Summer 2022 Transfer Window

7 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Aye, McKenzie came on for Coulson last week. But Goodwin cound have put Hayes to LB and McKenzie on for Scales at LCB when the game was clearly over.

Aye, maybe

I think his priority is to get a settled eleven performing consistently just now though.  We've had games where the right side of defence have struggled, the midfield balance hasn't been right and a lack of creativity when Hayes hasn't been on the pitch.

He'll maybe be more inclined to give the fringe players a bit more time once some of these issues have been sorted.

The way some folk have carried on its like every game is a must win for him so you can't blame him for focusing on immediate results rather than development just now.

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye, maybe

I think his priority is to get a settled eleven performing consistently just now though.  We've had games where the right side of defence have struggled, the midfield balance hasn't been right and a lack of creativity when Hayes hasn't been on the pitch.

He'll maybe be more inclined to give the fringe players a bit more time once some of these issues have been sorted.

The way some folk have carried on its like every game is a must win for him so you can't blame him for focusing on immediate results rather than development just now.

Yeah agree with all of that, but…….

bottom line, I don’t get why he’s left us dangerously short of cover at RB and LCB (especially given Scales’ situation) whilst signing a plethora of journeyman or unproven jobbers in other areas. The Celtic and Motherwell games are proof of that.

3 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

bottom line, I don’t get why he’s left us dangerously short of cover at RB and LCB (especially given Scales’ situation) whilst signing a plethora of journeyman or unproven jobbers in other areas. The Celtic and Motherwell games are proof of that.

Yeah i'd rather have got another defender in too

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, minijc said:

Oh Ronan didn't sign, I am shocked.

Yet, we were still hoping to get him yesterday, despite what Wolves told us weeks ago ?. And STILL a target, don't doubt it! 

Anyway, last post from me, back to lurking. Only been posting to poke your ITK status a little, but not in a bad sort of way ?. All the best to you ?

Time for everyone to get behind the team.

• Upvote 6
10 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Do you mean a player who hasn’t had a club since the end of last season, or a player that was released from his contract late on in transfer window?

I would say either would be fine as long as the player is someone who looks after themselves and is not the type of person like JET was who doesn't give a f#ck and would let himself get in even more horrendous shape than he already was.

I noticed Neilson at Hearts talking about 2 of the best signing they have made in recent season came after the deadline day had passed and they picked up both Kingsley and Barrie McKay. Goodwin himself previously signed the likes of Ross Wallace, Matt Millar and Doyle Hayes for St Mirren after deadline day.   

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, DelMonte said:

This thread will be some laugh today. 

Should be closed like the transfer window.

New thread for the winter one.

54 minutes ago, moray1903 said:

I think Goodwin rates and see's a lot in McKenzie. And to be fair I agree with that. McKenzie is a solid enough defender, he is also a very competent passer of the ball and is no slouch. All attributes that could make him a very competent center half and left back. In many ways very similar to Considine. I remember back in the day that lots of people did not rate him and saw him as only a fill in full back or center half. Andrew turn out to be a bit of a fans favourite.  I'm not saying that Jack will turn out to be the same but he deserves the chance. We need to keep that pathway open to allow our own time to develop and progress. I would much rather see McKenzie given the opportunity than waist money on a squad filling journey man 

Mackenzie has frustrated me and I've openly said I don't think he's good enough. But he remains here and I'll give him my backing as he gives his all every time he plays.

He needs to start bring more forward thinking with his passing though. Too often his first instinct seems to be to play it square or back the way.

Overall a great first window. Cleared out the deadwood and the shite, the wage thief's and the uninterested. Good start.

It was fairly obvious to all and sundry that the squad wouldn't be finished in one window and I'm actually surprised and positive about the acquisitions to date, certainly the amount of them and overall the quality of them. 

Like others I appreciate their is a lack of depth in certain areas and my only concerns are our current right back who doesn't appear to want to or be able to defend. That needs addressed either through coaching or clearer instructions. The other I'm not convinced on is the lad Morris, not seen anything yet that suggests what he brings to the table. Early doors - hopefully he shows what he has in his locker soon.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, jimmydragon said:

Yet, we were still hoping to get him yesterday, despite what Wolves told us weeks ago ?. And STILL a target, don't doubt it! 

Anyway, last post from me, back to lurking. Only been posting to poke your ITK status a little, but not in a bad sort of way ?. All the best to you ?

Time for everyone to get behind the team.

What does that mean? 

46 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yeah i'd rather have got another defender in too

Exactly. I know it was always going to be very difficult to replenish the squad completely in one window but it does look like JG has left us short in defence which contradicts what he said about not wanting any player thinking they are guaranteed to play every week. 

I guess last season we only really had two proper CH's as Devlin and Considine were basically injured for the whole campaign. Difference is we had lots of centre midfield cover so McCrorie was played at CH a lot. This time if we get injuries at CH McCrorie will likely drop back but we don't have the same level of centre midfield cover. Either that or JG is confident  MacKenzie and Milne are adequate  CH cover until January.

Fingers crossed we are lucky with defensive injuries and suspensions. 

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

“a plethora of journeymen”

Like who?

22 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Overall a great first window. Cleared out the deadwood and the shite, the wage thief's and the uninterested. Good start.

It was fairly obvious to all and sundry that the squad wouldn't be finished in one window and I'm actually surprised and positive about the acquisitions to date, certainly the amount of them and overall the quality of them. 

