Cal Roberts

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Devlin was flying that first 6 months at Aberdeen.  He and McKenna were starting to look like a brilliant partnership. 

Real shame he got that injury on Scotland duty. 

He showed enough to suggest he'd be Scotland's best defender if he stayed fit. Aggressive, good tackler, bit of pace, good in the air and also tidy on the ball. Arfield also shat it from him

• 3 months later...
Just now, Big Hat Logan said:

Again, how is it a Goodwin mistake if he got injured in his first game for us?

Do you think he would be being transferred to 6th, the 6th tier of English Football if he was any good.

I wanted him to do well. He is clearly not wanted. Exactly the ruthlessness I want to see from Robson. Good stuff.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Cos he should never have been signed in the 1st place. A gander at his previous injury record told you he was a massive risk.

It was an injury that occurred during the match, not some existing injury. 

2 minutes ago, Sheep Shagger said:

Do you think he would be being transferred to 6th, the 6th tier of English Football if he was any good.

I wanted him to do well. He is clearly not wanted. Exactly the ruthlessness I want to see from Robson. Good stuff.

After a serious injury that’s kept you out the game for almost a whole season then he’s hardly going to be back to his best. Plus I doubt many higher placed clubs look at signing a player with 3 appearances in the last season.

I know some people are blinded by hatred for Goodwin but this was not his fault. 

18 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Nothing weird about it, got an injury on his first appearance that fucked him for the entire time he’s been here. 

Signing a 25 year old who's highest level had been the national league when we have a European scouting strategy in places makes him weird for me - regardless of the injury.

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Signing a 25 year old who's highest level had been the national league when we have a European scouting strategy in places makes him weird for me - regardless of the injury.

Exactly. Didn't fit in with the so called strategy. Could understand the deviation away if it was a quality player, but not a 5th tier joe.

• Upvote 1

Ach, he was a 20-1 shot. Didn't cost much, probably wasnt being paid that much. He showed enough to a few scouts that he maybe had something a bit special/different and could maybe be a late bloomer- they do happen. Could easily have turned out to be a useful squad player.

Didn't work out.  Moved on. Move on 

• Upvote 3

Whether it was just bad luck or whether there's something in the fact that injury prone players are more prone to getting injured (who'd have thought) despite this seemingly not being a recurrence of a previous injury, this signing was an absolute disaster and will go up there with some of the worst. 

If there is any silver lining to come out of this one, hopefully it's that it has brought a conclusion to signing from the English lower leagues as a default method of recruitment. It raises serious questions of some in the higher echelons that this one was sanctioned, regardless of bad luck.

We will sign players from England and some will be success stories - Pollock and MacDonald for example - but this and others have to be a wake-up call that if we want to push on we have to keep striving to look further afield and not reverting to the sheer laziness of picking up non league flops.

Onwards and upwards.

• Dildo 1
21 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Sam Cosgrove hadn’t scored a senior goal until he signed for us and we made a very good profit on him. Roberts obviously had something about him, he was at Newcastle as a youth and certainly his previous clubs fans spoke highly of him. 

Duks only other senior club has been a reserve team lol 

11 minutes ago, Dandyesque said:

Ach, he was a 20-1 shot. Didn't cost much, probably wasnt being paid that much. He showed enough to a few scouts that he maybe had something a bit special/different and could maybe be a late bloomer- they do happen. Could easily have turned out to be a useful squad player.

Didn't work out.  Moved on. Move on 

Is the correct answer 

1 minute ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Sam Cosgrove hadn’t scored a senior goal until he signed for us and we made a very good profit on him. Roberts obviously had something about him, he was at Newcastle as a youth and certainly his previous clubs fans spoke highly of him. 

Duks only other senior club has been a reserve team lol 

Is the correct answer 

Sam Cosgrove also wasn't 25 years old at time of signing.