Hayden Coulson signs

Mason Hancock has joined Arbroath after all on loan for the season.He had almost joined Arbroath last month but stayed to play the League Cup matches and did quite well.It looks like new man Hayden Coulson will be first choice left back and go straight into the side at Celtic.A daunting task for any player.

34 minutes ago, graham said:

Mason Hancock has joined Arbroath after all on loan for the season.He had almost joined Arbroath last month but stayed to play the League Cup matches and did quite well.It looks like new man Hayden Coulson will be first choice left back and go straight into the side at Celtic.A daunting task for any player.

This is has completely surprised me. Hancock looked very iffy against Peterhead but showed a lot of good play against Raith. 

A total guess but has he gone out on loan to reduce the wage bill, if only slightly? 

3 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

This is has completely surprised me. Hancock looked very iffy against Peterhead but showed a lot of good play against Raith. 

A total guess but has he gone out on loan to reduce the wage bill, if only slightly? 

I don’t think it’s anything to do with the wage bill.

A week or two ago, Jim Goodwin was quoted as saying MacKenzie was ahead of Hancock physically & technically at the moment. 
That surprised me as I’d say technically MacKenzie is our worst option.

But it seems like JG will run with Coulson & MacKenzie as the left back options this season & both Hancock & Ngwenya are gaining experience at reasonably good clubs who aren’t far off Premier League standard.

I’d have personally swapped MacKenzie & Hancock, keeping Hancock. 

11 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

I doubt Arbroath are contributing anything to Hancock's wage. He's gone there purely to get regular game time at a decent level, far better for his development than sitting on our bench waiting for Coulson to pick up an injury/suspension and maybe getting the odd 10-15 minutes here and there as a sub. 

Both our young left backs are at Championship clubs on loan now, with Ngwenya at Raith. It's a couple of steps  up from the level they were both at last season so should provide a decent indicator as to if they'll be ready to challenge seriously next year for our starting spot.

20 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I don’t think it’s anything to do with the wage bill.

A week or two ago, Jim Goodwin was quoted as saying MacKenzie was ahead of Hancock physically & technically at the moment. 
That surprised me as I’d say technically MacKenzie is our worst option.

But it seems like JG will run with Coulson & MacKenzie as the left back options this season & both Hancock & Ngwenya are gaining experience at reasonably good clubs who aren’t far off Premier League standard.

I’d have personally swapped MacKenzie & Hancock, keeping Hancock. 

Agreed.

What is the back four (presuming) going to be come Sunday?

Richardson Stewart McCrorie Coulson

Seems like a hell of a gamble.

Just now, Dal Riata Don said:

Agreed.

Richardson Stewart McRorie Coulson

Coulson has not played any competitive football so it is a gamble. 
He’s being thrown in at the deep end & will be up against Jota, probably the toughest opponent he’ll face all season in his first game. 

I think Hancock has more potential than MacKenzie.

MacKenzie is quite limited going forward, always looks uncomfortable going forward & looks to go back or pass inside.

I suppose we just have to trust the manager. 

3 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I doubt Arbroath are contributing anything to Hancock's wage. He's gone there purely to get regular game time at a decent level, far better for his development than sitting on our bench waiting for Coulson to pick up an injury/suspension and maybe getting the odd 10-15 minutes here and there as a sub. 

Both our young left backs are at Championship clubs on loan now, with Ngwenya at Raith. It's a couple of steps  up from the level they were both at last season so should provide a decent indicator as to if they'll be ready to challenge seriously next year for our starting spot.

Thank you.

All good points of course but it seems like a hell of a gamble on Coulson who has never kicked a ball in a competitive game for us.

5 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

Agreed.

Richardson Stewart McRorie Coulson

Shows we are short at centre back and midfield with Scales and Barron out. 

Moving McCrorie weakens the midfield and the defence for Saturday 

5 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Coulson has not played any competitive football so it is a gamble. 
He’s being thrown in at the deep end & will be up against Jota, probably the toughest opponent he’ll face all season in his first game. 

I think Hancock has more potential than MacKenzie.

MacKenzie is quite limited going forward, always looks uncomfortable going forward & looks to go back or pass inside.

I suppose we just have to trust the manager. 

Good point, which I must bear in mind.

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It's tough to argue with that.

16 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

Agreed.

Richardson Stewart McCrorie Coulson

Not compared to last season 

Mackenzie Gallagher Bates Ramsay 

shocking defence and we only lost by 1 goal to them last season. Agreed that they haven’t had much time to settle in and gel but the clear out had to happen and glad it did.

29 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Exactly. With Barron out McCrorie needs to play in midfield on Sunday. We 100% need another central midfielder or two to beef up that area of the squad one or two injuries in that area and we don't have options other than inexperienced youngsters like Milne and Polvara.

10 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

Exactly. With Barron out McCrorie needs to play in midfield on Sunday. We 100% need another central midfielder or two to beef up that area of the squad one or two injuries in that area and we don't have options other than inexperienced youngsters like Milne and Polvara.

He won’t be playing midfield. ain’t happening. That’s why he was moved back into defence in second half against Raith. Wouldn’t have done that if he wasn’t playing centre back Sunday.

I think they will probably go for Hayes left back. Certainly at the start . Might switch it around depending how good or bad the game is going.