Celtic 2 - 0 Aberdeen

4 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

We know you and Thurso don't rate Goodwin and didn't want him as manager that's fair enough and everyone is entitled to have their own opinion.  But i think you are both being ridiculously quick to stick the knife and are already trying to get it lined up to leave him with multiple fatal stab wounds just so that you can say I told you so. Its almost like you want us to fail so you can look smug. 

We are a team in complete transition and its going to take time to time to gel them together. its not going to happen instantly and we are going to have to be patient and stick with them.

Just look at Celtic last season when they were trying to rebuild (and it should be said they had a stronger pool of players as a starting point) and they were also spending multiple millions of what we have spent and bring in a much higher quality class of player than we have, Yet in their first 7 fixtures they only 3 games. Through August and September they won a total of 10 points out of 21 including defeats from Livi and Hearts and a draw with Dundee Utd. 

They also got knocked out of champions league by a small Danish team, were beaten twice in Europe by smaller teams with lesser budgets from the Dutch and Hungarian leagues as well as pummeled by a German team.

The brainless idiots in their support were probably similar in the view of their manager as you guys are with JG and were hoping to get him booted out too. But those with sense and patience stuck with him, and gave him the time and support the team needed. Maybe you could try to do the same and just give the guys a chance to come together and just support them without the constant negativity and harsh criticism before we shoot them all down. 

Great post min 

12 minutes ago, thurso said:

It’s not the losing it’s the performance and tactics we played 

See when Celtic or rangers are beat its always how badly they played how they got tactics wrong and how there performance was rubbish which belittles to opposition who have often played out of their skin

We didnt play badly yesterday they just played really well

19 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

We know you and Thurso don't rate Goodwin and didn't want him as manager that's fair enough and everyone is entitled to have their own opinion.  But i think you are both being ridiculously quick to stick the knife and are already trying to get it lined up to leave him with multiple fatal stab wounds just so that you can say I told you so. Its almost like you want us to fail so you can look smug. 

We are a team in complete transition and its going to take time to time to gel them together. its not going to happen instantly and we are going to have to be patient and stick with them.

Just look at Celtic last season when they were trying to rebuild (and it should be said they had a stronger pool of players as a starting point) and they were also spending multiple millions of what we have spent and bring in a much higher quality class of player than we have, Yet in their first 7 league fixtures they won only 3 games. Through August and September they won a total of 10 points out of 21 including defeats from Livi and Hearts and a draw with Dundee Utd. 

They also got knocked out of champions league by a small Danish team, were beaten twice in Europe by smaller teams with lesser budgets from the Dutch and Hungarian leagues as well as pummeled by a German team.

The brainless idiots in their support were probably similar in the view of their manager as you guys are with JG and were hoping to get him booted out too. But those with sense and patience stuck with him, and gave him the time and support the team needed. Maybe you could try to do the same and just give the guys a chance to come together and just support them without the constant negativity and harsh criticism before we shoot them all down. 

The reality is that we couldn't have asked for a better run of games than the 5 (6 including Annan) that we now have upcoming. If the players that have been brought in (and those still to come) can gel, get fully fit and show some quality then we can hopefully pick up a decent amount of points from these and a place in the league cup quarter final.

We will need some sort of momentum going into the 5 games after these (Rangers, Hibs, Kilmarnock, Dundee United and Hearts) as theoretically these are going to be far tougher. It doesn't bear thinking about that we struggle in the next 5 games as going into the 5 after that on bad form could see us struggling at the wrong end again after the first round of fixtures.

I'm quietly hopeful for 10-12 points from the next 5 games.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Just look at Celtic last season when they were trying to rebuild (and it should be said they had a stronger pool of players as a starting point) and they were also spending multiple millions of what we have spent and bring in a much higher quality class of player than we have, Yet in their first 7 league fixtures they won only 3 games. Through August and September they won a total of 10 points out of 21 including defeats from Livi and Hearts and a draw with Dundee Utd. 

Brilliant post

Celtic evidently just miles ahead of us in terms of quality in their team, but what concerns me from yesterday is what we created going forward. I would still expect to create some decent chances during the game and I can only think of one moment that got me even a bit excited (The Hayes sitter). 

Hopefully it's just teething issues and we can push on starting this weekend. Heads up and lets gather some momentum early on in the season. We've got our first away game against the arse cheeks out the way, concentrate on beating the teams from 3-12th and try to take our chances when our free hit against the other two come along. 

2 hours ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

I will never stop getting behind the team or players, that’s for others on here who are already righting off some players on other threads.

Goodwin says the players arnt fit yet why were they not. Why were we not pressing high instead sitting in 40 yard from our goal letting their centre halfs and keeper have the ball who was up about the half way line to. That’s all in the tactics the manager set us up to play. 

10 minutes ago, thurso said:

Goodwin says the players arnt fit yet why were they not.

That alone if true is the most disturbing aspect of yesterday. Over a month of pre-season training,  training camp in Spain, a number of friendlies and 4 competitive League Cup games. 1 or 2 late arrivals maybe get a pass but no reason why the others shouldn't be fit for the opening league game.

