Summer 2022 Transfer Window

18 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

https://vimeo.com/500089701

Nice video of Ramadani when plating in Denmark. only a 7 min video and obviously doesn't show the bad bits but definitely looks very capable player and got the physicality to do well in Scotland. Dare i say reminds me a little bit of Markus Heikkinen back in the day. I'm going to say he will be a fans favourite. 

I'm not really fully in agreement with BonnieDon that signing a player from abroad is always going to be better than from Scotland and lower leagues as many players from abroad do find it hard to adjust to Scottish or British life and culture. And I think its often the case that a game of football and a result often means much more to us than it does to many people in other countries. They turn up on a sat and try to win but if they don't they just move onto the next week and its no big deal. Over here they get beat and they get abused by a teams own fans for the next week so it can be a culture shock they find hard to adjust to. Some of the Americans that have been over recently have alluded to this.

Its got to be a balance with a mix of Scottish players, lower league from down south and a sprinkling of foreigners with a bit of class but also a bit of dig about them. 

He looks like a very tidy player. I can see the comparison to Heikkinen.

26 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Nice video of Ramadani when plating in Denmark. only a 7 min video and obviously doesn't show the bad bits but definitely looks very capable player and got the physicality to do well in Scotland. Dare i say reminds me a little bit of Markus Heikkinen back in the day. I'm going to say he will be a fans favourite. 

I'm not really fully in agreement with BonnieDon that signing a player from abroad is always going to be better than from Scotland and lower leagues as many players from abroad do find it hard to adjust to Scottish or British life and culture. And I think its often the case that a game of football and a result often means much more to us than it does to many people in other countries. They turn up on a sat and try to win but if they don't they just move onto the next week and its no big deal. Over here they get beat and they get abused by a teams own fans for the next week so it can be a culture shock they find hard to adjust to. Some of the Americans that have been over recently have alluded to this.

Its got to be a balance with a mix of Scottish players, lower league from down south and a sprinkling of foreigners with a bit of class but also a bit of dig about them. 

It looks like he can read a game well, tackle, pass and shoot so of course some of our fans will hate this and demand we sign a former player that couldn't do any of those things well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, minijc said:

It looks like he can read a game well, tackle, pass and shoot so of course some of our fans will hate this and demand we sign a former player that couldn't do any of those things well. 

You referring to Shinnie there? He could certainly read/tackle. Scored some decent goals for us ana if I mind correctly. 

His passing was limited aye. 

3 minutes ago, CCB III said:

You referring to Shinnie there? He could certainly read/tackle. Scored some decent goals for us ana if I mind correctly. 

His passing was limited aye. 

His reading of a game was very poor as was his tackling, those two combined meant he was often caught out of position and running about like a headless chicken but at least he'd needlessly dive in to a tackle, thump his chest and get booked though #Passion

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Would that not have been Russ RIchardson? Was given the title of "head of recruitment" I believe

Latterly, his job title was  "head of recruitment" but initially it was just head scout.

Given the importance of that role, especially since the structure of the club was altered by Dave to have the HoR in a more prominant position, isn't it strange that we never see RedTV interviews with these guys?

27 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Goodwin has always played 4-2-3-1 I think?

Why all the comments about back 3? 

He was playing a back three for a good part of last season according to St. Mirren fans.  I'm not saying he will play a back three, I just think it's presumptuous to think he will play a back four when it could potentially be either.  

36 minutes ago, minijc said:

His reading of a game was very poor as was his tackling, those two combined meant he was often caught out of position and running about like a headless chicken but at least he'd needlessly dive in to a tackle, thump his chest and get booked though #Passion

Come on. Shinnie was a brilliant player for us and complimented what we had at the time really well. 

He did get a lot of bookings but that's because he was committed. I remember a different player to the one you do. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Come on. Shinnie was a brilliant player for us and complimented what we had at the time really well. 

He did get a lot of bookings but that's because he was committed. I remember a different player to the one you do. 

His attitude & commitment were spot on.

But his technique wasn’t great & a lot of his running around was to chase after misplaced passes.

He’s not what we need, particularly with us apparently about to sign Ramadani, who looks like a Markus Heikkenen type.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

His attitude & commitment were spot on.

But his technique wasn’t great & a lot of his running around was to chase after misplaced passes.

He’s not what we need, particularly with us apparently about to sign Ramadani, who looks like a Markus Heikkenen type.

