Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Shinnie was great for us, but at the same time had his limitations (unless the low no. of Scotland caps was purely down to Weegie club bias which I don't think). We should move on and he doesn't come under the age bracket we are rightly looking at anyway.

2 hours ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

https://vimeo.com/500089701

Nice video of Ramadani when plating in Denmark. only a 7 min video and obviously doesn't show the bad bits but definitely looks very capable player and got the physicality to do well in Scotland. Dare i say reminds me a little bit of Markus Heikkinen back in the day. I'm going to say he will be a fans favourite. 

I'm not really fully in agreement with BonnieDon that signing a player from abroad is always going to be better than from Scotland and lower leagues as many players from abroad do find it hard to adjust to Scottish or British life and culture. And I think its often the case that a game of football and a result often means much more to us than it does to many people in other countries. They turn up on a sat and try to win but if they don't they just move onto the next week and its no big deal. Over here they get beat and they get abused by a teams own fans for the next week so it can be a culture shock they find hard to adjust to. Some of the Americans that have been over recently have alluded to this.

Its got to be a balance with a mix of Scottish players, lower league from down south and a sprinkling of foreigners with a bit of class but also a bit of dig about them. 

Of course that is just a video created by his agent most likely but can see why Goodwin would like him for sure.

Good grafter. Great positional sense, seems a decent tackler, got a decent enough right foot & not scared of the long range pass.

I think he will be very much appreciated by the fans after a short time.

Better than Jack for all the things mentioned before & not scared of long range pass rather than all the shitty 5 yard passes to help pad his passing completion stats

2 hours ago, minijc said:

His reading of a game was very poor as was his tackling, those two combined meant he was often caught out of position and running about like a headless chicken but at least he'd needlessly dive in to a tackle, thump his chest and get booked though #Passion

At least he was easy to replace and we've been ace ever since

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

His attitude & commitment were spot on.

But his technique wasn’t great & a lot of his running around was to chase after misplaced passes.

He’s not what we need, particularly with us apparently about to sign Ramadani, who looks like a Markus Heikkenen type.

A Heikkinen type. No fuss midfielder who sits deep and keeps the ball. Sounds absolutely ideal for the 75% of possession and no goals dream to continue

Wouldn’t mind Shinnie back but only on loan really. Wouldn’t want us blowing loads of money on him at all. 
If there is an option for him to come back to Scotland (loan or permanent) I think we would be completing (again) with Hibs & Hearts for him & Hearts would be far more willing to spunk more cash on him than we would. 

Very much doubt we will see Shinnie back with us. Even though he probably is the type of player JG would like, I think Ramadani will fill that void

7 minutes ago, minijc said:

Jack was a bigger miss, at least he could pass a ball.

Ah yes. The master of the (stat padding) 5 yard pass. Jack was completely overrated dull & shite. Scared of a tackle until he had the Orc hordes on his back & was forced to grow a set of (albeit wee) balls

32 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

It’s good that everybody can get what type a player he is and his attributes from a 7 minute video, we have excellent scouts among us here

No different to the opposite extreme you get on all forums , i.e. "he is shite" - based on never having seen him play a minute of football.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Ah yes. The master of the (stat padding) 5 yard pass. Jack was completely overrated dull & shite. Scared of a tackle until he had the Orc hordes on his back & was forced to grow a set of (albeit wee) balls

Such a deluded bitter view if Jack. He was a brilliant player in red. 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, minijc said:

It's not about rewriting history though, in my opinion he was not an excellent player for us, got off with having limited ability because he thumped his chest and showed passion.  Also think it's mental that we went years without having a proper left back, signed him then after a season threw him in midfield, we'd have been better off keeping him at left back. 

He was Derbys POTY until he left. Worth mentioning 

2 hours ago, minijc said:

Jack was a bigger miss, at least he could pass a ball.

Think we missed all of the midfielders from around that period when they moved on. Jack, McLean, Shinnie, Christie (when he returned after his loan spell). Each of them brought something different and they gave a great balance to the midfield which we've never had since. Last 2-3 seasons especially we've had a midfield made up of very similar style midfielders. 

Jack was a better footballer than Shinnie, but Shinnie brought something more to the team than just his footballing ability - he brought leadership and passion which I think led to others raising their game, and engaged the fans. I'd argue we've missed a player with Shinnie's passion in the team more than we've missed a player with Jack's ability to retain possession. 

• Upvote 1

Agree with this, it's got be worth a try given our greater scouting capabilities & certainly more exciting than just looking players from other SPFL/English lower division teams.