2 hours ago, Bamber said:

See when Celtic or rangers are beat its always how badly they played how they got tactics wrong and how there performance was rubbish which belittles to opposition who have often played out of their skin

We didnt play badly yesterday they just played really well

TBH, the tone of the game was dictated as soon as we allowed them a free header from 4 yards in the 2nd minute. 

That knocked us right back on our heels and lifted Celtic. Took us almost 30 minutes to recover from that, and actually we did well to hang on by our fingernails and then spend 15 minutes looking like we might worry them a bit. 

The second half was really disappointing and while they didn't have quite as much space as they did in the first half, they were in total control. 

The game might have been different if we hadn't conceded so early. Our new players would have been able to play themselves into the game more easily. 

3 hours ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Goodwin had a shocker last season I think most will agree with that, even he admitted he was very disappointed with how last season went. However I said It would be a clean slate this coming season and tbh I quite like what he’s had to say and I think we look to have brought in some decent signings. Yes we finished 10th but we still only finished a handful of points behind 4th. We aren’t chasing down a 20 point deficit. As zero said we aren’t going to get a much better group of opening fixtures and I genuinely think we have a good chance of winning them all. I’m not going to stick the knife into anyone unless I think they deserve it. If we are sitting with 6 points after this run of games he will rightly get criticism from me and a number of people on here but I don’t think that will be the case. Id love nothing more than us to have an outstanding season under Goodwin and build on it the following season. I know it’s only 1 window but it’s basically his squad now he’s turned over so many players. Let’s take it 1 game at a time and see how it goes. 

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, thurso said:

I will never stop getting behind the team or players, that’s for others on here who are already righting off some players on other threads.

Goodwin says the players arnt fit yet why were they not. Why were we not pressing high instead sitting in 40 yard from our goal letting their centre halfs and keeper have the ball who was up about the half way line to. That’s all in the tactics the manager set us up to play. 

Does my absolute head in this. 

2 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

Thank fuck we played Celtic when they were still a bit rusty up front.

Kyogo could've had one and yon Greek boy missed two good chances as well.  

Kyogo misses plenty chances regardless of the time in the season. Great movement but he isn’t an amazing finisher. Usually better at scoring the harder ones.

50 minutes ago, thurso said:

The players aren’t all fully fit and you ask why we weren’t pressing high?

Are you a bit simple?

4 hours ago, NEM said:

Not a great performance yesterday but not unexpected.  Decent spell last 10-15 mins first half - Hayes really needs to be scoring that chance.

Not convinced by Richardson defensively.  Boy Coulson looks a player though, was impressed by him.  As has been said we're still a couple of quality players short - they both need to be big signings as opposed to punts.

Taking McRorie out of the midfield further highlights the ridiculousness of loaning players from them.  An abominable practice 

It also highlights how little cover we have at the back if we're struggling with one of the back 4 out. 

I used to cut McInnes a wee break as it did my head in that the Huns (when we played the openers against them) were clearly fitter than we were as well.  I accepted Derek did tend to bring a reasonable squad through the season injury free and usually finished fairly strongly.  Played the long game if you will.

Whether that was correct or not and not just my perception is another matter of course.

6 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I used to cut McInnes a wee break as it did my head in that the Huns (when we played the openers against them) were clearly fitter than we were as well.  I accepted Derek did tend to bring a reasonable squad through the season injury free and usually finished fairly strongly.  Played the long game if you will.

Whether that was correct or not and not just my perception is another matter of course.

Wouldn't say under McInnes we usually finished seasons strongly. If you take the last 10 games from his 8 seasons in charge (80 games) we won 33, drew 22 and lost 25. Pretty average really. In only 2 of those seasons did we win more games than we drew/lost.

5 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

Is fully fit an unreasonable expectation for the players at the start of the league campaign?

I wouldn't say so. But...

Bear in mind that a good chunk of those players haven't actually been in JGs control up until the last couple of weeks. It's fine saying we've had a month long pre-season, a trip to Spain and 4 league cups games to get the fitness up but a good chunk of our new additions weren't here for all of that and some were coming off longer periods of time away from actual matches. Add in that really none of them came from situations even remotely close to playing Celtic at Tattiedome and I think it can be excused. 

I won't start shitting myself until September.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

Is fully fit an unreasonable expectation for the players at the start of the league campaign?

Goodwin said in his post match interview that the players won't be up to a level of being able to press the game, trying to get possession back etc for 90 minutes yet.

That's the kind of fitness you don't get from playing lower league sides as we're usually in possession and knocking the ball about, rather than chasing shadows like we did vs Celtic. Which probably explains why it always looks like we're not as fit as the "old firm" in games, its more down to the pressing and possession. 

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

The players aren’t all fully fit and you ask why we weren’t pressing high?

Are you a bit simple?

We have played more competitive games than Celtic and they seemed a lot fitter than us and were pressing high. We should at least be as fit. There is no excuses on fitness 

• Upvote 1