Summer 2022 Transfer Window

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think we're agreed that we need another left back to be the first choice this season. 

Other than that I'm nae that fussed which 2 get loaned out as I think there will be games to be had for whoever is left. 

The advantage in keeping McKenzie is that he could potentially cover left centre back as well. 

74-CF3179-DC8-F-4-F6-D-9-C1-E-4849-E3301

hes still there, ingvarsson, bring him home

7 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

I think possibly we are looking at a creative Mid and LB along with Duk, cant be far off with that? Sure one of the ITK will say otherwise ??

If we could pick up a Christie / Maddison type I think Goodwin could have the makings of a decent side. 

Those would be my first choice picks as well. 

Left back and attacking central midfield. 

Then we'd be looking fairly well balanced. 

Funnily enough these two positions seem to be perennial problems for us to fill on a permanent basis. 

10 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Those would be my first choice picks as well. 

Left back and attacking central midfield. 

Then we'd be looking fairly well balanced. 

Funnily enough these two positions seem to be perennial problems for us to fill on a permanent basis. 

Yeah we  certainly find it hard to fill these positions, but you could also say it's hard to find decent players in these positions 

6 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

Yeah we  certainly find it hard to fill these positions, but you could also say it's hard to find decent players in these positions 

Well you could argue that in Scotland, left back is one of the easier positions for clubs to find.

In the past 10 years we've produced Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Doig  and even Greg Taylor. All of whom have been sold for multiple millions at least once. We were supposedly in for Robertson but he chose Dundee United ahead of us. 

3 hours ago, Dandys1983 said:

Think this is where we are with regards to the squad so far not sure who is the cover fro Richardson other than McCrorie, not sure about Vicente in the Middle where he played most of last night, think we could end up with Kennedy being Vicente back up on the right side and someone coming in for the No10 role. 

spacer.png

I thought the front three would consist of Bjoan, Ramirez, Duk, Kennedy, Duncan, Vicente and Watkins. We are a bit overloaded here after Goodwin says he wants another pacey winger (my guess a left footed one). The opposite situation to last season. I think some of the players here will be moved on - Duncan out on another loan, Watkins to go or Kennedy to go (unlikely he seems to like Kennedy) .

The midfield three would have McCrorie and Ramadani as sitting midfielders and Barron with new attacking central midfield signing in the advanced position.  Barron filling in for number 8/6 in the holding midfield position. Vicente covering the number 10 advanced midfield role when Barron has to drop back to cover the deeper roles. 

McCrorie filling in for right back. Left back I think it was going to be between McKenzie and Hayes but Hancock has given Goodwin something to think about after a good pre-season. 

Seems a lot more balanced this team with competition and competent players able to fill in a number of positions. McLennan is toast. 

10 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Well you could argue that in Scotland, left back is one of the easier positions for clubs to find.

In the past 10 years we've produced Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Doig  and even Greg Taylor. All of whom have been sold for multiple millions at least once. We were supposedly in for Robertson but he chose Dundee United ahead of us. 

Robertson had already agreed to join utd before we made our move after mcinnes was appointed. 

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

According to AFC he is Aberdeen FC | Jack Milne (afc.co.uk) 

There was an interview with him on RedTV from the training camp in Spain.  Said something like he'd started out playing up front, then had moved to midfield, and now he's converting to a CB.  Said he preferred it because you can see the whole game in front of you.

Maybe he's going to end up a bit like McCrorie, getting game time in defence and in midfield and then we'll have another player we can all argue about which is their best position.

1 minute ago, RabidGiraffe said:

There was an interview with him on RedTV from the training camp in Spain.  Said something like he'd started out playing up front, then had moved to midfield, and now he's converting to a CB.  Said he preferred it because you can see the whole game in front of you.

Maybe he's going to end up a bit like McCrorie, getting game time in defence and in midfield and then we'll have another player we can all argue about which is their best position.

Sounds like it, he looked liked he had played at CB for a while seeing him last night, think the youth set up deserves a lot of praise when you look at some of these youngsters that are pushing for the first team now. 

1 minute ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Jim Goodwin has said in a few interviews he sees him as a centre half. 
Has the attributes he thinks.

6’4”. 
Good in the air.  
Good on the ball.

JG said they wanted to bulk him up a bit though and add a few kilos to him.
They should’ve kept Jet on as an adviser. 

We definitely are coaching him to be, and see him as, a right sided centre half.

He may well have jumped over David Bates to be first back up for Anthony Stewart. 

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

According to AFC he is Aberdeen FC | Jack Milne (afc.co.uk) 

He played as a holding centre midfielder as he came through the youth teams and we loaned him out to Brechin as one last season but we decided that we wanted to turn him into a Centre half so took him back here in Jan so we could develop him into one.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/3848640/long-read-neil-simpson-explains-how-aberdeen-are-using-two-part-approach-to-get-u18s-graduates-ready-for-first-team/

"Jack Milne, 18, is also back from Brechin City, something which was prompted by a positional change.

Simpson explained: “We feel we want to start developing him as a centre-back – he’s 6ft 4in. So we’ve taken him back into the fold just to train with the first team and learn him some of the basic concepts of being a centre-half.

“The option will then be to put him back out on loan again or, depending how the manager likes Jack (keep him with the first team).”"

And JG said in his interview last night that we need to work on building up Jack physically last night and putting more bulk on him but that he has the height and all the attributes to become a top class central defender. 

