Summer 2022 Transfer Window

4 minutes ago, Zorba said:

You think Hladky is a better all-round keeper than Lewis? Thought he was Ok at St Mirren, but if he was as good as people seem to remember him being he surely would have ended up further up the leagues than newly promoted League 2 Salford City?

Also imagine Hladky would want similar or more per week than Joe Lewis.

Hladky looked good when he played for St Mirren but I've not really seen him much since. 

That's not what I said though.  I said that I thought Goodwin would be happy to swap the two. 

Anyway we did the Hladky v Lewis thing a few weeks ago and the concensus was split, but probably slightly more in favour of Hladky than the current version of Lewis 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Hladky looked good when he played for St Mirren but I've not really seen him much since. 

That's not what I said though.  I said that I thought Goodwin would be happy to swap the two. 

Anyway we did the Hladky v Lewis thing a few weeks ago and the concensus was split, but probably slightly more in favour of Hladky than the current version of Lewis 

I was just asking your opinion on Hladky as I can't see the huge appeal of him from what I remember. I'd maybe be more enthusiastic if we didn't already have Lewis and Roos.

3 minutes ago, Zorba said:

I was just asking your opinion on Hladky as I can't see the huge appeal of him from what I remember. I'd maybe be more enthusiastic if we didn't already have Lewis and Roos.

Sorry min, misread your thread. 

I thought he looked really good at St Mirren a few years ago.  But I've maybe seen him in no more than a handful of Salford games in the period since so can't judge recent form. 

The issue may be that Joe isn't fully trusted any more due to very inconsistent form the last couple of years. Or as you say, Joe might fancy moving back down south.  He's from the Suffolk area I believe so a swap might be a good deal for everyone concerned at this stage. 

47 minutes ago, minijc said:

Age a huge factor, more chance of recouping money on the guys we've spent cash on than over paying on an injury prone 29 year old and a 31 year old goalkeeper, next to no chance of getting anything back on either, add in that Dunne isn't good, it was right to bin that off.

44 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I take that point.

If that's happened I'd say it's a good thing and the recruitment committee have steered Goodwin that way rather than him seeing the light

Pretty sure that would have been crystal clear from day one given it's at the centre of the clubs' stradegy/prawcess. 

35 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

As soon as there was a sniff of decent money coming in (Ramsay) all talk of those players died a death, that implies to me that we shifted focus to better alternatives.

We were offering pennies because we had pennies, as soon as we had decent cash to spend we spent it elsewhere. Personally I am very happy that's the case.

Hopefully with a full season under his belt Connor Barron will profit us a similar fee either next summer or the one after. Already drawn the attention of Brentford.

Ryan Duncan looks a real talent. Surprising tall in statue for such a nimble footed player. No doubt we'll potential profit a few million from him in the future.

A winning formula: Sell talented players for several million, invest a portion of that into recruiting emerging talent for a small (significant enough for us) fee, Invest into our own youth team, rinse and repeat.

Not sure if they still follow this transfer policy to date but Lyon around 15 years ago or so would predominantly only sign players 23 years old or younger with the intention to sell them on. It was around the time they dominated domestically in France.

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

Of course in the Arsene Wenger world you say this is my valuation and i am not budging.

Allegedly our offers

£125k Dunne vs asking price of £300k

£0k Hladky vs asking price of £100k to £300k

I think they both just seem a bit fishy.

I find it hard to believe Goodwin wanted Lauritsen/Lopes over these guys. Different positions of course but its the cash in the pot.

I'm just saying I don't think its the end of both stories until Goodwin is sacked.

Edit: one or both to rock up at Pittodrie in next 6 months.

I think Dunne only has 12 months left on his St Mirren contract. If one of our CH's picks up a longish term injury then I could certainly see us offering £50k in January for him to give us a bit of cover. 

Presumably Roos is our first choice 'keeper now. How Lewis feels about that is anyone's guess but if Roos somehow turns out to be gash, as things stand Lewis will go back in there. I can't see Hladky signing for us without being assured he would be first choice. And I just don't see us making that commitment unless we had moved one of Lewis or Roos on elsewhere first. 

13 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I think Dunne only has 12 months left on his St Mirren contract. If one of our CH's picks up a longish term injury then I could certainly see us offering £50k in January for him to give us a bit of cover. 

Presumably Roos is our first choice 'keeper now. How Lewis feels about that is anyone's guess but if Roos somehow turns out to be gash, as things stand Lewis will go back in there. I can't see Hladky signing for us without being assured he would be first choice. And I just don't see us making that commitment unless we had moved one of Lewis or Roos on elsewhere first. 

Is Roos first choice but? I presumed they’ll get a few cup games each.

46 minutes ago, Bournemouth Gee said:

Hope not. Be great if a local player stayed and had a great career at AFC.

Unlikely, I know

The money alone is enough for 99% of players to move on, as long as they don't run down their contracts and leave on a free or move to one of the ugly sisters then I'm happy for them to move on to better things, I think this is the AFC way now, develop players and sell for profit 

1 hour ago, BonnieDon said:

Hopefully with a full season under his belt Connor Barron will profit us a similar fee either next summer or the one after. Already drawn the attention of Brentford.

Ryan Duncan looks a real talent. Surprising tall in statue for such a nimble footed player. No doubt we'll potential profit a few million from him in the future.

A winning formula: Sell talented players for several million, invest a portion of that into recruiting emerging talent for a small (significant enough for us) fee, Invest into our own youth team, rinse and repeat.

