General Advice Corner

CCB III

38 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Dig a hole in the middle of a forest or woods, dispose of it in newly-created hole, and cover the hole with the muck you've just dug up, along with a sprinkling of fresh topsoil. 

Alternatively, acquire an oil drum (preferably empty😄) and transport it to a forest or wood away from sniffers and curtain-twitchers. Place asbestos in the drum along with paper, plastic, and kindles for added effect and neutralisation of asbestos smell and effects, and proceed to set alight. Job done.

You sound experienced. Do you do homers?

10 minutes ago, dave_min said:

You sound experienced. Do you do homers?

😄😄.

No min. It is knowledge I picked up whilst working for SEPA.

Grasses/anonymous callers would phone in (I was the first point of contact) snitching on either a former employer, someone they had falling out with, or trying to be a noble citizen when seeing a fire in an unusual place. 

A good lot of the snitching involved the disposal of asbestos, upon investigation.😉

Anyone on here got or looking into getting solar panels, with battery storage and possibly air source heat pump? 

With my wife working from the garage as a dog groomer, our electricity bills  are ridiculous, so looking at ways to reduce costs. 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

7 hours ago, Iraq_Red said:

Anyone on here got or looking into getting solar panels, with battery storage and possibly air source heat pump? 

With my wife working from the garage as a dog groomer, our electricity bills  are ridiculous, so looking at ways to reduce costs. 

I didn't think they bothered with shit like grooming dogs in Iraq. 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Iraq_Red said:

@The Boofonlooked into this a while back. I know someone who did it and was boasting of how much they’d save etc…turns out…Not worth the initial outlay.

8 hours ago, Iraq_Red said:

Get your wife to become a hooker instead 

I'm a bit late to the party @CCB III

I used to own and live in an ex council flat. Top floor, six in a block. Three council tenants, three private owners. Wasn't the best of areas but bought it during the peak of the market and was the best I could afford. Had a great first three years there and got on with all the neighbours. It became apparent early on that the flat wasn't the best in terms of soundproofing but as long as you weren't making excessive noise at silly hours then it was fine. Couple of occasions I had after town parties and apologised to the neighbours, particularly the poor bus driver on the ground floor who didn't get a wink of sleep. Still feel bad about that! I'd usually give the neighbours advance notice of any parties or works being done to my flat to avoid any agro after the fact.

It started going downhill when the pleasant neighbour below me went into sheltered accommodation and the council put a 40 something year old female in who was fleeing an abusive ex partner. First I noticed of an issue was when I was getting ready for work one morning and I kept hearing someone yelling "shut the fuck up" and just generally screaming. Surely I'm not causing her distress at 8am? No music on and the worst I'd be doing would be taking a shower, opening and closing a wardrobe and a couple of drawers, then closing and locking my door. This was the case almost every morning and doubly so when I'd have company over.

I'd come home from work at 5.30 and she would be in the middle of a domestic with someone in the flat or on the phone and this would continue for several hours. I could hear her over the TV. Fairly stressful to be constantly hearing screaming and yelling for hours on end, often until the small hours. I'd call the police, email the council, contacted my local MSP. Nothing was done.

She was the middle flat and the property was completely unsuitable for someone was mental issues if she was bothered by folk going about their business above and below her. She basically demanded complete silence when she was sleeping between 6am and 5pm but was the loudest most inconsiderate evil person the rest of the time. Heck I couldn't hoover in the afternoon for fear of her banging on the ceiling and having a breakdown. The intercom buzzer would go in my flat and that would trigger world war 3. Almost literally walking on eggshells whenever I'd get up for work etc. Sudden bangs and slams would cause my flat to shake. It's quite unpleasant, particularly at 4am on Wednesday, even with earplugs in. 

Then the council put a young couple with a baby in the top floor flat across from me. A one bedroom flat. Fuck right off. They would put their rubbish bags in the landing outside their door until they piled up and stunk up the place. At one point there was an old sofa, several rubbish bags and three shopping trolleys restricting access to my flat. Initially I spoke to them but when that didn't work I complained to the council. They got their revenge by kicking my door in one night. Thankfully they didn't get into the flat and I was out at the time. Boy actually told me he did it then denied it to the police later on, obviously. He was having a party on the night in question and conveniently no one in attendance saw who did it not did any of the neighbours. I'm glad I wasn't home that night.

Then they put a prostitute in the other ground floor flat resulting in randoms hanging about the block all times of the day and night. Frequently smashed communal windows and doors. The day the council tried to bill the private owners to replace a communal window when all her flat windows were smashed too was a mega lolz moment. One of her clients also took a shit in the hallway. Classy.

I got the last laugh by selling my flat to the Council as part of the buy back scheme but it was three really good years followed by three years of hell once psycho et al moved in. I really hope they stuck a couple with a toddler in my old place. Then psycho would really know what noise is. Ironically that would probably prompt her to seak alternative digs. Perhaps I was far too pleasant a neighbour. All these changes in the block happened within short order.

My advice would be to look for something else, particularly if you private rent. You're not going to get anywhere with the council or any housing association. Make sure your next place is sufficiently soundproofed and check out who your neighbours are. You're never going to get complete silence in a block of flats obviously but the place I'm in now is like night and day. The neighbours are spot on, lovely neighbourhood and a properly built block with little noise.

