General Advice Corner

CCB III

24 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

It is a long term investment however the hardware is a lot more efficient these days and less expensive. 

It’s not worked out as much of an investment. They were sucked in by the hype at the time, and would have been better firing the cash in a pish poor savings account

2 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I’ve got a wee solar panel on top of my shed that powers a light. It’s fucking tremendous. I was looking at getting a panel for my bike to power my phone and lights whilst I’m cycling.

It’s the future. Free energy. I’ve thought about making some sort of wee wind turbine for the bike as well but not sure how viable that is. 

Just wait until they can convert shit posts into energy. You’ll be set for life.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I’ve got a wee solar panel on top of my shed that powers a light. It’s fucking tremendous. I was looking at getting a panel for my bike to power my phone and lights whilst I’m cycling.

It’s the future. Free energy. I’ve thought about making some sort of wee wind turbine for the bike as well but not sure how viable that is. 

It's not free, you have to pay for the equipment and installation. 

I had a quick look at putting some on my roof, but the breakeven time was more than 10 years. Worked out that I'd be better off doing something else with the money (interest or shares). 

24 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

It's not free, you have to pay for the equipment and installation. 

I had a quick look at putting some on my roof, but the breakeven time was more than 10 years. Worked out that I'd be better off doing something else with the money (interest or shares). 

Wtf are they charging? We’d broke even in under a year. Yes it’s sunnier here but even on overcast days in winter we still generate enough to get by on.

6 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

How much do you pay per year on electricity compared to pre solar set up? 

About 70% less. Obvs air-con and lighting at night still cost. Have considered a Tesla wall but they’re investing in community batteries here where solar is stored and bought back at night. Eh would then expect better savings.

Solar energy is not free.

You have the initial installation of all the hardware. You have annual maintenance costs to ensure the ongoing safety of the electrical components and then you have the cost of running the inverter converting the generated power from dc to ac.

If your system has a payback of say 10 years, that is not taking into consideration if any components fail and need replaced in that time. If your inverter fails and you have to pay for a replacement, it would set you back years in terms of the payback figures.

Just now, Reed or deed said:

Solar energy is not free.

You have the initial installation of all the hardware. You have annual maintenance costs to ensure the ongoing safety of the electrical components and then you have the cost of the inverter converting the energy from ac to dc.

If your system has a payback of say 10 years, that is not taking into consideration if any components fail and need replaced in that time. If your inverter fails and you have to pay for a replacement, it would set you back years in terms of the payback figures.

Eh? What maintenance? Fling them on the roof and forget about them.

If something fails, you’ve got a warranty.

2 minutes ago, BrianFaePerth said:

Eh? What maintenance? Fling them on the roof and forget about them.

If something fails, you’ve got a warranty.

Cleaning the panels and safety certificating the electrical installation inside.

All electrical installations should be inspected, tested for safety and certificated at regular intervals.

1 minute ago, Reed or deed said:

Cleaning the panels and safety certificating the electrical installation inside.

All electrical installations should be inspected, tested for safety and certificated at regular intervals.

Not in Straya, which has a little more experience with solar. Sounds like they’re conning you.

3 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

That’s what we’ve been told we could save ,70-75%.Can you sell back to the power companies in the summer months? 

We pay 28 cents a KWH here. Day or night. It’s fixed.

We sell to the grid at 7 cents a KWH. 

WA has a huge problem on days that are sunny but not hot. The grid is constantly in danger of being overloaded with unused solar.

Just now, manboobs109 said:

Who can be fucked putting solar panels in. 

The hassle involved surely outweighs any benefits.

Exactly fuck that, although I’m thinking of getting a wind power generator in my garden. That must be a winner, if the weather is nice just hire some Polish cunt to spin it round.

Or I’ll maybe just pay my bills like everyone else.

3 hours ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

are you no hooked up to the free grid ?

its like IPTV, but for energy

i pay a tenner a month

Ive got the credit card version.

£30 a month subscription tied in for the next ten years gives me 5 grand a month to play with. Nae bad like

www.freedosh.com 

On 5/7/2023 at 2:16 PM, Iraq_Red said:

Anyone on here got or looking into getting solar panels, with battery storage and possibly air source heat pump? 

With my wife working from the garage as a dog groomer, our electricity bills  are ridiculous, so looking at ways to reduce costs. 

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Not sure if already been said, but canna be arsed reading through the last few pages.

Air source heat pump - got one of those and its hooring expensive to run. The costs were really noticeable over the winter  months give the jump in price of electricity. Now the price of Heating Oil has dropped I am considering disconnecting the air source and just relying on Heating oil.

My opinion - avoid it.