5 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

He played as a holding centre midfielder as he came through the youth teams and we loaned him out to Brechin as one last season but we decided that we wanted to turn him into a Centre half so took him back here in Jan so we could develop him into one.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/3848640/long-read-neil-simpson-explains-how-aberdeen-are-using-two-part-approach-to-get-u18s-graduates-ready-for-first-team/

"Jack Milne, 18, is also back from Brechin City, something which was prompted by a positional change.

Simpson explained: “We feel we want to start developing him as a centre-back – he’s 6ft 4in. So we’ve taken him back into the fold just to train with the first team and learn him some of the basic concepts of being a centre-half.

“The option will then be to put him back out on loan again or, depending how the manager likes Jack (keep him with the first team).”"

And JG said in his interview last night that we need to work on building up Jack physically last night and putting more bulk on him but that he has the height and all the attributes to become a top class central defender. 

Good read that article. 

Unless you're David Bates. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Aye he's certainly got the height to be a CB. If he had the build of McKenna he'd be a monster. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=4&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

Surely a left back out of contract here worth a punt. If we can't get a younger up and coming one I'd even take Neil Taylor or similar for a year to allow 2 of Nwenga/Hancock/mckenzie to go out on loan then push for the spot next summer it they are ready.

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I'm not.

Ngwenya and Hancock need games. They aren't going to improve sitting on the bench waiting for whoever is first choice to get injured, or picking up the odd 10-15 minutes as a sub in games where we are winning and in "game management" mode.

McKenzie isn't going to make much, if any, improvement in his game at his age. He'd be ok purely as a back-up maybe playing 10 games a season against weaker opposition to give our starter a bit of a rest now and again. Although you'd hope that one of the younger 2, if they get a loan this season and kick on a bit, might be ready to challenge for the starting spot next season, in which case we might be able to allow McKenzie to leave permanently.

I was thinking they'd get better experience playing 10-20 games with us than at Brechin or whatever but if we have a solid LB first choice and he stays fit then you're probably right.

1 hour ago, Durrant Dived said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=4&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=alle&seit=alle&yt0=Show

Surely a left back out of contract here worth a punt. If we can't get a younger up and coming one I'd even take Neil Taylor or similar for a year to allow 2 of Nwenga/Hancock/mckenzie to go out on loan then push for the spot next summer it they are ready.

Jannes Horn makes sense but probably way out of our wage range, unless he's desperate.

The more I observe Goodwin's approach to building a team the more I like the "cut of his jib".

In other words players that had more than enough chances last season,  and perhaps are beyond change, have either already been discarded or are likely to be discarded. 

There is no doubt that transfer fees received, plus the reported extra circa £1m add-on for McKenna, will greatly help big Jim's rebuild but I do expect more signings to come, and good signings too.

Our improvement will not happen overnight but I certainly have more optimism this season than last.

COYR.....

• Upvote 2
On 7/11/2022 at 7:08 PM, TheRedPrawcess said:

Benfica are a Champions League team. Folk on here are getting a boner about Ronan who can't get a game for Wolves.

You're right, folks on here only want to down the team and the signings that have been made. We sit at home or at pittodrie and see our team the scouts watch other teams and recommend players that they think are a good fit. Then the manager looks at the guy and says yay or nay. If the manager thinks that Ronan is a good fit then what is your problem saying people have a "boner" for mentioning him. If you have someone better in mind then let's hear him.

20 minutes ago, J4m35 said:

You're right, folks on here only want to down the team and the signings that have been made. We sit at home or at pittodrie and see our team the scouts watch other teams and recommend players that they think are a good fit. Then the manager looks at the guy and says yay or nay. If the manager thinks that Ronan is a good fit then what is your problem saying people have a "boner" for mentioning him. If you have someone better in mind then let's hear him.

I wasn't having a dig about signing Ronan. Honestly, I'm fine with signing him. Actually said somewhere on here I'd be fine if we paid a fee for him.

My point was that someone was questioning if Lopes was really that good because at 22 he couldn't get a game for Benfica, a massive Champions League club. Yet people were very excited about 24 year old Ronan who has played less than 20 games for Wolves in 6 years. All games played in the Championship as well. Surely you see the point I am making now?

8 minutes ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

I wasn't having a dig about signing Ronan. Honestly, I'm fine with signing him. Actually said somewhere on here I'd be fine if we paid a fee for him.

My point was that someone was questioning if Lopes was really that good because at 22 he couldn't get a game for Benfica, a massive Champions League club. Yet people were very excited about 24 year old Ronan who has played less than 20 games for Wolves in 6 years. All games played in the Championship as well. Surely you see the point I am making now?

Benfica B aren't a champions league club though ;)

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

Correct.

I'm not really sure where to go with this as I don't get your point haha

Well Lopes is from Benfica B, not Benfica, so not a champions league team. More a wolves kinda team. I was just being a wido cause it was benfica B, I do however agree that folk shouldn't be snuffing their nose up at him?

Admittedly it would be a fk load harder for a Benfica B team striker(or CH for example)  to break into first team than say a Benfica B team midfielder where not as much scrutiny 

I will err on side of optimism rather than MT Ramirez negativity rgds The Duk ?

wonder if Duk is pronounced like ? quack quack or Duke ? ?

54 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Well Lopes is from Benfica B, not Benfica, so not a champions league team. More a wolves kinda team. I was just being a wido cause it was benfica B, I do however agree that folk shouldn't be snuffing their nose up at him?

Oh aye I know that. He can't get into the main, Champions League, Benfica first team is exactly my point.

Absolutely on that last point. I'm optimistic on this one.