Ukraine

Ke1t

14 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

People always think the Russians are shit, and then pay the price ultimately (even if they do well at first).

Ask Napoleon.  Ask Hitler.

The Russians are totally shit

We should have crushed them into the ground after the collapse of the Soviet Union but everyone just assumed they'd learn a lesson about being too big for their boots. They haven't.

They need showing who is calling the shots

Ukraine should be admitted into NATO today

25 minutes ago, Jigsaw666 said:

Israel say they do intend to continue to annex Palestine but no concern from USA/Europe.

The ethnic cleaning of Palestine, combined with the atrocities being perpetuated in Yemen by the Saudis are events people will look back on in future with utter disgust and wonder why we let it happen. 

That the west enables (and even supports) both is a damning indictment on the western world. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The ethnic cleaning of Palestine, combined with the atrocities being perpetuated in Yemen by the Saudis are events people will look back on in future with utter disgust and wonder why we let it happen. 

That the west enables (and even supports) both is a damning indictment on the western world. 

The west backs whoever buys weapons from us, and whoever's pals with Israel.

1 hour ago, maryhilldon said:

@kel1t   There you go, still believe insisting people get vaccinated is justified?

Yeah, a subsequent link explained that these deaths are among the most vulnerable, which you would expect to be the group most affected by attrition, even when they have the vaccine. 

The vaccine isn't a magic potion. It increases immunity, it doesn't make you immortal. 

The real question is, what would the rate of attrition be among the most vulnerable without the vaccine, and a hundred years of prior vaccinations shows it would be a great deal higher. 

8 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Yeah, a subsequent link explained that these deaths are among the most vulnerable, which you would expect to be the group most affected by attrition, even when they have the vaccine. 

Exactly. Very old, usually obese people die of COVID, whether they're vaccinated or not. So why insist on younger, healthy people being vaccinated? It doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, maryhilldon said:

Exactly. Very old, usually obese people die of COVID, whether they're vaccinated or not.

So why insist on younger, healthy people being vaccinated? It doesn't make sense.

Vaccines boost the immune system, and far fewer very old or obese people will die. Do you think vaccines don't work? Or just for Covid? And what's the theory predicated upon? 

I think I may have mentioned that virologists say that the unvaccinated population acts as a breeding ground for mutations. 

The more it mutates the more we're just playing catch-up, and the more at risk we all are. 

15 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Viruses will always mutate, that's what they do. I'm not an anti-vaxxer if that's what you're angling at, just pro-choice for younger, less vulnerable people. 

I've said before that, to an extent, I AM anti-vax. But that's not because I don't think they work or because I think they're implanting GPS in our bodies. 

Viruses don't always mutate... sometimes they die out because of vaccines, and most times they're brought under control. 

The resistance to the Covid vaccine has just been weird, though. 

I mean hardly anyone stops their kids getting MMR shots as a matter of course, and now only a fraction of the number of people catch and die from those diseases. 

I think Covid vaccine has been unfortunate to be produced in an era of anti-intellectualism, and at a time where everything is framed as a partisan issue... at least in the US. 

3 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

I mean hardly anyone stops their kids getting MMR shots as a matter of course, and now only a fraction of the number of people catch and die from those diseases. 

You get an MMR vaccine once as a kid (1 booster maybe?),  not every few months like this one. And most people dying of COVID have been double vaxxed, so it's not really comparable.

Just now, maryhilldon said:

You get an MMR vaccine once as a kid (1 booster maybe?),  not every few months like this one. And most people dying of COVID have been double vaxxed, so it's not really comparable.

Yeah, you can still die even if you're vaxxed... you can still die in a car accident if you're wearing seat belt... the point is to reduce the total number of deaths. 

So, your primary concern is that it's more than a single shot?

Is it a convenience thing you're arguing? 

13 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Yeah, you can still die even if you're vaxxed... you can still die in a car accident if you're wearing seat belt... the point is to reduce the total number of deaths. 

So, your primary concern is that it's more than a single shot?

Is it a convenience thing you're arguing? 

Nevermind, can't be arsed.

20 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

The Russians are totally shit

We should have crushed them into the ground after the collapse of the Soviet Union but everyone just assumed they'd learn a lesson about being too big for their boots. They haven't.

They need showing who is calling the shots

Ukraine should be admitted into NATO today

Who would you say is calling the shots?  I don't think its Biden, who can barely stay awake and whose presidency is in meltdown, or the EU / western europe, which relies on Russian gas to heat their homes.

As regards Ukraine in NATO, I think this is a big part of the reason why Russia acts as it does:  NATO military influence and EU political influence marching right up to its very borders. 

They do not like these non-Russian influences right on their doorstep, just as the US did not like the Soviet military on their doorstep (in Cuba), during the Cuban missile crisis.

The Americans kicked up fuck about that, so we can hardly be surprised that the Russians are reacting to Ukraine being drawing into the orbit of groups like the EU / NATO.

I believe that Russia would likely defeat NATO in a conventional land war.

24 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Why do you believe that? 

He has become very unpopular after only one year in office, including with the groups his election victory was built on.  The most obvious expression of this yet was how the Democrats lost the gubernatorial election in Virginia at the end of last year.

It was felt that losing support among women in particular was responsible for the Virginia loss.  Much was made of the 'cultural war' also, with parents (esp Mothers) reacting against the Democrats championing of woke / LGBT nonsense, especially in schools.

But he has also lost much support among independent swing voters, non-white voters and most especially young people.  His ratings have been described as being "underwater".

This month the New York post reported a poll showing 60% of Americans would vote against him, if the election was now.

Domestically, his economic policies caused inflation to boom to 7% last year, the biggest price increases in decades, which also caused supply issues meaning shortages in US supermarkets (Brexit no doubt lol).

The democrat led "defund the police" campaigns have also caused crime in major cities to boom and voters are beginning to react to that.  Looting is now commonplace in Democrat strongholds like San Fransisco and LA.

Internationally, his shambolic escape from Afghanistan has made the US and NATO look weak, as we see with Russian troops massing on their Borders and the North Koreans firing missiles into the sea again, just this month.

(Say what you like about Trump, but America's opponents were far more wary of him, than sleepy joe).

He is not popular with western european politicians who regard him as befuddled and unreliable.

Everyone hated Kamala Harris before they were elected, and they hate her more now.  "being a black woman" is not a good indicator of competence for a possible vice president.

He still has time before the 2024 election, of course, but some Democrats themselves are starting to agitate for change saying he will "not have the energy" to go again in 2024.

29 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Who would you say is calling the shots?  I don't think its Biden, who can barely stay awake and whose presidency is in meltdown, or the EU / western europe, which relies on Russian gas to heat their homes.

As regards Ukraine in NATO, I think this is a big part of the reason why Russia acts as it does:  NATO military influence and EU political influence marching right up to its very borders. 

They do not like these non-Russian influences right on their doorstep, just as the US did not like the Soviet military on their doorstep (in Cuba), during the Cuban missile crisis.

The Americans kicked up fuck about that, so we can hardly be surprised that the Russians are reacting to Ukraine being drawing into the orbit of groups like the EU / NATO.

I believe that Russia would likely defeat NATO in a conventional land war.

I agree

But I don't think it would be a conventional land war for very long. No point in having nuclear weapons and the stuff that America supposedly has if you aren't going to use them when push comes to shove.

Russia has presented NATO with a list of demands which NATO has rejected instantly. They're both just grandstanding for now but I'm certain Russia will be aware that invading Ukraine won't be tolerated like it was when they snatched the Crimean peninsula few years back.