January 2022 transfer window

1 hour ago, BonnieDon said:

Tony Watt, Jeandro Fuchs, Zander Clark, Stuart Findlay, Jamie Hamilton are all options but are they really that much better than what we've already got?

I certainly feel we could improve on the options we have on the bench.

Like others have said, Mowbray has a fair amount of expectation weighing on him. I'm hopeful that he can unravel a few hidden gems for us.

For my money, the two things we lack are pace up front, and width. Niall McGinn coming off the bench doesn’t cut it for me. Forget about McLennan, he’s Cove level

It’s a sad indictment on our youth system that we have nobody coming through the ranks that can come off the bench and add to the striking dept. Anderson was the last, 4/5 years ago and he was never going to be good enough. Liam Harvey might be the next but he’s only 16 and not ready to throw in

There was mention of Jamie Hamilton last summer but let’s give Jack McKenzie a decent go at it in central defence. And Declan Gallagher has to come good sometime, let’s hope it’s soon.

19 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

For my money, the two things we lack are pace up front, and width. Niall McGinn coming off the bench doesn’t cut it for me. Forget about McLennan, he’s Cove level

It’s a sad indictment on our youth system that we have nobody coming through the ranks that can come off the bench and add to the striking dept. Anderson was the last, 4/5 years ago and he was never going to be good enough. Liam Harvey might be the next but he’s only 16 and not ready to throw in

There was mention of Jamie Hamilton last summer but let’s give Jack McKenzie a decent go at it in central defence. And Declan Gallagher has to come good sometime, let’s hope it’s soon.

Ethan Ross is thriving in the 10 role at Raith. Would have been more useful off the bench than mcginn and mclennan 

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

I want a different approach to our signings over the January transfer window. The names mentioned by BonnieDon above hardly get me excited at all. Let’s try other countries and see if we can unravel a gem somewhere. Someone that will get our bums off our seats when they have the ball….someone all the other teams in the league will be panicking at when they know his name is on our team sheet. 
Have we the ability to find such a player?

The problem with that is work permits. Unless they are established internationals then it's a long drawn out process to try and get done in 30 days. Look at Ramirez. Took an age to get him over the line. If we are looking abroad i suspect the MLS will be our go-to. League finished and the coaching staff should know the players better than anyone. But Mowbray will be an English lower leagues man i'd imagine. Especially on our budget compared to Blackburn. 

46 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

The problem with that is work permits. Unless they are established internationals then it's a long drawn out process to try and get done in 30 days. Look at Ramirez. Took an age to get him over the line. If we are looking abroad i suspect the MLS will be our go-to. League finished and the coaching staff should know the players better than anyone. But Mowbray will be an English lower leagues man i'd imagine. Especially on our budget compared to Blackburn. 

The appointment of Mowbray is a disgrace if he’s a English lower league man. We already had someone in that mould why would we get someone like that in again. He had a lot of European stuff on CV so I would hope that’s why he’s appointed and we see 1 or 2 foreign players arrive each window now. If we ever want to punch above our weight we have to tap Into other markets that aren’t as saturated at the English one. 

32 minutes ago, slippers said:

The appointment of Mowbray is a disgrace if he’s a English lower league man. We already had someone in that mould why would we get someone like that in again. He had a lot of European stuff on CV so I would hope that’s why he’s appointed and we see 1 or 2 foreign players arrive each window now. If we ever want to punch above our weight we have to tap Into other markets that aren’t as saturated at the English one. 

I hope you're right and i suppose we will find out next month. 

38 minutes ago, slippers said:

So, as well as the Director of Football appointment, and the 1st team manager appointment, Cormack has also got the Head of Recruitment appointment wrong as well?

9 hours ago, RED_JOHN said:

I want a different approach to our signings over the January transfer window. The names mentioned by BonnieDon above hardly get me excited at all. Let’s try other countries and see if we can unravel a gem somewhere. Someone that will get our bums off our seats when they have the ball….someone all the other teams in the league will be panicking at when they know his name is on our team sheet. 
Have we the ability to find such a player?

NO. 

18 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

So, as well as the Director of Football appointment, and the 1st team manager appointment, Cormack has also got the Head of Recruitment appointment wrong as well?

Depends what we go on to do in January onwards. But Scottish football has massive advantages over England in signing foreign players now with work permit rule it would be ridiculous to ignore that and keep trying to sign 95% of our players from a saturated market in England. I had hoped for a foreign appointment if I’m honest but will to give Mowbray a chance. 

5 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

On current form I hope we don't go back in for Jamie McGrath.

He is a decent enough player so I wouldn’t be against him being signed for a small fee or a pre contract. We could loan them out Dean Campbell to help bring him on a bit as he is hardly featuring and this isn’t doing the lad any favours (being serious for a change about Deano). I hope we are trying to source a decent replacement for Hedges as he also seems to be heading out the door. 

5 hours ago, PondHopper said:

We should. But my realistic hope is for Tony Watt

Tony Watt ?‍♂️ 

He would just be yer another blatantly average level SPFL striker that can perform adequately for shitty sides but we sign them & are shite.

Much like Main, May, Goodwillie, Stewart, JET & that striker I can’t remember from Caley, or County(Miles something?) & also Josh Magennis etc. The list goes on. 

We need to get away from signing average squad filler types that ‘might’ get us 10 goals (& always fail)  & preferably take gambles on actual ones with potential to be good rather than known ‘average’ entities.

15 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Tony Watt ?‍♂️ 

He would just be yer another blatantly average level SPFL striker that can perform adequately for shitty sides but we sign them & are shite.

Much like Main, May, Goodwillie, Stewart, JET & that striker I can’t remember from Caley, or County(Miles something?) & also Josh Magennis etc. The list goes on. 

We need to get away from signing average squad filler types that ‘might’ get us 10 goals (& always fail)  & preferably take gambles on actual ones with potential to be good rather than known ‘average’ entities.

I was thinking he might be more of a hedges replacement down the road. In another post I already explained how an mls team in ohio worked a loan to buy deal perfectly for a south american center back and compared it to this ronnie hernandez mess.

I'm not against what you are saying. 

1 hour ago, afc1903mad said:

I would like to see a back-up striker for Ramirez, but Watt is not that guy

There are plenty of up and comers out there worldwide. Aberdeen FC could do well as an exposure route for many. Low initial fees with sign ons. Or bigger fees on a loan with option. Maybe better that way then pissing of the pl teams but not playing their loanees.

28 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

I'd like to see us makes more move in the US transfer market. Ramirez looks absolutely quality. Another  striker of that ilk however with pace.

Avoid the Atlanta Utd reserve side. I'm hopeful Hernandez does return from loan as I think he could do well for us under Glass.

Reporters in ATL saying ronnie set to return to aberdeen. Reporting in Aberdeen says Ronnie not coming back despite end of season and total lack of defenders at parent club.