36 minutes ago, Howard Marks said:

I'm a bit late to the party @CCB III

I used to own and live in an ex council flat. Top floor, six in a block. Three council tenants, three private owners. Wasn't the best of areas but bought it during the peak of the market and was the best I could afford. Had a great first three years there and got on with all the neighbours. It became apparent early on that the flat wasn't the best in terms of soundproofing but as long as you weren't making excessive noise at silly hours then it was fine. Couple of occasions I had after town parties and apologised to the neighbours, particularly the poor bus driver on the ground floor who didn't get a wink of sleep. Still feel bad about that! I'd usually give the neighbours advance notice of any parties or works being done to my flat to avoid any agro after the fact.

It started going downhill when the pleasant neighbour below me went into sheltered accommodation and the council put a 40 something year old female in who was fleeing an abusive ex partner. First I noticed of an issue was when I was getting ready for work one morning and I kept hearing someone yelling "shut the fuck up" and just generally screaming. Surely I'm not causing her distress at 8am? No music on and the worst I'd be doing would be taking a shower, opening and closing a wardrobe and a couple of drawers, then closing and locking my door. This was the case almost every morning and doubly so when I'd have company over.

I'd come home from work at 5.30 and she would be in the middle of a domestic with someone in the flat or on the phone and this would continue for several hours. I could hear her over the TV. Fairly stressful to be constantly hearing screaming and yelling for hours on end, often until the small hours. I'd call the police, email the council, contacted my local MSP. Nothing was done.

She was the middle flat and the property was completely unsuitable for someone was mental issues if she was bothered by folk going about their business above and below her. She basically demanded complete silence when she was sleeping between 6am and 5pm but was the loudest most inconsiderate evil person the rest of the time. Heck I couldn't hoover in the afternoon for fear of her banging on the ceiling and having a breakdown. The intercom buzzer would go in my flat and that would trigger world war 3. Almost literally walking on eggshells whenever I'd get up for work etc. Sudden bangs and slams would cause my flat to shake. It's quite unpleasant, particularly at 4am on Wednesday, even with earplugs in. 

Then the council put a young couple with a baby in the top floor flat across from me. A one bedroom flat. Fuck right off. They would put their rubbish bags in the landing outside their door until they piled up and stunk up the place. At one point there was an old sofa, several rubbish bags and three shopping trolleys restricting access to my flat. Initially I spoke to them but when that didn't work I complained to the council. They got their revenge by kicking my door in one night. Thankfully they didn't get into the flat and I was out at the time. Boy actually told me he did it then denied it to the police later on, obviously. He was having a party on the night in question and conveniently no one in attendance saw who did it not did any of the neighbours. I'm glad I wasn't home that night.

Then they put a prostitute in the other ground floor flat resulting in randoms hanging about the block all times of the day and night. Frequently smashed communal windows and doors. The day the council tried to bill the private owners to replace a communal window when all her flat windows were smashed too was a mega lolz moment. One of her clients also took a shit in the hallway. Classy.

I got the last laugh by selling my flat to the Council as part of the buy back scheme but it was three really good years followed by three years of hell once psycho et al moved in. I really hope they stuck a couple with a toddler in my old place. Then psycho would really know what noise is. Ironically that would probably prompt her to seak alternative digs. Perhaps I was far too pleasant a neighbour. All these changes in the block happened within short order.

My advice would be to look for something else, particularly if you private rent. You're not going to get anywhere with the council or any housing association. Make sure your next place is sufficiently soundproofed and check out who your neighbours are. You're never going to get complete silence in a block of flats obviously but the place I'm in now is like night and day. The neighbours are spot on, lovely neighbourhood and a properly built block with little noise.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Iraq_Red said:

Yep, paid for themselves in no time. They generate more than we can use.

our dog groomer works from her garage. She has a fantastic arse and wears tight shorts. 

18 hours ago, Iraq_Red said:

Solar panels - initial outlay plus keich tariffs means pay back period is longer than the 10 year life span of the panels

Air source - worth it new build properties, not worth it retrofitting into existing or old properties

If working from the garage more cost effective to insulate the garage, including the roof (build timber frame garage inside existing garage and insulate that if you have the room)

Good luck, bills are horrendously high, can’t see them going down any time soon

19 minutes ago, sigh said:

Solar panels - initial outlay plus keich tariffs means pay back period is longer than the 10 year life span of the panels

Air source - worth it new build properties, not worth it retrofitting into existing or old properties

If working from the garage more cost effective to insulate the garage, including the roof (build timber frame garage inside existing garage and insulate that if you have the room)

Good luck, bills are horrendously high, can’t see them going down any time soon

Why have they only got a 10 year lifespan, mine are guaranteed for 25 years.

Energy crisis LOL

6 minutes ago, BrianFaePerth said:

Why have they only got a 10 year lifespan, mine are guaranteed for 25 years.

Energy crisis LOL

Effective lifespan - performance goes down, they may last for 25 years but not as effective after 10 years

Anyway, FTH