It's bound to be a bit hit & miss, but we could unearth some gems, like wee Vinny, who still has a way to go but is showing great potential IMO.

Saying that, I'd still take Shinnie & Ronan too.

Just now, Awayfromhomered said:

Agree with this, it's got be worth a try given our greater scouting capabilities & certainly more exciting than just looking players from other SPFL/English lower division teams.

It's bound to be a bit hit & miss, but we could unearth some gems, like wee Vinny, who still has a way to go but is showing great potential IMO.

Saying that, I'd still take Shinnie & Ronan too.

3 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

I'm not against signing players from the lower leagues of England and Scotland however the new recruitment team seems to be better prepared for identifying/unearthing potential gems in Europe. I very much doubt McInnes and Russ Richardson invested as much resources into the data/metrics of any prospective player as we do currently.

I feel our budget may go further by sourcing in the European market. We're competing with our direct rivals in Scotland as well as those in England when searching for players within the British Isles. Our player pool has obviously expanded with the arrival of Mowbray (and Atlanta Utd) and clearly our recruitment strategy is much more thorough than it's probably ever been. Currently there isn't many players in the SPL outside of Hearts and the OF that I'd want to see us sign. Alan Forrest has clearly done well this season however the likes of Forrest, Bailey, Anderson, Levitt, Rooney, McCart, Kevin Van Veen etc... its all a bit meh for me.

The first signing of the new recruitment team, Wee Vinny, was a young player who was doing well in the lower leagues of Holland and clearly had the potential to perform at a higher level. A player of his ability (at the age of 21) in England/Scotland would be out of our reach and would likely be signed by a wealthier club. Controversial opinion but I honestly couldn't name another winger outside the OF that I'd take over Vinny. I wouldn't take Barrie McKay, GMS, Jordan Roberts, Woolery, RCC, Hungbo and anyone from Hibs. Aside from his feigning injury antics, Vinny has looked (imo) impressive at times and with better players around him could be a key player for us going forward. And remember he's only just turned 21 and was discovered in the European market.

I'd actually argue it's more hit and miss sourcing players in England as generally we attempt to sign cast offs from League 1/Championship clubs or players of teams flirting with relegation in League 1 (teams like Morecambe who have a few ex Aberdeen/St Mirren/Hearts players). We can source better players in Europe IMO, for potentially less wages and its not as big a "gamble" given the scouting capabilities now in place under Mowbray. They'll have done their due diligence on Ramadani.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Broken_Glass said:

Such a deluded bitter view if Jack. He was a brilliant player in red. 

no bitterness whatsoever. Assuming you think I am saying this because he is a hun 

And that is the view from the polar opposite end of the scale from you. 

I never rated Jack as a player. Massively over rated. Bang average at best. He based his game on keeping his shitty we possession stats high & made all the short passes even if it meant putting other players at risk of losing possession. He was a selfish player. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

no bitterness whatsoever. Assuming you think I am saying this because he is a hun 

And that is the view from the polar opposite end of the scale from you. 

I never rated Jack as a player. Massively over rated. Bang average at best. He based his game on keeping his shitty we possession stats high & made all the short passes even if it meant putting other players at risk of losing possession. He was a selfish player. 

Jack was an above average player for us but highly frustrating. We quite simply couldn't counter attack with him in the team. On the break he needed to hold the ball for at least 5 seconds to then play a sideways pass, by this time the opposition defence have at made it back.

11 minutes ago, Donmacca said:

Jack was an above average player for us but highly frustrating. We quite simply couldn't counter attack with him in the team. On the break he needed to hold the ball for at least 5 seconds to then play a sideways pass, by this time the opposition defence have at made it back.

Folk love to talk about how Aberdeen peaked and began to get worse after the 16/17 Scottish cup final…. But refuse to admit Jack, who left after that game, was any good ?

• Upvote 5
14 minutes ago, Donmacca said:

Disagree. A counter attacking team was essentially what we were 2014-17, with Hayes, PP and McGinn at their very peak. Jack was a part of that.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

I think Ferguson now is better than Jack was when he left, and has a higher ceiling.

Folk don't appreciate him either.

Ferguson is our best player by far. He'll be sorely missed and I wouldn't be surprised if we run his contract down further and hold on to him

18 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Disagree. A counter attacking team was essentially what we were 2014-17, with Hayes, PP and McGinn at their very peak. Jack was a part of that.

Jack was shit and frustrating, passed back and sideways more times than he ever passed the ball forward

• Like 1