Like others I appreciate their is a lack of depth in certain areas and my only concerns are our current right back who doesn't appear to want to or be able to defend. That needs addressed either through coaching or clearer instructions. The other I'm not convinced on is the lad Morris, not seen anything yet that suggests what he brings to the table. Early doors - hopefully he shows what he has in his locker soon.

I'd say that's a fairly good assessment of the first transfer window. 

Morris could well get his big chance next week against the huns. He will have more space to exploit and we'll see if he has the skill to match his lighting pace, and get their defence turning 

29 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

“a plethora of journeymen”

Like who?

To my mind, Stewart is the very embodiment of a "journeyman pro". Turns 30 in just over a fortnight, career up to this summer with Wycombe and Crewe, bouncing mostly between EFL1/2 with a one season sojourn into the Championship.

Roos and Roberts also.

And I think you could make cases for both Scales and Coulson to be defined as such.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing though. Scales and Coulson are for sure upgrades on the players they've usurped from last season. Roos and Stewart might also be, though neither have convinced me as yet...I'd like to see how they look up against sevco and the Edinburgh teams. Roberts got injured so quickly that no one knows.

29 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Either really. Somebody like a Hector. He's still not got a club so we should be looking at guys like that. 

When he joined us on loan he was a young loon needing experience. So the move made sense to him

Fast forward 9 years and he's a multi millionaire, despite having a playing career that couldn't be described as anything other than "underwhelming".  As I've said elsewhere.....I'm not certain he'd fancy relocating 500 miles north for 2-3 years earning a weekly wage that he probably blows in one night out in London. And in the past 3 seasons he only made 28 appearances for Fulham. I've not paid close attention to why that might be the case but no matter if it was injuries or lack of form, in either case it would be a big concern. 

However he's certainly the best option (on paper anyway) of those without clubs right now. 

2 hours ago, moray1903 said:

I think Goodwin rates and see's a lot in McKenzie. And to be fair I agree with that. McKenzie is a solid enough defender, he is also a very competent passer of the ball and is no slouch. All attributes that could make him a very competent center half and left back. In many ways very similar to Considine. I remember back in the day that lots of people did not rate him and saw him as only a fill in full back or center half. Andrew turn out to be a bit of a fans favourite.  I'm not saying that Jack will turn out to be the same but he deserves the chance. We need to keep that pathway open to allow our own time to develop and progress. I would much rather see McKenzie given the opportunity than waist money on a squad filling journey man 

Not sure if McKenzie is good enough in the air for centre half. 

3 hours ago, Schapenneuker said:

It's not the Tim factor that worries me, it's the fact that a suspension or injury to either Stewart or Scales unbalances the team so much....at the moment, McCrorie will move into a position he's not all that great at, and we then lose an important midfielder, leaving us even more vulnerable. 

Hopefully Goodwin sees something in Milne, but he's just a kid with no experience at the moment. And let's not forget that he's also a converted midfielder. 

Willie Miller was a converted striker.

27 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

To my mind, Stewart is the very embodiment of a "journeyman pro". Turns 30 in just over a fortnight, career up to this summer with Wycombe and Crewe, bouncing mostly between EFL1/2 with a one season sojourn into the Championship.

Roos and Roberts also.

And I think you could make cases for both Scales and Coulson to be defined as such.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing though. Scales and Coulson are for sure upgrades on the players they've usurped from last season. Roos and Stewart might also be, though neither have convinced me as yet...I'd like to see how they look up against sevco and the Edinburgh teams. Roberts got injured so quickly that no one knows.

Stewart has played 10 times for crewe, less for us and the rest of his career at 1 team. Far from " a journeyman" in my eyes. Journeyman tag has fuck all to do with the divisions they are bouncing between surely it's just club? ???

32 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Roos and Roberts also.

I would have to disagree for a variety of reasons. The main one being the accepted definition of Journeyman for me would be an older player who has played for a variety of clubs usually but not always not at the highest who whilst never settling the heather on fire has been viewed as being able to do a job.

Somebody like Albert Kidd for example or players who have dodged between St Johnstone Kilmarnock Motherwell St Mirren during lengthy careers.

You haven’t made a case for any of the above players to be deemed journeymen in the proper sense of the word 

To be truthful.  I really dont care what their pedigree is if they prove themselves solid in spfl.  Stewart has solidified a defence with scales that was god awful. Really other than the motherwell game with scales out of position, not much to complain about... similar to many do have concerns abouth depth due to injuries and suspensions. 

8 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

I would have to disagree for a variety of reasons. The main one being the accepted definition of Journeyman for me would be an older player who has played for a variety of clubs usually but not always not at the highest who whilst never settling the heather on fire has been viewed as being able to do a job.

Somebody like Albert Kidd for example or players who have dodged between St Johnstone Kilmarnock Motherwell St Mirren during lengthy careers.

You haven’t made a case for any of the above players to be deemed journeymen in the proper sense of the word 

Craig Brewster springs to mind for me.

3 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's a fine balance between building up the new Scales and Stewart partnership and giving the young loon some minutes I suppose?

Agree with that - important to have as consistent a backline as possible so they can build up understanding etc - I just think that, knowing you're more than likely going to have to play Milne at some point in an important game, it would've made sense to give him some minutes in games already won - even if it was the final 10 minutes it at least gives him a little bit of experience to get used to the pace of the game etc.