Aberdeen sack Derek McInnes

Just now, Tord31 said:

i'll be back once we win our games in hand

Actually, you may be right.

‘I could never understand how they created two spots from one available position.

‘it appears they may be restricting the access to the Europa League only to the top 15 nations. This means the way they could do that is to bump two teams (13th and 14th) and only have 1 additional spot from QR3 as opposed to the current 3 spot availability.

‘it means the country ranked 16th, doesn’t get bumped into the 15th spot

8 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Actually, you may be right.

‘I could never understand how they created two spots from one available position.

‘it appears they may be restricting the access to the Europa League only to the top 15 nations. This means the way they could do that is to bump two teams (13th and 14th) and only have 1 additional spot from QR3 as opposed to the current 3 spot availability.

‘it means the country ranked 16th, doesn’t get bumped into the 15th spot

... we'll see what happens. It's what the geeks think but uefa have said nothing so far.

its only worth speaking about as we get further through the season

4 hours ago, Tord31 said:

It's painful.

We have plenty good creative players and he cant organise them to do anything. Our strikers are shite but i'm not convinced thats the problem

That's the thing. McGinn, Hayes, Wright and Hedges are all capable of creating something, but McInnes seems unable to get them firing. Whether the tactics or instructions are stifling them I don't know. But it's not happening for them. Or they're just not trying for him anymore. 

It's stale. Has been for years other than the start of this season.

There was a change in tactics earlier in the season but without Watkins holding the ball and bringing the Hedges and Wright support into play, that's gone.

Cosgrove's had limited time since being injured but balls into the box are shockingly poor regardless. Main's neither a linking up type striker nor a goalscorer.

Doesnae look encouraging without a fair shake up in the squad.

23 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

It's stale. Has been for years other than the start of this season.

There was a change in tactics earlier in the season but without Watkins holding the ball and bringing the Hedges and Wright support into play, that's gone.

Cosgrove's had limited time since being injured but balls into the box are shockingly poor regardless. Main's neither a linking up type striker nor a goalscorer.

Doesnae look encouraging without a fair shake up in the squad.

I think the squad isn't too bad it is the mentality and the style of play that needs to change and that won't change with Mcinnes at the helm

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

That's the thing. McGinn, Hayes, Wright and Hedges are all capable of creating something, but McInnes seems unable to get them firing. Whether the tactics or instructions are stifling them I don't know. But it's not happening for them. Or they're just not trying for him anymore. 

McGinn....legs have gone. Probably knows he's finished with us and next season will be playing for someone in the Northern Irish league.

Hayes.....legs have also gone to an extent. Certainly no longer possesses the explosive pace to get him past a full back. And his crossing is generally woeful.

Wright.....just back from a double hernia repair. Wasn't expecting a great deal today because of this. Wonder how committed he will be having refused our contract offer (and are him and the club playing a game of chicken with each other?)

Hedges.......being utilised wrongly. He's also missing Watkins badly 

5 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

I think the squad isn't too bad it is the mentality and the style of play that needs to change and that won't change with Mcinnes at the helm

The 25 man squad for the first half of the season was very decent in my opinion.

If we could swap a striker or two we really shouldn't be far away.

It's getting pretty clear it's down to the manager as plenty of our players would be star players for other spfl teams; ferguson, hayes, kennedy and hedges for a kick off.

14 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

The 25 man squad for the first half of the season was very decent in my opinion.

If we could swap a striker or two we really shouldn't be far away.

It's getting pretty clear it's down to the manager as plenty of our players would be star players for other spfl teams; ferguson, hayes, kennedy and hedges for a kick off.

I’m sorry.... you seemed to have added Kennedy to your list by mistake.

Who did you really mean? 

57 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

McGinn....legs have gone. Probably knows he's finished with us and next season will be playing for someone in the Northern Irish league.

Hayes.....legs have also gone to an extent. Certainly no longer possesses the explosive pace to get him past a full back. And his crossing is generally woeful.

Wright.....just back from a double hernia repair. Wasn't expecting a great deal today because of this. Wonder how committed he will be having refused our contract offer (and are him and the club playing a game of chicken with each other?)

Hedges.......being utilised wrongly. He's also missing Watkins badly 

Agree with some of the above. Hayes legs aren't gone. He's still more than capable of getting up and down the wing. 

The point I was making was more what they are all capable of doing/creating but aren't on a regular basis. Legs may be gone with McGinn, but there's still an intelligent player there who can create.

Has Wright's contract refusal ever been confirmed or us that another story from this place that is taken as gospel?

• Like 1

There was plenty good crosses today. We had Curtis Main upfront who is absolutely hopeless. 

Watkins gets injured and we have to play with one of them two shitters upfront and now we are suddenly shite. There’s more to being a striker than scoring (they aren’t particularly capable of that either) and them two don’t do the simple things that Watkins done so well.

35 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

There was plenty good crosses today. We had Curtis Main upfront who is absolutely hopeless. 

Watkins gets injured and we have to play with one of them two shitters upfront and now we are suddenly shite. There’s more to being a striker than scoring (they aren’t particularly capable of that either) and them two don’t do the simple things that Watkins done so well.

Spot on 

Hayes put one cracking cross in the first half that the geordie bouncer just had to throw himself at. He’s got zero strikers instinct 

There was one cross that Hayes put in first half and Main actually got in front of the Defender but the defender got the ball first. Main just doesn't have a footballers brain or skill set I think he would be more suited to cage fighting. The alarming thing is our Manager continues to start him

35 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He absolutely would have. 

For all Rooney's faults he had what none of this lot have, a natural striker's instinct to anticipate what is going to happen rather than stand and wait for things to happen. 

Agree, Rooney was superb at getting in front of defenders and finishing. Main just doesn't have a football brain his main asset seems to be wrestling with defenders, at one point Yesterday he actually took the ball under control but then just passed it straight to a United player he cannot be trusted and Yesterday I would have said Hoban and Considine looked much more likely to score than Main

6 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He absolutely would have. 

For all Rooney's faults he had what none of this lot have, a natural striker's instinct to anticipate what is going to happen rather than stand and wait for things to happen. 

Aye, I would fancy Rooney to bag goals in our current set up. Pity our manager and @DelMonte didn't ?

Rooney was slow but he had intelligence to know where to be at the right time.

2 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Aye, I would fancy Rooney to bag goals in our current set up. Pity our manager and @DelMonte didn't ?

Rooney was slow but he had intelligence to know where to be at the right time.

Even DelMonte, who to be fair is a decent judge of a good forward imo, will likely say that he was a lot better than the pish we've got up front now. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Even DelMonte, who to be fair is a decent judge of a good forward imo, will likely say that he was a lot better than the pish we've got up front now. 

Aye, I'm just pulling his pisser. For all Rooney's faults I would still back him to score some of the chances Main has passed up recently, and I think Rooney is finished as a prem class striker.