Summer 2022 Transfer Window

I’d have wished for another defender or two, Richardson is struggling and I fear won’t cut it and central defence is also fragile number wise but we’ve had such a turnover in the squad it’s not a surprise we are lighter in some areas. The results will let us know how sorted things are. So far we’ve had a bit of good fortune and a bit of style as well as a bit of central midfield inadequacy and right sided frailty. Just hope the former will outweigh the latter but we aren’t going to play 10 men every game - in some we play 12. 

In the interests of a balanced squad a defender or two would have been more beneficial than Morris and that other guy they brought in from Notts County who's name I can't even remember. These guys or guys like them could have been signed during a future transfer window.

Taking McCrorie out of midfield to play in defence weakens the team. Taking Hayes out of left wing to play left back weakens the team. What's the defence against Celtic if Stewart is injured? Richardson, Milne, McCrorie and whatever one of Coulson / McKenzie is not injured? Massive gamble not bringing in at least one defender, we needed at least two with releasing Bates.

1 hour ago, Helmet said:

It's definitely a gamble and I can only think the main reason is the wage bill can't stand anymore additions until more big earners who have become little more than backups like Ramirez, Lewis and Watkins are moved on.

That’s not what Jim Goodwin suggested yesterday.

We’d spoken to two players & they’d have come in regardless of departures. 

It was just they weren’t available. 

Possibly one of the biggest squad turnovers in Aberdeen history, was never going to be able to get everybody out that he didn’t want and get everyone in to better the squad and make us competitive again in one transfer window, at least he has identified the dead wood and now can build in the next couple of windows bringing in only quality players to further strengthen us.

Rome wasn’t built in a day virgin’s 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Dons79 said:

Possibly one of the biggest squad turnovers in Aberdeen history, was never going to be able to get everybody out that he didn’t want and get everyone in to better the squad and make us competitive again in one transfer window, at least he has identified the dead wood and now can build in the next couple of windows bringing in only quality players to further strengthen us.

Rome wasn’t built in a day virgin’s 

Exactly too many bed wetters in the support, folk need to remember it's nae Football Manager or Fifa. 

• Upvote 1

Not ideal but I think we have to get used to the idea that the defensive cover is Mackenzie and Milne, I think even Jim has realised that McCrorie not being in the midfield has a negative effect on the team, I'm more concerned with Richardson being out only recognised RB, we also have to give the recruitment team credit there has been a huge turn over of players, I think we will more than likely see 2-3 in Jan and never know might be someone on a free now that didn't get his move and thinks you know what let's give Aberdeen a try, so let's just support who we have up until the WC break, hopefully we are still at the right end of the table and Goodwin can get the quality players he wants in. 

3 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

Pleased that we have a better looking squad than a year ago. 

Happy that Ramirez didn't go. Sort yerself out son, we need back-up to Miovski, and you're a good player. 

Worried (like everybody) that we've left ourselves short in defence. 

Agree 100%

1 hour ago, Shinniesta said:

Unless we sign an out of contract centre half then if we make the LC semis and draw Celtic either McCrorie or Milne will be playing CH that day possibly both if Stewart is injured or suspended. He must believe MacKenzie is capable of playing LCH I can't think of any other explanation of why he wouldn't bring another defender in.

I agree we are short but given weve avoided Celtic in the quarter finals then we don't play Celtic before the world cup finals so there is a bit more of an excuse for taking a chance.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I agree we are short but given weve avoided Celtic in the quarter finals then we don't play Celtic before the world cup finals so there is a bit more of an excuse for taking a chance.

It's not the Tim factor that worries me, it's the fact that a suspension or injury to either Stewart or Scales unbalances the team so much....at the moment, McCrorie will move into a position he's not all that great at, and we then lose an important midfielder, leaving us even more vulnerable. 

Hopefully Goodwin sees something in Milne, but he's just a kid with no experience at the moment. And let's not forget that he's also a converted midfielder. 

2 hours ago, Shinniesta said:

Unless we sign an out of contract centre half then if we make the LC semis and draw Celtic either McCrorie or Milne will be playing CH that day possibly both if Stewart is injured or suspended. He must believe MacKenzie is capable of playing LCH I can't think of any other explanation of why he wouldn't bring another defender in.

Not necessarily, the semi final is not played until 14/15 January so the next window will have been open for a couple of weeks to bring in another centre back if needed

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

I don’t think anyone is arguing about the level of the squad turnaround but it’s the fact that he has brought in wingers by the bus load, some of them of questionable ability whilst ignoring cover across the entire back line 

Maybe he’s going for the “we’ll score more than you” philosophy?

