David Bates

1 hour ago, Dave Bus said:

Whole reason we had more possession and territory than rangers for first time in years was because of McCrorie and Bates. Both very composed on the ball from the back. Yes bates has an error in him, so does McCrorie , but hopefully in time they’ll improve on that. Think going forward these 2 will be our centre halves. Gallagher will be gone in the summer IMO.

I hope you are correct but fear that if we do manage to offload him, we will be covering the majority of his wages for the rest of his contract.

But I also think he does deserve one last chance to prove he can be a useful addition to our squad. He's been pretty shite up till now and some question his desire to be with us. He has been unlucky with injuries though. He'll also have to wait until either McCrorie or Bates gets injured or suspended and you would expect that to happen at some point. I'd also be interested to see how he'd fare in a back 3 alongside the other two, although it looks like Glass is favouring a back 4.

22 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Gallagher should be gone now. A high earner who is pish and contributing very little.

We'll have Considine back soon (and dare I say maybe even Devlin...) as well. We don't need to run with 5 CB's. 

No chance of that

I know Considine is back in training but no one knows how he will fare once he is back playing full contact. Or how much, if any, pace he has lost. There has to be a reasonable chance at his age that he will prove just not up to the rigours of full time training and playing at the top level again. He's certainly not going to be anywhere near a return prior to the end of the window anyway.

And even if we do give Devlin a further contract, he's an even bigger risk than Consi. We couldn't punt out Gallagher now and risk having to go with the 2 crocks as back up to Bates and McCrorie for the rest of the season. Knowing our luck, within days McCrorie would do a hammy in, Bates get sent off for violent conduct,  Considine would suffer a setback and be out till April and Devlin would catch leprosy and spend the rest of his contract in isolation 

4 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

Gallagher should be gone now. A high earner who is pish and contributing very little.

We'll have Considine back soon (and dare I say maybe even Devlin...) as well. We don't need to run with 5 CB's. 

Gallagher will come good. He has obviously taken longer to settle into the set up at Aberdeen but don’t write the fella off. 

39 minutes ago, Torry Tosser said:

Takes time to settle in sometimes. 

All them calling him shite after 3 games...lol

He did get quite a bit of stick. Granted, most of it was warranted but it took a while for fans to get off his back. I think he's been solid enough since October but has really kicked on since December.

I don't think he was helped by the fact he acts like the type that would demand an ice pack from the PE teacher for even the slightest knock. He definitely washes his hands after he farts too. 

Anyway, glad he's up to speed.

3 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

TBF he was fucking murder initially.

And aye I get what you're on about missing pre-season, new club, relocating and the rest. But still, he was undeniably shite to start with 

He wasn't alone in that remembering the horrific run we embarked on. The central defence seemed to get blamed for it (unfairly imo) more than anyone else when a lot of the time they were getting hung out to dry by Ramsay and MacKenzie bombing up the park in unison and us then getting taken to the cleaners as the oppo counter attacked.

Also Bates' previous Hun history didn't help his cause.

For all Glass' obvious signing failures, he deserves some positive credit for this one 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

. He needs to work on his body language though.  Constantly looks like he's about to shit himself anytime anything happens near him.

Well , in that case I’d better work on my body language too..... I shit myself whenever the ball goes near him.

I think maybe Bates needs to play alongside someone for a few games to develop an understanding and play half decent. He was shite to start with but once he got fit and had a run of games with Mcrorie he started to play half decent. He was then partnered by Gallagher and he looked shite again, heres hoping him and Gallagher are used to each other now and can push on.