David Bates

6 hours ago, Durrant Dived said:

A few comments about it being a non starter and we should have had him by now etc, absolute nonsense. 

Surely if your parent (higher level) club asks you to go to Portugal with them you would go?

He isn't going to say I want to come to Aberdeen before Wolves say they won't need him this season is he? 

Patience. 

Their season is just about to start in a week, and I  think Wolves would have a pretty good idea who they want and who they don't want. If they didn't want him, and Aberdeen was showing interest, then I 100% think they would have talked to the player about it, whether they're going to Portugal or not. 

And if they do want him then he's not leaving an EPL club on an EPL wage to come to Aberdeen. 

The fact he hasn't said anything suggests maybe Wolves don't need him, and meanwhile his agent is looking for better options than Aberdeen... and that has happened enough times in the past for the signs to be there. 

But again, I might be wrong. 

Certainly isn't "absolute nonsense" though, not by any stretch of the imagination. 

38 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Their season is just about to start in a week, and I  think Wolves would have a pretty good idea who they want and who they don't want. If they didn't want him, and Aberdeen was showing interest, then I 100% think they would have talked to the player about it, whether they're going to Portugal or not. 

And if they do want him then he's not leaving an EPL club on an EPL wage to come to Aberdeen. 

The fact he hasn't said anything suggests maybe Wolves don't need him, and meanwhile his agent is looking for better options than Aberdeen... and that has happened enough times in the past for the signs to be there. 

Certainly isn't "absolute nonsense" though, not by any stretch of the imagination. 

Well they are still in Portugal as they have 2 final games this weekend. Don't see why would they just send him home half way through pre season camp? 

He may have been told he's not going to make the 25 man cut but doubt anything will happen before they are back.  

39 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Well they are still in Portugal as they have 2 final games this weekend. Don't see why would they just send him home half way through pre season camp? 

He may have been told he's not going to make the 25 man cut but doubt anything will happen before they are back.  

If he's a fringe player, or on the way out, and Aberdeen have made a firm offer... understanding that our season has already started... then I'd think that would be reason enough for Wolves, the player, and Goodwin to want him to cut his pre-season short and come to Aberdeen to get him in the team as soon as possible. 

All speculation, but in the past when our interest in a player has dragged out for weeks into months, we invariable don't sign that player. 

Will be delighted if we do, though.

2 hours ago, Ke1t said:

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

If he's a fringe player, or on the way out, and Aberdeen have made a firm offer... understanding that our season has already started... then I'd think that would be reason enough for Wolves, the player, and Goodwin to want him to cut his pre-season short and come to Aberdeen to get him in the team as soon as possible. 

All speculation, but in the past when our interest in a player has dragged out for weeks into months, we invariable don't sign that player. 

Expert level insight 

1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

At the same time wolves specifically said they wanted to take him on pre season to see how he did....

Not really bothered if it's dragged into weeks and months and we don't end up getting him. We've signed what 9? Going to miss out on the odd one. I think we will have a decision by early next week when they do get back. They have a game Saturday and Sunday so they probably need all their squad players to cover both the fixtures.

They said something along the lines of him having (to fight for) a place in the team back at the start of the month, iirc. 

Not saying any potential deal is dead, I'd like to see the guy sign for us, but the more time passes the less likely it gets. 

23 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

They said something along the lines of him having (to fight for) a place in the team back at the start of the month, iirc. 

Not saying any potential deal is dead, I'd like to see the guy sign for us, but the more time passes the less likely it gets. 

Lol more expert level football insight. 

23 hours ago, Helmet said:

I doubt we're after McGrath now we've signed the lad from County.

Seems we are still waiting for Ronan which is fine as long as we have some backup plans.

Dunne would give cover at LCB but are we then short at RCB if Bates leaves?

Dunne will cover any left sided defensive positions, McCrorie will cover any right sided defensive positions meaning McGrath would still be a handy player to have and Ronan has always been our top target.

1 hour ago, Redmist1903 said:

Dunne will cover any left sided defensive positions, McCrorie will cover any right sided defensive positions meaning McGrath would still be a handy player to have and Ronan has always been our top target.

Dunne covering left and McCrorie covering right CH is fine (Ten Caat already pointed this out) but why would the CH cover have a bearing on whether we need McGrath or not?