Alan Burrows

35 minutes ago, slippers said:

The club must know that this is in danger of becoming an absolute disaster season ticket wise. If I’m honest though I hadn’t actually realised how little season tickets actually amaz too. Every 1000 is worth 150-200k so even if we do sell 3k less this terms it’s only 600k lost. Which in football terms is fuck all especially when we could well take in 10m plus this summer through player sales. The big fear is that the bojan fee and Ferguson clause is used to keep us on an even keel instead of pushing the club forward. It’s a bit like the 4m McKenna fee plugging covid. Absolutely sickening. Atleast with covid it was a complete freak result. This time round it’s completely our own doing. The return on investment has been absolutly dreadful. 

This Badlan guy needs to get an awful lot right straight away to drag us out the shithole we are currently in. And squandering £10m ish of proceeds on more duds like Richardson, Morris, Gueye etc would set us back years and years

25 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

This Badlan guy needs to get an awful lot right straight away to drag us out the shithole we are currently in. And squandering £10m ish of proceeds on more duds like Richardson, Morris, Gueye etc would set us back years and years

If we continue in the current form it gets tougher for us to recruit a manager and players. Hardly selling the club at this moment in time. 

2 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

I'm not sure it's possible to be set back years and years in Scotland.

One decent window and you're challenging for Europe, 2 decent windows and you're 3rd.

Hearts are a prime example. Coasting 3rd but nothing special.

3 minutes ago, Dandyesque said:

One decent window and you're challenging for Europe, 2 decent windows and you're 3rd.

It's even easier than that.  Winning 2 or 3 games in a row in Scotland will generally move you easily into the top half of the table. 

You can be pretty shite for 2/3 of the season, but if you string a winning run together as we did in the last third of last season, you'll get a European place. 

I'm not sure how it works in The Championship, it seems to be a more difficult league than the Premiership. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Dandyesque said:

It's a very good point but if you want to be consistently at the top end of the league you need to be generally making the right decisions in recruitment year on year. You need the right team and you need to know they'll be in it for the long haul. 3rd head of recruitment in as many years is not it.

29 minutes ago, ahead on alphabet said:

It's a very good point but if you want to be consistently at the top end of the league you need to be generally making the right decisions in recruitment year on year. You need the right team and you need to know they'll be in it for the long haul. 3rd head of recruitment in as many years is not it.

I don't disagree with that, but it's not like we need a while new first XI next season, we just need ensure we get the right 3 or 4 in. 

Losing Ramadani and McCrorie and not replacing their physicality was criminal.

13 minutes ago, Dandyesque said:

I don't disagree with that, but it's not like we need a while new first XI next season, we just need ensure we get the right 3 or 4 in. 

Losing Ramadani and McCrorie and not replacing their physicality was criminal.

More than 3 or 4. We will need at least 2 wide attacking players to start with and a keeper and likely a new striker so there's 4 without looking at the defence and midfield.

4 hours ago, slippers said:

As I said previously that’s why our latest head of recruitment left for Leeds. Was constantly being undermined. 

I assume it’s the same with most influential people at the club and 1 of the reasons I have stuck up for Gunn. While his position is untenable now it’s not helped if he’s been overruled by our chairman who dosnt have a clue. Again I’ve got that on good authority that Dave is way out of depth when it comes to the football side of things. I’m sure that comes as no surprise. 

Ultimately if Dave puts money into club and is chairman he can do what the fuck he wants but surely comes a point where he has to take a step back and say I need to leave it to the experts. I mean why the fuck have we got a house builder and a player from the 80s helping our DOF with managerial appointments. It’s absolutely ridiculous. 

That point was back when he got rid of McInnes and there’s been several chances for him to do it since. This review surely must be where the penny finally drops, if not then there could well be a relegation looming in the not too distant future. 

I’d imagine the sum of Milne’s input towards the new manager discussion is “bring back Derek”. Which is probably of more worth than whatever Garner brings to the table.

