Celtic 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Not going to get too despondent. It was always going to be a difficult one.  Even more so with a brand new team.   It’s easy to criticise players but Celtic are a very good team and will win the league at a canter this year.   You simply can’t press a team who have as much control on a game and have players significantly better than ours.  It wasn’t pretty to watch at times but I saw bits to certainly give me encouragement for the rest of the season.  We will learn and be a far  better team for the experience.  Next few games important.  

Why do we never press Celtic. Literally unchallenged up until our box we are defending. We did it against the huns last season at Ibrox, we should of won that game had it not been for ref, we looked tremendous for much of the game and best I’ve seen us play against either of the pricks for a long time. Always pisses me off their defenders dribbling to half way or further unchallenged. 

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Zeus said:

I see as usual a few are being written off based on a game vs Celtic away.

Deary me 

I do feel sorry for the bed sheets.

Practically brand new team playing their first league game together, away to by far the best team in the league.

Maybe we should err on the side of patience, and see how they get on in their second league match. ?

Of course, pitchforks oot if they dinna win next week!!! ?

7 minutes ago, CCB III said:

I'm not saying we won't be fine pal. 

Im saying a few players there were rabbit in the headlights and I expect better. 

I'll be worried should we struggle next week, but FFS today was bad. 

Ways to lose matches and today was as passive as anything we used to cry about under DMC.

Happy to move on quick but there are just criticisms from today. 

I’m not going to mark anyones card after todays game. Look at their bench, every single 1 of them would walk into our team. I am a little disappointed in how we set up but a goal after 2 minutes put a end of the game and out game plan. Hopefully lessons learned today from both the manager and players. It’s a tough ask bedding in a team of new players and playing against the best team in country. I’m trying not to make excuses but we need to gauge us on next week before getting too depressed! 

To me man if the match for the most influence is the ball boys - really well drilled and play their part in the game plan 

ball to their players is quickly thrown at head/chest height 20 or 30 yards and is immediately ready to go back into play keeping the pressure on they don’t wait for a full back it’s straight back into play. To us no more than 10 or 15 yards trundled along the ground. 

corners they don’t wait for a centre back to get forward no it’s in the quadrant ready to be payed immediately. Us wait for a player to arrive.  

goal kicks ball goes over the line into play as so as one goes out of play ours returned from the crowd. 

it’s actually really really good play a nd keeps pressure on continually. The ball boys are another player an 25 year old attacking midfielder for them a 35 year old central defender on his final warning with a dodgy knee  for us.  It’s those little advantages that grow to a big advantage as we saw in the first 25 we are constantly under pressure as even the ball boys play the plan

for us it was a free hit. Teams will suffer much worse than us - season starts next week Stewart reads the game superbly coulsen always an outball. We have too many who in most games don’t start till the 20th vinnie I’m looking at you - not just today but all season. 

am looking forward to next week which will give us a more accurate view

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, CCB III said:

You can't judge our season on it but compare it to the games last season. 

We actually looked better v them under Glass. Not to say I wish it was still him. 

Thought a Goodwin team would be more aggro and more determined. Game passed us by. 

On to next week 

We will never go into a game against Celtic or sevco and have a go at them under Goodwin. I don’t think it’s in his nature 

17 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

If Barron and/or Scales were available I think we would have managed a draw today.

After seeing that performance we'll be absolutely fine this season. We should be up there for third spot.

Stewart is brilliant in the air. Coulson looks like he is going to be a good signing. Roos looks so much more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Looking forward to our next match against St Mirren and I'm excited by our chances this season.

You must be taking the piss. I don’t think anything you are saying is right 

Realistically I doubt if anyone expected us to get a win or even a draw today. With Scales out and having to move McRorie to defence it was always going to upset our rhythm. Many positives from individuals in the team. Stewart is like the black William Miller and was immense in defence. The big downside for me was Polvara who was at fault for the goals. He needs to show some nastiness which may come if he was loaned out as I don’t see him ready to be pitched in to the first team yet.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, slippers said:

Why do we never press Celtic. Literally unchallenged up until our box we are defending. We did it against the huns last season at Ibrox, we should of won that game had it not been for ref, we looked tremendous for much of the game and best I’ve seen us play against either of the pricks for a long time. Always pisses me off their defenders dribbling to half way or further unchallenged. 

We did it last season at ibrox until Goodwin took over then it was the same tactics as today but worse performance 

19 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Few players done better than expected. Totally new team, midfield out numbered against best team in the league. 

This month is always about trying to get through it and make do until the squad is complete. It’s not done yet and that’s obvious with our lack of midfield today.

I just don’t think it’s worth getting in a state about.

I'm in no state. Expected to lose today. 

Our performance isn't without critique. 