Not sure if they still follow this transfer policy to date but Lyon around 15 years ago or so would predominantly only sign players 23 years old or younger with the intention to sell them on. It was around the time they dominated domestically in France.

I hope we keep our best players and actually win something in a few years. There is more to football than just selling players for millions or are we just to know our place 

56 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Roos could quite easily be gash derby fans wernt to enamoured by him and they were pretty rank, so joe could quite easily get the number one spot 

15 minutes ago, thurso said:

I hope we keep our best players and actually win something in a few years. There is more to football than just selling players for millions or are we just to know our place 

It's a scalable model though?

2022/23

Value of players sold: £10m

Value of players bought: £2m

2023/24

Value of players sold: £15m

Value of players bought: £5m

2024/2025

Value of players sold: £20m

Value of players bought: £7.5m

Repeat ad nauseum. Obviously exaggerated figures but there's no reason we can't keep profiting from developing players AND improve as a team over time.

Assuming of course our recruitment team are on the ball.

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

It's a scalable model though?

2022/23

Value of players sold: £10m

Value of players bought: £2m

2023/24

Value of players sold: £15m

Value of players bought: £5m

2024/2025

Value of players sold: £20m

Value of players bought: £7.5m

Repeat ad nauseum. Obviously exaggerated figures but there's no reason we can't keep profiting from developing players AND improve as a team over time.

Assuming of course our recruitment team are on the ball.

Good idea but I don’t think we will spend more than we are spending now, as generally players bought for more want more wages and we can’t afford that 

3 minutes ago, thurso said:

Good idea but I don’t think we will spend more than we are spending now, as generally players bought for more want more wages and we can’t afford that 

If the club is making group stages in Europe on a regular basis as well as selling a player or two for a profit I don’t see why the club wouldn’t be willing to spend a bit more

5 minutes ago, thurso said:

But we could afford that with that model, that's the whole point. If you take in more money on player sales year on year then you can spend more on buying and paying the wages while still making a profit.

Consistent, linear progression.

18 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

He will be no1. 

JG said pre Peterhead that we’d have a good idea of who’s no1 when the team was selected.

The shirt is his until he makes a couple of errors (which if you believe where’s been said by Derby fans) won’t be far away. 

He's already made one, looked iffy on the second ball before Scales cleared. 

21 minutes ago, thurso said:

Roos could quite easily be gash derby fans wernt to enamoured by him and they were pretty rank, so joe could quite easily get the number one spot 

We're not in a position right now to turn down £3M+ for a player. I'd imagine the strategy at the moment is to sell a few players to sustain a higher budget and for us to compete at a higher level in Europe (get further) and actually do something in the cups and compete at the top end of the league.  If we're regularly making European group stages then selling players is less urgent.  We also have a stadium to fund. 

Even with European football, we're not exactly making the kind of money Rangers and Celtic will through the Champions League so we need to supplement our meagre Europa League pennies with selling the odd player. 

7 minutes ago, minijc said:

He's already made one, looked iffy on the second ball before Scales cleared. 

Aye, flapped about a bit. Was that not right after a good save to his left?

Maybe encapsulates him as a goalie in 30 seconds.   
Good save, then a flap at a cross   
Derby fans said he was dodgy with crosses.

I’d have preferred Hladky. 

I think Roos is an upgrade on Woods, definitely, but on a par with big Joe, no better. 

28 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

He will be no1. 

JG said pre Peterhead that we’d have a good idea of who’s no1 when the team was selected.

The shirt is his until he makes a couple of errors (which if you believe where’s been said by Derby fans) won’t be far away. 

Aye I’ve watched him for Derby a good few times. I’ve a mate from down south who supports them and really doesn’t rate him. He’s no a GK that gives you confidence from my viewings … but he deserves a chance. Imo he’s not an improvement on Joe.

• Upvote 1
Just now, ThomohawkKid said:

Aye I’ve watched him for Derby a good few times. I’ve a mate from down south who supports them and really doesn’t rate him. He’s no a GK that gives you confidence from my viewings … but he deserves a chance. Imo he’s not an improvement on Joe.

I’ve seen him a few times too. 

He was either champagne or shite as I recall. 

Not what you want. You want reliable like Joe was for the first few years.

I do think the Derby fans have an even more tainted view as his most high profile howler was the Aston Villa goal in the play off final a few years back, obviously a high profile error is never forgotten. 
Came out for a cross & assumed he’d catch it at waste height… McGinn nipped in & headed it past him. 

Not convinced he’s an upgrade on Joe but we’ll find out soon enough. 

6 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I think Roos is an upgrade on Woods, definitely, but on a par with big Joe, no better. 

Aye, willing to let it slide as it was just a weird couple of minutes out of nowhere.

5 minutes ago, ThomohawkKid said:

My derby supporting pal says he got a lot of stick that wasn’t warranted because he made a few errors. Majority of the time he was good. 

5 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

A landmine victim would have been an upgrade on Woods. 

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

But we could afford that with that model, that's the whole point. If you take in more money on player sales year on year then you can spend more on buying and paying the wages while still making a profit.

Consistent, linear progression.

You can’t forecast what you might make on a player. If we sell a player for millions great take the extra money and do something within our means but one bad season of not selling a player or two or making the group stages and you run up a massive debt again which we can’t afford that’s how we ran up massive debt before was it not paying wages we couldn’t afford