Hayden Coulson signs

1 minute ago, Durrant Dived said:

Goodwin saying it will get discussed end of season RE permanent deal and Middlesbrough in driving seat if they want to keep him. Sounds like Coulson would rather remain at them and would only consider us if he doesn't get a new deal. 

It's always been my suspicion. And that even if Middlesbrough don't offer him a new deal, his preference would be to join another club down south. 

I think he's a good left back, but not a great one. Definitely better going forward than as an out and out defender (opposite of MacKenzie really). However he does seem to be made of porcelain. Even has difficulty playing a full 90 minutes. Hasn't even made 100 first team appearances in total at Middlesbrough plus all his various loans aged 24 and a half.

I wouldn't be unhappy if, against the odds, he ends up with us on a permanent deal. But I'm sure there are plenty other left backs that will be available who are equally as good if not better so if it doesn't happen I wouldn't be broken hearted.

5 minutes ago, Joe pike said:

If he’s not signing we should move on and sign another left back.

No waiting about till he decides at the end of the season.

Let's fix the right hand side first during this window and then line someone up for the summer for the left hand side*

Some big decisions this summer at left back. We've got 4 home grown young players, 3 of which are on loan, who can play that position.  

I think Mackenzie has a future as a left sided centre back. Will be interesting to see what happens with the other 3.

*Catchy as a single by Musical Youth 

Coulson's got a fragility to him and from the sound of it, were he to join us on a permanent deal it'd be because we're his best, worst option. Been a decent addition to the team, but i'll be happy enough to thank him for his efforts and wish him well, if we part ways at the end of his loan spell. Would prefer we give an opportunity to one our own lads.

Along similar lines i'd like to see McKenzie given a chance at LCB. Scales has been decent, but wouldn't merit the fee we'd need to pay to make his loan deal permanent. I'd imagine Celtic would look to recoup the £500k they shelled out for him, which would be a significant outlay for any club outwith Glasgow. 

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Durrant Dived said:

Goodwin saying it will get discussed end of season RE permanent deal and Middlesbrough 

18 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

It's always been my suspicion. And that even if Middlesbrough don't offer him a new deal, his preference would be to join another club down south. 

18 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Don't think he's got any interest in signing for us permanently. 

It's either us, or some club in Gufftard land (as TC alludes to) way below Boro's level.

Absolutely zero hope in hell Middlesbrough are offering him a new contract.

26 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

It's either us, or some club in Gufftard land (as TC alludes to) way below Boro's level.

Absolutely zero hope in hell Middlesbrough are offering him a new contract.

He is a good footballer. But very fragile. I like him a lot but maybe if he does sign it will be as a sub type played. Or covering player for a regular getting injured.

11 minutes ago, Oregon Red said:

He is a good footballer. But very fragile. I like him a lot but maybe if he does sign it will be as a sub type played. Or covering player for a regular getting injured.

At Aberdeen? We don’t have anyone else near his level. Mackenzie is miles behind coulson and if we signed coulson we wouldn’t then sign a 3rd left back.

34 minutes ago, RUL said:

At Aberdeen? We don’t have anyone else near his level. Mackenzie is miles behind coulson and if we signed coulson we wouldn’t then sign a 3rd left back.

He is very good. But has problems with injury(more than most). I see him at national League North .with a 'what could have been" story.

It sucks but that's fitba

38 minutes ago, RUL said:

Historically, I've not been impressed with Mackenzie at all.
As documented in this very forum.

Have to admit tho, been quite impressed by his showings of late.*

*Disclaimer - may have been pished.

1 minute ago, Durrant Dived said:

Not sure if I saw this on here or FB but someone said surely 60-70 minutes of coulson every week because he isn't fit enough to play 90 is still better than 90 of MacKenzie and it is hard to argue with that.

Not if your tactics are to sit in deep and make no attempt to have any attacking threat.

As a pure defender, MacKenzie > Coulson.

But if you are actually trying to win the match then Coulson gets the nod every time. 

6 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Not sure if I saw this on here or FB but someone said surely 60-70 minutes of coulson every week because he isn't fit enough to play 90 is still better than 90 of MacKenzie and it is hard to argue with that.

Think that was me with those words of wisdom. I reckon in today's football when you have 5 subs to play with it's less important for someone to be able to play 90 minutes 50 times a season. If you had Coulson playing 65 mins and a promising young left back getting 25 mins a week you could argue it's the ideal situation for developing a youngster.

Anyone know how Ngwenya has been doing out on loan? We've got him, MacKenzie (who might end up a better CB than LWB) and also got Hayes who going forward is unlikely to be playing 90 mins, but could still give you a good 25-30 mins a week.