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, slippers said:

This Celtic team in the mood they were in with their movement would have torn absolute shreds through the gaps we would have left as we tried to press.  They pas and move and one touch those passes to them   Pressing is silly stopping the movement is key and you will never do that by pressing. 

Us pressing we would have been looking at mcGoo score lines 

you will be able to count on 1 hand the teams with less than 2 goals against away at Celtic this season. And I include European teams in the count

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

If Barron and/or Scales were available I think we would have managed a draw today.

After seeing that performance we'll be absolutely fine this season. We should be up there for third spot.

Stewart is brilliant in the air. Coulson looks like he is going to be a good signing. Roos looks so much more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Looking forward to our next match against St Mirren and I'm excited by our chances this season.

Don’t think we were ever getting a result today based on what I saw.

Early to say but I think I’d agree with this based on blind hope. 

Seen nothing as yet to say Roos is a ball playing GK. Hardly hit a man in red today with his long balls. 

If we don’t beat them next week I’ll already start to worry. 

8 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

You love a Goodwin dig and always hint at Glass being competent.

Odd 

It’s not glass being competent it’s just I think Goodwin is not competent either. He says he wants us to be a high pressing team but sets us up to defend, it was commented we did that against sevco last season. I just pointed out we didn’t in the game we played them under Goodwin. 

3 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Baffles me why Celtic wouldn’t be willing to sell us Scales as  (other than the obvious good way to weaken us) they don’t need him & he will likely not get into their team really other than as back up 

Scales out was game plan for today - little gains everywhere makes one big change. That is their overall game plan. Would be unsurprised to find him our player after the window closes

not giving us scales was a much game plan as jota being outside the linesman and Taylor falling over when a red shirt is inside 5 yards

2 minutes ago, thurso said:

It’s not glass bring competent it’s I think Goodwin is not. He says he wants us to be a high pressing team but sets us up to defend, it was commented we did that against sevco l, I just pointed out we didn’t in the game we played them under Goodwin. 

We likely will be a high pressing team when we’re not playing teams far better than we are. If we went trying to press Celtic players all over the park we would have been utterly pumped today. 

• Upvote 2
36 minutes ago, Helmet said:

Other teams won't be facing Celtic first day of the season at parkhead as they launch their title defence.

Celtic were really up for that and have better players in every single position on the field and a settled line up and style of play with lots of proven options on the bench.

We on the other hand have a completely rebuilt side, with some fairly inexperienced players and lots of work to do to turn around a dreadful season last year.

We've played absolutely nobody who's any good in preparation for this game either- the league cup group games don't really prepare Premiership teams for the league start tbh.

A bit of patience is surely not too much to expect at this stage of a complete rebuild?

You are completely correct but why bother having patience when you can flood your entire house with pish, never mind just the bedsheets

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Few players done better than expected. Totally new team, midfield out numbered against best team in the league. 

This month is always about trying to get through it and make do until the squad is complete. It’s not done yet and that’s obvious with our lack of midfield today.

I just don’t think it’s worth getting in a state about.

100% correct 

23 minutes ago, thurso said:

We will never go into a game against Celtic or sevco and have a go at them under Goodwin. I don’t think it’s in his nature 

Based on what?

7 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

So instead of actually backing up your point this is the best you can do?

lol

I don't need to back up ny point. It was made clearly the first time.

You may not agree with it but frankly if you agree with anything then usually I find the post to be full of shite. 

Off you pop now like a good wee girl and annoy someone else.

10 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

A point at ibrox, wow. How about all the points we dropped to the teams we should be beating?

It was 3 points dropped at ibrox not 1 and it’s not about getting beat it was the manner of the loss we were set up to defend for a draw not go at them to win we played 90 mins and never had one shot never mind on goal 

25 minutes ago, thurso said:

We’ll look like we’re not having a go simply because we constantly gave up possession far too cheaply....sometimes due to Celtic’s work rate and hunting in packs , but far too often through unforced errors such as poor touch and misplaced or mishit passes. 

And , of course , on the odd occasion we made some progress up the park the ref sometimes did his bit to nip our attack in the bud by giving them a free kick for fuck all

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

That game came too early for this team as most predicted. 

Still a centre back and a central midfielder short as most also predicted. 

This team will improve as the weeks go on. 

The raw materials are there to build a beautiful building cunts'll visit for many, many years 

No shit in Dad's pants - confidence aplenty ?

11 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

We likely will be a high pressing team when we’re not playing teams far better than we are. If we went trying to press Celtic players all over the park we would have been utterly pumped today. 

We can. We have done it before but that’s the kind of performance that mccinnes was getting slaughtered for in his last few years. 

9 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

100% correct 

Based on what?

The 2 games Iv watched us play against Celtic and sevco under him so far, plus the ones he managed st mirren against them as well