Gigs 2023

1 hour ago, styrofoamplates said:

Yeah Melkweg is a decent venue. Saw The Wildhearts there a few years ago and saw Del Amitri last year. Heading there in two weeks time to see City and Colour. There does seem to be a lot of shite on there too though. Fuck it, I'll go tomorrow. 

That's it, fucking sold. I'm going. 

Full review please !

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Really,why? That’s what they do as arists. I used to work with this old  cunt who went to see Bowie during the ‘Hunky Dory’ tour. He was still moaning years later about Bowie playing new material. The new material was from the Ziggy Stardust album. 😂

I just don't want to hear that stuff! 

if a band has a few albums, I expect a broad range of stuff from across the back catalogue, not a chunk of stuff that's just out (or not even released). 

58 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I prefer it when if it’s a band I know well,and have seen a few times already, start diving into the back catalogue and play stuff they wouldn’t normally. Depends where you fall on the ‘fandom’ scale.

10 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

I just don't want to hear that stuff! 

if a band has a few albums, I expect a broad range of stuff from across the back catalogue, not a chunk of stuff that's just out (or not even released). 

I'm a bit worried about that with Therapy? now. Just checked their set list from Belgium a couple of nights ago and 10 out of the 20 songs they played were from their new album that came out in May. 

Listening to it now to try and familiarise myself. 

I'll just get pished and mouth the words to Diane to some young lady with a seductive stare. 

2 hours ago, styrofoamplates said:

I'm a bit worried about that with Therapy? now. Just checked their set list from Belgium a couple of nights ago and 10 out of the 20 songs they played were from their new album that came out in May. 

Listening to it now to try and familiarise myself. 

I'll just get pished and mouth the words to Diane to some young lady with a seductive stare. 

Oh whit?! That would worry me! My mate said it was a classics set list that they played when he saw them recently.

10 from a new album is far too many

39 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Oh whit?! That would worry me! My mate said it was a classics set list that they played when he saw them recently.

10 from a new album is far too many

Looking at what they played a few nights ago it was: 

10 from the new album

2 from Nurse

5 from Troublegum

2 from Infernal Love 

1 from Semi- Detached

1 from High Anxiety 

1 from Caucasian Psychosis

So 22 in total. 10 off the new album. Fucks sake. 

Only paid €24 for the ticket though, so can't complain.  

1 hour ago, Dad said:

Helmet did the album anniversary thing - played the whole record when the album turned 25 or summat.

That's a good idea sure 👍

They also did a 30th anniversary thing where they played 30 songs. Missed it...

theyre back this December though. Think I'll go this time 

On 10/6/2023 at 2:24 PM, Bad_Mobby said:

^ 6.5/10

Left, disinterested in the Joy Division encore 

Didn’t play Regret (which was regrettable)

Noticed they opened with it a few times. Cunts. Love that song. 

On 10/6/2023 at 10:33 PM, styrofoamplates said:

Debating whether to get a ticket to see Therapy? on Sunday night. Used to fucking love them back in the day and have never seen them live. 

Seen them at Moshulu or whatever it was called at the time. Was good being young, care free and hammering jagerbombs to some rock n roll. Gonna go the gym and put them on as a middled age man. 

Looking at what they played a few nights ago it was: 

10 from the new album

2 from Nurse

5 from Troublegum

2 from Infernal Love 

1 from Semi- Detached

1 from High Anxiety 

1 from Caucasian Psychosis

So 22 in total. 10 off the new album. Fucks sake. 

Only paid €24 for the ticket though, so can't complain.  

10 is far too much. That must be the new album in its entirety pretty much

2 hours ago, DD1903 said:

How were they?

They were absolutely brilliant. 

Played 24 songs, 8 of which were off the new album, but played a lot of classics too. 
Plenty of chat from Andy to the crowd, speaking about how much they love playing Amsterdam. 

Show was a sell out, so was a packed crowd. When they played 'Potato Junkie' during their encore, it was fucking magic hearing everyone shouting 'James Joyce is fucking my sister!' 

Really glad I went to see them. Personal favourites would have to be 'Stories' and 'Teethgrinder' fucking awesome live. 

• Thanks 1

They were absolutely brilliant. 

Played 24 songs, 8 of which were off the new album, but played a lot of classics too. 
Plenty of chat from Andy to the crowd, speaking about how much they love playing Amsterdam. 

Show was a sell out, so was a packed crowd. When they played 'Potato Junkie' during their encore, it was fucking magic hearing everyone shouting 'James Joyce is fucking my sister!' 

Really glad I went to see them. Personal favourites would have to be 'Stories' and 'Teethgrinder' fucking awesome live. 

Glad to hear it! 

teethgrinder is excellent live. Better than the album version

On 10/6/2023 at 11:22 AM, Clydeside_Sheep said:

A week from today its my annual AC/DC tribute act attendance (Livewire) which is always fantastic.  

Its at Glasgow Uni this time.

Was at this on Friday, it was excellent, as per.  The QM Union was a much better venue than the ropey Classic Grand. 

There was no fighting or missiles thrown at the band, clearly this was connected to the bad vibe at the Classic Grand and its proximity to the shady 'Four Corners' area.

£5.50 for a pint of Tennents quite pricey, but hey ho. No doubt the gig goers are subsidising those student layabouts.

Livewire are a really good show, though they used to have two vocalists, a Bon Scott and a Brian Johnston, and so could do both band eras well.  They seem to have lost the former though, that's two years its just been 'Brian' - though he can manage some songs from the Bon Scott era quite well.

The band seem like decent lads as well, always appreciate of folk coming to see them.

👍

1 hour ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

There was no fighting or missiles thrown at the band, clearly this was connected to the bad vibe at the Classic Grand and its proximity to the shady 'Four Corners' area.

👍

What does the proximity to the Four Corners have to do with anything? I'm pretty sure just about everyone that attended either bought a ticket in advance, or went into town specifically to see them. You think there's a bunch of scoundrels just hanging about on Argyle street with no plans, and just decide to hit the Classic Grand for a gig they need to pay to get into?