Summer 2022 Transfer Window

18 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We'd be better signing a left back first as we don't even have a decent first choice in that position

We can always use Bates, Milne, McCrorie and Mackenzie as centre back cover in the short term. If Milne breaks through it would be a massive bonus

Found myself agreeing with you a lot today. Bringing in a more experienced LB as first choice wouldn't be the worst idea. MacKenzie has potential but didn't progress last season to the extent that Ramsay did. Maybe bringing in a new first choice LB would take the pressure off him. Hopefully he'd then be hungry for it whenever he got his chances.

6 minutes ago, redone said:

I wouldn't write off Mackenzie as a reasonable left back just yet.  What's his current injury and how long is he expected to be out for ?

I would. He's 22 now and he's not going to improve to the standard we require. Horrifically one footed, and usually causes attacks down the left flank to stall/break down by either stopping and playing an inside pass or passing straight to the opposition. And then is miles out of position. As a pure defender he's ok but no more. Problem is he's on a contract until 2025 and we could be stuck with him. He's not good enough to attract interest from the likes of Motherwell or St Mirren, but probably too expensive wages wise to be an option for the likes of Partick or Raith which is more like his level. 

Ngwenya and Hancock just aren't ready yet. It looks like Hancock is the preferred option covering McKenzie right now but although he was steady enough v Dumbarton, he was having a nightmare and totally out of his depth against Peterhead before injury (thankfully) caused him to be taken off after about half an hour. Might be ready in a season or two but for now, both need loans to toughen them up and broaden their experience.

We have plenty cash to spare to splash out on a first choice left back. Get it done please Goodwin.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Taking Shinnie on loan to play left back for a season would solve a short term problem

A position he hasn't played (other than to cover short term injuries) since he was with ICT.

I could probably go with it, but I'm not sure Shinnie would agree to it

22 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I would. He's 22 now and he's not going to improve to the standard we require. Horrifically one footed, and usually causes attacks down the left flank to stall/break down by either stopping and playing an inside pass or passing straight to the opposition. And then is miles out of position. As a pure defender he's ok but no more. Problem is he's on a contract until 2025 and we could be stuck with him. He's not good enough to attract interest from the likes of Motherwell or St Mirren, but probably too expensive wages wise to be an option for the likes of Partick or Raith which is more like his level. 

Ngwenya and Hancock just aren't ready yet. It looks like Hancock is the preferred option covering McKenzie right now but although he was steady enough v Dumbarton, he was having a nightmare and totally out of his depth against Peterhead before injury (thankfully) caused him to be taken off after about half an hour. Might be ready in a season or two but for now, both need loans to toughen them up and broaden their experience.

We have plenty cash to spare to splash out on a first choice left back. Get it done please Goodwin.

Plenty folk said much the same about Considine and not just when he was young,  but throughout his time with us. They were wrong.

I'm not saying Mackenzie is , or will be, as good as Considine turned out ...just that we could do worse than give him the chance to develop. 

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

He doesn't fit with the current philosophy of signing younger players but would still be a fantastic signing on loan if he was available,

Aye that's why I would consider a loan deal for an older player going forward but not a permanent deal like Watkins or Jet got. And only if it helps fill a short term period while we're waiting for younger players to be ready. 

I'd prefer never to loan a player ideally but such is life. 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye that's why I would consider a loan deal for an older player going forward but not a permanent deal like Watkins or Jet got. And only if it helps fill a short term period while we're waiting for younger players to be ready. 

I'd prefer never to loan a player ideally but such is life. 

Not gonna lie but i didn't realise he was only 30, thought he was older than 23 when he signed for us.

Can deal with the occasional loan player... just not from celtic.

50 minutes ago, Rico1903 said:

Nothing in there that says that tho.

Not from him anyway.

Just says he's ready to buckle down and try and force his way into the team at Wigan.

Not confident he'll manage to do that so may have to consider options before end of August.

Would rather we had an established LB in before then, though JG says not on his radar.

Hopefully a bum steer as we 100% need one.

We don't have a competent LB at the club.

Canna believe Goodwin is nae aware of this.

2 hours ago, redone said:

Plenty folk said much the same about Considine and not just when he was young,  but throughout his time with us. They were wrong.

I'm not saying Mackenzie is , or will be, as good as Considine turned out ...just that we could do worse than give him the chance to develop. 

Spot on. I think there is a player in there

43 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

He is 22 years old so Considine comparison not an accurate oneThe only way there is a player in McKenzie is if Shaun Maloney is hiding up his arse 

When Considine was about 22 he was getting written off by plenty fans as not good enough. 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Right what's the next speculation?

Oh and to those that said we won't sign 10 this summer - what say you? Folk on here in May and June going on about us signing 4-6. 

7 signings and 6-7 weeks to go.

For me we still need 3. A "10", centre mid and left back. Would say a winger aswell but we have Miovski and Duk who can both play off the left so i'd be happy to go with them.