Leighton Clarkson

On 5/4/2023 at 10:21 AM, Durrant Dived said:

Whilst you might not want to/be able to pay 18k a week you should still be able to pay a bit more than you currently are - from that list the wages are quite low and not any of your own players on 5 figures a week. The championship is a bastard of a league to predict, I wish you all the best.

Just as we were talking about the EFL yesterday , have you seen the new TV deal?!! serious money coming in down here now if it wasn't before.  I have to say Sky have really fucked over scottish football.  well so has Neil Doncaster

27 minutes ago, englishred said:

Just as we were talking about the EFL yesterday , have you seen the new TV deal?!! serious money coming in down here now if it wasn't before.  I have to say Sky have really fucked over scottish football.  well so has Neil Doncaster

Longer-term that’ll mean it’ll be even harder for us to get near the wages of even a lot of League One clubs.

So, stop scouting there. 

3 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Longer-term that’ll mean it’ll be even harder for us to get near the wages of even a lot of League One clubs.

So, stop scouting there. 

Just been reading the full package and there will be over 1000 matches from the EFL on tv EVERY season compared to our 60.  Then comes the money £935m over 5 years down here compared to the SPFL £150m for SPFL

2 minutes ago, englishred said:

Just been reading the full package and there will be over 1000 matches from the EFL on tv EVERY season compared to our 60.  Then comes the money £935m over 5 years down here compared to the SPFL £150m for SPFL

Puts Neil Doncaster’s negotiating skills in to some perspective, & shows the utter contempt Sky have for Scottish football. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Puts Neil Doncaster’s negotiating skills in to some perspective, & shows the utter contempt Sky have for Scottish football. 

Not really

Shows the income available from subs in England compared to here 

It isn't difficult to understand 

Or do you think sky give England money for the hell of it?

29 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Is that money spread across all 72 EFL clubs though? 

Ours is only spread across 12 teams? 

The money we get from our TV deals is spread across the 42 teams via prize money but it is very much "trickle down".  SPFL winners get ££££££ and bottom of League Two gets a fiver, that type of distribution.

Just now, RabidGiraffe said:

The money we get from our TV deals is spread across the 42 teams via prize money but it is very much "trickle down".  SPFL winners get ££££££ and bottom of League Two gets a fiver, that type of distribution.

Aye. Will be interesting to see how the splits work in England. As sky show games from all 3 divisions in England you'd expect there to be lower drop offs than we have here. 

1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Watching dirt like Ipswich v Fleetwood and them getting more than Aberdeen v The Rangers etc is ridiculous though. 

Too late at night to write a long response, but there is a sound argument that Scottish viewers subsidise English football.  In it's most basic (and oversimplified) form, Scotland, being 10% of the UK population, pays 10% of Sky subscriptions in the UK, but Sky pays a fraction of that for SPFL TV rights.  If they paid the relevant percentage of subscription fees we'd be getting about £500million for our TV deals.  Like I said, that's the super simplified argument but our TV deals massively undervalue our game.  Doncaster etc are to blame because they are too focussed on the ugly bitches rather than the Scottish game as a whole.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Too late at night to write a long response, but there is a sound argument that Scottish viewers subsidise English football.  In it's most basic (and oversimplified) form, Scotland, being 10% of the UK population, pays 10% of Sky subscriptions in the UK, but Sky pays a fraction of that for SPFL TV rights.  If they paid the relevant percentage of subscription fees we'd be getting about £500million for our TV deals.  Like I said, that's the super simplified argument but our TV deals massively undervalue our game.  Doncaster etc are to blame because they are too focussed on the ugly bitches rather than the Scottish game as a whole.

Simple albeit regrettable fact is that very few Englanders are interested in Scottish games other than the Glasgow derbies. With that knowledge it's then hardly any wonder Sky can't be arsed throwing major bunce north of the wall. 

2 minutes ago, Roger Ramjet 62 said:

Disagree. Doesn't matter how many matches are on telly you'll always love the game.

The more you get the more you want it. 

Maybe for some but for me personally there's only so much football you can watch.  Especially when you have a family

23 minutes ago, Roger Ramjet 62 said:

Simple albeit regrettable fact is that very few Englanders are interested in Scottish games other than the Glasgow derbies. With that knowledge it's then hardly any wonder Sky can't be arsed throwing major bunce north of the wall. 

Aye, but similarly there's plenty Scotlanders that don't give a shit about the English game but are paying for/subsidising it.

Like the BBC with the licence fee money - Scotland represents 10% of the feepayers but the BBC spend much more on English football that Scottish - Gary Lineker's annual salary is more than they pay annually to Scottish football.  

I'm not saying the British media should give up heaps of unearned cash, just that they don't pay proportionally the amount we generate/represent.  If they did our game could be much improved.

• Upvote 8
1 hour ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Miller time's right though in essence it's a commercial driven decision- and Sky don't need to pay for and provide good coverage of Scottish football because they already have loads of subscribers up here. Basically all the people in Scotland paying Sky subscriptions to watch English football are fucking our game over.

39 minutes ago, Roger Ramjet 62 said:

That's missing the point really, no on is expecting them to pay over the odds because people in England will watch the Scottish game.

53 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

Why on earth would you subscribe to sky if you weren’t interested in English football. They show basically no Scottish football. I’ve never subscribed to sky because as far as I’m aware they’re ruining our game.

Exactly. I don't have Sky, there is not enough that I want to watch to justify the cost. 

Would rather spend the subscription cost taking my son to a few games than give the cash to Sky who almost never show games I want to see 

I've not had a Sky subscription for 20+ years now and never will again they are only interested in the ugly sisters. It's companies like Sky that kick started the huge financial chasm that now exists in football. (Champions League money massively widening the gap and billionaire / oil states owners just made the situation even worse). 

Realistically we just need to accept that Scottish football is not a product that will ever attract big tv money or sponsorship so financially we will always lag well behind even the mediocre English clubs. Scottish football is way too uncompetitive to make it an attractive proposition for broadcasters the 3rd place club regularly finishes a long way behind the top two.

Whether we like it or not the likes of Sky are only interested in Celtic and Sevco and non Scottish football fans are too. They have dominated for so long that generations of fans don't know anything other than their dominance which has massively diluted the appeal of the league. Also allowing plastic pitch shite like Livingston and Killie to play in the top league is a major own goal televised games at their grounds are embarrassing it makes the product here look so cheap. The Scottish Premier League should have a no grass pitch no entry policy.

• Upvote 2

Sky offered Scottish football money when they started the whole football thing in the early 90s. But, Ernie walker and Jim farry said ‘no, thanks’, and the rest is history. We might not have been getting the same money as the epl does at the moment, but we wouldn’t be so far behind if we’d taken the deal then. Backward thinking Scottish football at its best