You’re right about the lack of cover, and you’d hope there’s a decent free agent available to come in…

1 hour ago, AyrshireSheep said:

It won't be down to money. Goodwin said in his presser yesterday thwt the money was available if the right player came along. 

I do think there will be a free agent centre half coming in. There needs to be. No way we can run with just Stewart and Scales. Dangerous tactic.

Haven’t seen the presser so didn’t know he’d said that.

Better to wait for the player he wants than spunk money on a last minute loanee or English lower league shite journeyman? 

Obviously a couple of injuries and we’ll be royally screwed, unless we manage to get a decent free agent.

25 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

Maybe he’s going for the “we’ll score more than you” philosophy?

You’re right about the lack of cover, and you’d hope there’s a decent free agent available to come in…

Haven’t seen the presser so didn’t know he’d said that.

Better to wait for the player he wants than spunk money on a last minute loanee or English lower league shite journeyman? 

Obviously a couple of injuries and we’ll be royally screwed, unless we manage to get a decent free agent.

100%

We all criticised the endless loaning of squad filler shite like Tate, Monakana et al that McInnes used to lumber us with every year.  All that policy achieves is blocking the path to the first team for our own youth, good that it appears to have been ditched. 

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

Hopefully Goodwin sees something in Milne, but he's just a kid with no experience at the moment. And let's not forget that he's also a converted midfielder. 

This is the odd thing for me... if Milne is our only defensive cover, why is Goodwin not throwing him on for 30 mins or so in the games we were well ahead in to give him a bit of experience. Better to have these 20-30 mins behind him before he's thrown in to start out of necessity when others are injured or suspended. 

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

This is the odd thing for me... if Milne is our only defensive cover, why is Goodwin not throwing him on for 30 mins or so in the games we were well ahead in to give him a bit of experience. Better to have these 20-30 mins behind him before he's thrown in to start out of necessity when others are injured or suspended. 

Give goodwin a chance to do that; Maybe he thought he would get mcgloughlin over the line yesterday and now he hasn't he can take that into consideration?

2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

I don’t think anyone is arguing about the level of the squad turnaround but it’s the fact that he has brought in wingers by the bus load, some of them of questionable ability whilst ignoring cover across the entire back line 

Aye, the purchase of Morris &/or Roberts looks like unnecessary.

One or the other would’ve been plenty. 

Another defender in instead of either.

It is what is. Fingers crossed for no injuries.

It does seem poor/strange after spending about £1.5m, bringing in 11(?) players that we’re still one injury (Stewart, Scales or Richardson) from weakening the defence & having a lightweight midfield.

I get that it’s very difficult to plug all the holes in one window, but we do seem a bit unbalanced & trusting to luck with injury. 

25 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Or throw McKenzie in at LCB,  after an hour v Livvie last Saturday?

16 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

It's a fine balance between building up the new Scales and Stewart partnership and giving the young loon some minutes I suppose?

I think Goodwin rates and see's a lot in McKenzie. And to be fair I agree with that. McKenzie is a solid enough defender, he is also a very competent passer of the ball and is no slouch. All attributes that could make him a very competent center half and left back. In many ways very similar to Considine. I remember back in the day that lots of people did not rate him and saw him as only a fill in full back or center half. Andrew turn out to be a bit of a fans favourite.  I'm not saying that Jack will turn out to be the same but he deserves the chance. We need to keep that pathway open to allow our own time to develop and progress. I would much rather see McKenzie given the opportunity than waist money on a squad filling journey man 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
3 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Logged on hoping to see a last minute defender had been brought in.

To go through to January with essentially two centre halves, one of whom can’t play against the Tims, is a big gamble. 

Ah well, here’s hoping for no injuries/suspensions to Stewart & Scales as there’s a knock on effect in making the midfield lightweight when McCrorie is shifted back there.  

I suppose there might be someone on the free transfer list that could be brought in, but not sounding likely from JG’s press conference yesterday. 

If the Motherwell game is anything to go by,  let’s see what happens when this defence are up against 11 men Sevco and Celtic. Hearts and Van deem again. 
or even little part time Annan Athletic. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.    

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, AyrshireSheep said:

I do think there will be a free agent centre half coming in. There needs to be. No way we can run with just Stewart and Scales. Dangerous tactic.

Do you mean a player who hasn’t had a club since the end of last season, or a player that was released from his contract late on in transfer window?