16 minutes ago, ahead on alphabet said:

More than 3 or 4. We will need at least 2 wide attacking players to start with and a keeper and likely a new striker so there's 4 without looking at the defence and midfield.

We'll need more than 3 or 4 players, but they don't all have to have a leader's mentality or a high level of physicality was my point. A strong spine is needed though. We might already have a few here - Ruby for example.

I'm not sure how much Burrows is involved in recruitment, but if we want to discuss that subject then it's a fact that last summer was a constant procession of bizarre fuck ups by the club. 

Ramadani being allowed to leave, then not replaced. 

Positions that we desperately needed filled...centre back and wide players....either being poorly recruited or not recruited at all. 

An apparent complacency that recruitment didn't need to be done until the last day of August....this 'quality over quantity' shite....that meant that we effectively looked upon the 5 or so games in August as unimportant. Right from the off, the 1st game against Livi, we looked hopelessly shite. And it never got better. 

The utterly bizarre signings of Williams, Dadia, and laterly Papa Thingy.

I still have no idea who at the club takes responsibility for our signing policy and choices. I don't know if it's been Robson, Gunn, Burrows, Cormack, a combination of all 4, or this mysterious 'Football managment board'. 

It's just a muddled fuck up. Certainly the worst summer recruitment since McGhee was at the club, and given the circumstances that we had a great opportunity in Europe, maybe the worst ever. 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

I'm not sure how much Burrows is involved in recruitment, but if we want to discuss that subject then it's a fact that last summer was a constant procession of bizarre fuck ups by the club. 

Positions that we desperately needed filled...centre back and wide players....either being poorly recruited or not recruited at all. 

An apparent complacency that recruitment didn't need to be done until the last day of August....this 'quality over quantity' shite....that meant that we effectively looked upon the 5 or so games in August as unimportant. Right from the off, the 1st game against Livi, we looked hopelessly shite. And it never got better. 

I still have no idea who at the club takes responsibility for our signing policy and choices. I don't know if it's been Robson, Gunn, Burrows, Cormack, a combination of all 4, or this mysterious 'Football managment board'. 

It's just a muddled fuck up. Certainly the worst summer recruitment since McGhee was at the club, and given the circumstances that we had a great opportunity in Europe, maybe the worst ever. 

You highlight a number of very valid issues.

17 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

Tbh it looks like the signings came from Cormack researching the Internet...could be wrong of course..

In my opinion (which is worth feck all) you need to go back to more of an old fashioned scouting network and system instead of relying on data based analysis.

Find the rough diamonds that can be coached into becoming accomplished players. Not sign someone because the data said they're quick and ran X miles.

15 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

In my opinion (which is worth feck all) you need to go back to more of an old fashioned scouting network and system instead of relying on data based analysis.

Find the rough diamonds that can be coached into becoming accomplished players. Not sign someone because the data said they're quick and ran X miles.

I know someone who sometime ago was very heavily involved in player recruitment. 

Back then they signed footballers and attempted to add athleticism. He reckons that nowadays they sign athletes and try to make them footballers.

Clearly doesn't work in the most part.

18 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Surely it should be a combination of the two.

Use the data to produce a list of alternatives.

THEN, your scouts look at the players in games over a period of time. 

6 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No he can't.   

And if he thinks he can it wouldn't take much of a stand by the support to remind him. 

A few thousand people holding firm on not renewing during the start of the 'early bird' season ticket renewal period and he would shit himself. 

We can break him easily if it comes to that. His skin is too thin to risk becoming the enemy of the fans. 

You've obviously got a chip on your shoulder about Cormack. Is it because he's successful? It's ridiculous to be blaming Cormack for picking the signings. It's not so long ago he was being slaughtered for allowing Goodwin "carte blanche' as Goodwin put it to sign who he wanted and play who he wanted and run everything the way he wanted. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

You've obviously got a chip on your shoulder about Cormack. Is it because he's successful? It's ridiculous to be blaming Cormack for picking the signings. It's not so long ago he was being slaughtered for allowing Goodwin "carte blanche' as Goodwin put it to sign who he wanted and play who he wanted and run everything the way he wanted. 

