General Advice Corner

CCB III

5 hours ago, CCB III said:

Live in a block of flats. Quite a few young families about. Downstairs neighbours have two kids, the older one, who must be around 6/7 is constantly making noise. Feels like every time I'm chilling in my living room it's thump, thump, thump to the point where it's shaking the shelves. 

It's like the kid is doing laps up and down their fucking flat. The Dad is an acquaintance of mine in any case, but I'm not sure how to approach it.

Kids are kids, and you expect some amount of noise, but this crazy. I can't tell though, if it's me being a highly strung weirdo or if it's actually a reasonable complaint. My girlfriend gets annoyed with it too. 

The parents are nice folk, I just dunno how they aren't telling the kid to be quiet. 

I don't want to be so confrontational as to go knock on the door, and feel like I'd be a pussy if I sent a message. I've no idea what the response would be. 

If it was adults making heaps of noise, that would be one thing, but because it's a kid I feel like I can't say. 

Anyone ever dealt with this type of shit?

Get your trans and furry friends to hang about the landing. They’ll soon flit.

15 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I meant as a building.

There's no way the top floor of the high flats in Townhead are higher up than the top floor of the high flats in Maryhill.  Impossible, Maryhill must be about 200 ft more elevated at least. Trust me, I've cycled up and down Maryhill Rd into town a thousand times. You  can free wheel most of it on the way down, absolute mission on the way home, and it's 2 or 3 miles.

5 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Here, has anyone applied for a passport recently? And if so, how long did it take to get it sent and back?

Going away in April and can't find my current one for the life of me. 

I did supposed to take up to 12 weeks, was in a similar situation to you but it came in 10. 

And that was with fast track at the post office.

13 hours ago, milne_afc said:

Sounds like this could escalate.

I used to know a couple who had an autistic child, not one of the clever ones, he was a gigantic eating machine. Anyway, he had the mental development of a large dog. He had the run of the house 24/7 and kept his own hours, stomping around the house and breaking into the fridge every time he felt the need to graze. His parents were a pair of feckless, workshy, benefit scroungers. They and the people around them carry that burden, much more could have been done to control the young lad and make sure he was ready when the school transport arrived and build some routine into his life.

^^^
text that to your neighbours. It’s a true story.

13 hours ago, milne_afc said:

Kick him in. He’ll only get bigger and stronger then he’ll have the upper hand.

Two posts which, true or not, evidence why @milne_afc is POTY. 

13 hours ago, Don Fonte said:

They're your downstairs neighbours? That's some racket he must be making if your shelves are shaking.

Anyway, just act like an adult Consi min. You come across as an articulate and decent lad. Just give him a call and explain the situation.  He's probably oblivious to the fact they're disturbing you so much, especially as they're downstairs.

Sounds like the flat's soundproofing is shite so for all you know when you're walking about your flat it could sound like an elephant stomping around for the family below you.

Even approach it by explaining your situation and also asking if noise from you disturbs him, and if there is anything you can do better to limit the noise they hear.

This is the advice I'd go with. Does sound like if you're getting the noise coming up the way they'll maybe be getting it coming down the way too. 

Approach it from that angle and ask if he gets a lot of noise coming from you, as you can hear it coming up the way. Blame it on the builders or the landlord. Anybody but outright saying the autistic child is causing you grief!

9 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Here, has anyone applied for a passport recently? And if so, how long did it take to get it sent and back?

Got mine back in about 10 days when I renewed in Nov/Dec time, but I had my old one to send back.

If you pay a little extra the post office will do everything for you.  They take your photo on a tablet etc and fill in the form for you on it.  Not sure if it'll be the same as yours is lost.

16 minutes ago, CCB III said:

FWIW they seem to have the bits and pieces for the passports that were somehow lacking a year ago. 

wait time for passports is just down to the usual incompetence of the issuing authorities now 

8 minutes ago, Don Fonte said:

Got mine back in about 10 days when I renewed in Nov/Dec time, but I had my old one to send back.

If you pay a little extra the post office will do everything for you.  They take your photo on a tablet etc and fill in the form for you on it.  Not sure if it'll be the same as yours is lost.

Your sincerity is touching, Don. 

Long may it continue. 

12 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Your sincerity is touching, Don. 

Long may it continue. 

It's called digital check & send. Just had a look and it's actually cheaper than filling in the form and providing photos yourself.  Looks like they'll then email your contact to confirm it's you in the photo rather than having a physical countersigned photo.

Available at Union St or Berryden in Aberdeen. No appointment necessary.

And don't bank on it, normal service will be resumed I'm sure.

2 minutes ago, Don Fonte said:

It's called digital check & send. Just had a look and it's actually cheaper than filling in the form and providing photos yourself.  Looks like they'll then email your contact to confirm it's you in the photo rather than having a physical countersigned photo.

Available at Union St or Berryden in Aberdeen. No appointment necessary.

And don't bank on it, normal service will be resumed I'm sure.

Fabulous. 

42 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Shit. Right, I'll have to get on it, cheers!

And also watch what you are doing with the photos. Firstly the guy who signed the photo did it over the border on the back and as they have to snip them they wouldn’t accept it. Then when I got a new one resigned he put the date he signed it on down and the fuck wits wouldn’t take it as it wasn’t the same date as the original form!

Christ almighty in this day and age you would think they could just fire your name into a database and it would come up if you were a wanted fugitive or some shit and if not take your cash and process it.

5 minutes ago, Fridge said:

And also watch what you are doing with the photos. Firstly the guy who signed the photo did it over the border on the back and as they have to snip them they wouldn’t accept it. Then when I got a new one resigned he put the date he signed it on down and the fuck wits wouldn’t take it as it wasn’t the same date as the original form!

Christ almighty in this day and age you would think they could just fire your name into a database and it would come up if you were a wanted fugitive or some shit and if not take your cash and process it.

They can fridge son - just with you specifically, they dinnae 👍

8 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Yeah, it is a fairly convoluted process for something so administrative. 

Cheers min.