'd be straight in the team and one of our best players.  No question. 

And if you don't see a pacey creative forward as a priority then you've not been watching lately 

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

None of Wright, McLennan, McGinn or Kennedy would keep Mackay Steven out of the starting line up. 

What's the issue with him replacing for example McGinn in the squad?  You need to look beyond January and sticking plaster solutions.  

He'd be straight in the team and one of our best players.  No question. 

And if you don't see a pacey creative forward as a priority then you've not been watching lately 

The issue is finances. Which in case you haven't noticed are totally fucked. McGinn isnt just going to fuck off in January and write off 6 months wages. And I dont see anyone wanting him on a free transfer or even on a loan. 

Sorry but GMS just isnt a priority. If he's still available in summer then I'd probably take him but right now our cash is limited and what little we can spend needs spent elsewhere

• Downvote 2
  • Dildo 1
Just now, Ten Caat said:

The issue is finances. Which in case you haven't noticed are totally fucked. McGinn isnt just going to fuck off in January and write off 6 months wages. And I dont see anyone wanting him on a free transfer or even on a loan. 

Sorry but GMS just isnt a priority. If he's still available in summer then I'd probably take him but right now our cash is limited and what little we can spend needs spent elsewhere

Easy solution. 

Let Leigh go in January and send Edmondson back to Leeds.  

Bring in GMS. 

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Centre forward & centre half I’d say.

We have three centre halves. We play 3 at the back. I’m writing off Devlin as a complete waste of a wage. So we need 1 more. 

Watkins apparently isn’t coming back. Cosgrove will be sold, & Edmondson can go back to playing Rugby League.

We’ll probably retain Main IMO.

So two strikers needed minimum. 

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Centre forward & centre half I’d say.

We have three centre halves. We play 3 at the back. I’m writing off Devlin as a complete waste of a wage. So we need 1 more. 

Watkins apparently isn’t coming back. Cosgrove will be sold, & Edmondson can go back to playing Rugby League.

We’ll probably retain Main IMO.

So two strikers needed minimum. 

I agree with this. 

But we also need a creative forward just as much as we do a striker and a centre back. It's just as big a priority. 

A centre half,(and get another young prospect around the first team).Think if we could find someone with a bit of vision/indistry to better link up the forward play(like we didnt the other night), the other areas might improve.Eg Hedges in the box the other night with 3 players around him,with our boys motionless,not thinking to move to offer him an out

6 minutes ago, Laichomoray said:

A centre half,(and get another young prospect around the first team).Think if we could find someone with a bit of vision/indistry to better link up the forward play(like we didnt the other night), the other areas might improve.Eg Hedges in the box the other night with 3 players around him,with our boys motionless,not thinking to offer him an out

Exactly. 

If it's pishing with rain and I've got one rain jacket that's water tight and 6 pairs of shoes all with holes in the soles then my priority is a new pair of shoes, not getting a spare jacket that I'm unlikely to use. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe it was his hairdo you were a fan of back then,canna mind,but am not writing him off yet,(though he was pish last night).

Wright seemed to be making all the wrong choices pre this season,but could do little wrong after we changed our style. Lets try and get back up to that speed and see where it takes him and Kennedy et al

6 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Some folk would rather give Greg Leigh an extension than bring back GMS which is just crazy to me.

It is crazy. Greg Leigh is a safe, no frills player who has played his football at a very low level, prior to going NAC Breda, whilst Gary Mackay-Steven has an excellent CV and is a matchwinner, something he proved time and time again at Aberdeen. 

Leigh is a typical McInnes signing, being safe, efficient, and ordinary. Mackay-Steven, however, was one of the best signings made by McInnes during his tenure here, not frightened to take on a player plus the added benefit of being a goalscorer. 

Nothing to not like if indeed his does return.

32 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

It is crazy. Greg Leigh is a safe, no frills player who has played his football at a very low level, prior to going NAC Breda, whilst Gary Mackay-Steven has an excellent CV and is a matchwinner, something he proved time and time again at Aberdeen. 

Leigh is a typical McInnes signing, being safe, efficient, and ordinary. Mackay-Steven, however, was one of the best signings made by McInnes during his tenure here, not frightened to take on a player plus the added benefit of being a goalscorer. 

Nothing to not like if indeed his does return.

Excellent CV? Peterhead, Airdrie, Jutes, tims bench, us, yank pub league

Hardly Cristiano Ronaldo is he? 

7 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

He was probably pissed off at being hassled by a couple of morons, can you blame him?

GMS wouldn’t enhance our current team? What nonsense, he’s far better than McLennan, Kennedy and McGinn.

That’s why he’s got three league title medals and a league cup win then. You fucking spastic.

‘Morons’, ‘spastic’....another keyboard warrior. You have a lovely Xmas my friend and I hope Santa is good to you...x

• Upvote 2
On 12/24/2020 at 1:00 PM, Big Hat Logan said:

He was probably pissed off at being hassled by a couple of morons, can you blame him?

GMS wouldn’t enhance our current team? What nonsense, he’s far better than McLennan, Kennedy and McGinn.

That’s why he’s got three league title medals and a league cup win then. You fucking spastic.

I'm sorry, it's not "nonsense" if you ready whole post. I didn't deny he's better than some of what we currently have, I simply said I don't believe he would enhance the team any more than a potential new acquisition would. I believe we can source a better option, with a bit of decent scouting, rather than lazily bringing back a player who, let's face it, couldn't get away quick enough last time. He's good yes, but not our top priority right now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
22 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I'm sorry, it's not "nonsense" if you ready whole post. I didn't deny he's better than some of what we currently have, I simply said I don't believe he would enhance the team any more than a potential new acquisition would. I believe we can source a better option, with a bit of decent scouting, rather than lazily bringing back a player who, let's face it, couldn't get away quick enough last time. He's good yes, but not our top priority right now.

So he’s not as good as a mystery player we may or may not sign instead?

Fucking hell ?

29 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Hedges and Mackay Steven running at defences is an exciting prospect surely? 

Jonny Hayes has always relied on his pace to beat a man as he doesn’t have that trick in his repotoire to alternatively do the job.  That attribute has gone now in my opinion so we need someone else on that attacking left side.

GMS can do that role but not as a wing back, has to be in a 4-2-3-1

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Jonny Hayes has always relied on his pace to beat a man as he doesn’t have that trick in his repotoire to alternatively do the job.  That attribute has gone now in my opinion so we need someone else on that attacking left side.

GMS can do that role but not as a wing back, has to be in a 4-2-3-1

59 minutes ago, Millertime said:

You think Hayes has lost his pace?

Rubbish

I think Hayes does not take on and beat his man as often as he used to do.

‘He still has pace,  it’s not as much of a differentiator as it used to be.

‘In that since, the wing back role suits him more than an out and out winger