Come on to eff. 

Graeme Shinnie would be a vast improvement on anything we've endured in midfield the last season or two. 

BHH. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, minijc said:

Shinnie was an excellent player for us. 

I would have Shinnie back in a heartbeat to drive the team. Thought he was excellent and covered so much ground every game.

Yes he was prone to the occasional mistimed tackle or wayward pass however if he wasn't then I can guarantee he would never have been playing for Aberdeen.

I liked what he brought to the party.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Jesus wept. 

Some of our fans really do rewrite history. 

It's not about rewriting history though, in my opinion he was not an excellent player for us, got off with having limited ability because he thumped his chest and showed passion.  Also think it's mental that we went years without having a proper left back, signed him then after a season threw him in midfield, we'd have been better off keeping him at left back. 

1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

I'm not against signing players from the lower leagues of England and Scotland however the new recruitment team seems to be better prepared for identifying/unearthing potential gems in Europe. I very much doubt McInnes and Russ Richardson invested as much resources into the data/metrics of any prospective player as we do currently.

I feel our budget may go further by sourcing in the European market. We're competing with our direct rivals in Scotland as well as those in England when searching for players within the British Isles. Our player pool has obviously expanded with the arrival of Mowbray (and Atlanta Utd) and clearly our recruitment strategy is much more thorough than it's probably ever been. Currently there isn't many players in the SPL outside of Hearts and the OF that I'd want to see us sign. Alan Forrest has clearly done well this season however the likes of Forrest, Bailey, Anderson, Levitt, Rooney, McCart, Kevin Van Veen etc... its all a bit meh for me.

The first signing of the new recruitment team, Wee Vinny, was a young player who was doing well in the lower leagues of Holland and clearly had the potential to perform at a higher level. A player of his ability (at the age of 21) in England/Scotland would be out of our reach and would likely be signed by a wealthier club. Controversial opinion but I honestly couldn't name another winger outside the OF that I'd take over Vinny. I wouldn't take Barrie McKay, GMS, Jordan Roberts, Woolery, RCC, Hungbo and anyone from Hibs. Aside from his feigning injury antics, Vinny has looked (imo) impressive at times and with better players around him could be a key player for us going forward. And remember he's only just turned 21 and was discovered in the European market.

I'd actually argue it's more hit and miss sourcing players in England as generally we attempt to sign cast offs from League 1/Championship clubs or players of teams flirting with relegation in League 1 (teams like Morecambe who have a few ex Aberdeen/St Mirren/Hearts players). We can source better players in Europe IMO, for potentially less wages and its not as big a "gamble" given the scouting capabilities now in place under Mowbray. They'll have done their due diligence on Ramadani.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, minijc said:

It's not about rewriting history though, in my opinion he was not an excellent player for us, got off with having limited ability because he thumped his chest and showed passion.  Also think it's mental that we went years without having a proper left back, signed him then after a season threw him in midfield, we'd have been better off keeping him at left back. 

Jesus. Think you're very much in the minority there, we definitely didn't win many games without him in the side. The most devastating example being the 3-0 v M'Well at Hampden. 

2 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Jesus. Think you're very much in the minority there, we definitely didn't win many games without him in the side. The most devastating example being the 3-0 v M'Well at Hampden. 

Yip and only himself to blame because he got himself suspended. 

Shinnie was excellent for us, bearing in mind we got him for free. However even if Wigan were prepared to release him I'd still rather we looked elsewhere. He got wages at Derby we couldn't match and I don't believe he left Derby for Wigan to take a pay cut, so if we were to sign him he'd want to be the highest paid player at the club by a considerable margin (assuming Ramirez doesn't return). He turns 31 in a couple of months and while 31 isn't old for a player nowadays, for a player of Shinnie's style...a lot of running about and effort but not blessed with a huge amount of talent...he's certainly past his peak and only likely to decline in future.

That said, IF Wigan were willing to loan him to us for a season where we only had to cover maybe 40-50% of his wages, I'd probably take him on that basis. We have a massive rebuild on our hands and it's unlikely we are going to be able to do it all in a couple of transfer windows. He'd fill a position of need competently if not spectacularly (as well as giving us left back cover) that would allow us to concentrate on getting permanent additions elsewhere and then next season bring in a younger and hopefully better player to fill his position.

• Upvote 1