He might be a success in his businesses but he is not successful in the one that matters to me - Aberdeen Football Club.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Agree. 

For me the focus should be predominantly on signing players who have done well in the spfl. There must be at least one from each team out with the OF that would enhance our squad. 

No more players from the 4th tier of English football. You just end up paying a premium price for utter dross. 

A couple of overseas based players max. 

We have it the wrong way around just now where our first instinct is to buy unknown foreign then lower league English unknown then finally some players with actual experience of our league. 

7 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

I would suggest that it's more because from the day he set foot in the club, and decided he was the messiah and his job was to appease the fuckwits by sacking McInnes and promising them the earth, he's made a series of utterly cack decisions which has led to the point that we're at now. 

Just a suggestion.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

That's what they do. We can't afford permanent scouts to cover all the markets so data and Wyscout etc footage helps focus search before physically scouting. How we found Miovski when physically watching Ramadani or other way round

20 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

I would suggest that it's more because from the day he set foot in the club, and decided he was the messiah and his job was to appease the fuckwits by sacking McInnes and promising them the earth, he's made a series of utterly cack decisions which has led to the point that we're at now. 

Just a suggestion.

So you think it was wrong for McInnes to leave?

1 minute ago, RDS said:

That's what they do. We can't afford permanent scouts to cover all the markets so data helps focus search before physically scouting. How we found Miovski when physically watching Ramadani or other way round

Which is fine….

But it begs one question.

If the data highlighted the likes of Richardson, Morris & Gueye, how in the name of fuck can a so called professional football scout still suggest those three after seeing them play in the flesh?

18 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

So you think it was wrong for McInnes to leave?

Not wrong for him to leave, but he was made to go under the wrong circumstances. 

I've posted this before, but ideally he should have been given to the end of the season, then given the chance to leave with the thanks and respect of the club. Then an experienced manager should have been appointed. 

But no, that's not Cormack's way. The naivety, arrogance and hubris in the way he handled McInnes' sacking was merely an indicator of the complete fuck up he was going to continually make in his running of the club. 

The way the club and team have degenerated can be traced directly back to Cormack's influence over the club and his sacking of Mcinnes. 

• Upvote 5
34 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

https://twitter.com/emmamac25/status/1741213110650699818?s=46&t=usqCe9UHp5GqzWQzYt4hgA

I think this photo sums it up. Must be annoying as fuck having to work alongside such spastics

Interesting pic, taken at the St Mirren game we lost 3-0?

Burrows at least looks like he's contemplating what he's just seen on the pitch.

Milne and Cormack goofing around.

Gunn looking to see which one of the two most needs him to lick the spittle from their face.

44 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

Not wrong for him to leave, but he was made to go under the wrong circumstances. 

I've posted this before, but ideally he should have been given to the end of the season, then given the chance to leave with the thanks and respect of the club. Then an experienced manager should have been appointed. 

But no, that's not Cormack's way. The naivety, arrogance and hubris in the way he handled McInnes' sacking was merely an indicator of the complete fuck up he was going to continually make in his running of the club. 

The way the club and team have degenerated can be traced directly back to Cormack's influence over the club and his sacking of Mcinnes. 

He would have got to the end of the season had we not been turning in abject performances and failing to score a fucking goal.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, elephantstone78 said:

Agree. 

For me the focus should be predominantly on signing players who have done well in the spfl. There must be at least one from each team out with the OF that would enhance our squad. 

No more players from the 4th tier of English football. You just end up paying a premium price for utter dross. 

A couple of overseas based players max. 

We have it the wrong way around just now where our first instinct is to buy unknown foreign then lower league English unknown then finally some players with actual experience of our league. 

Ultimately there's four places we can find talent;

1) Develop players through our youth system

2) Bring in players who have played for other Scottish clubs at some point in their career

3) English lower league "gems" or young loanees from the EPL/Champ

4) Foreign markets

The problems with (1) is our best youngsters are now being poached by English clubs before they reach the first team or after one good season.  Also, our fans sometimes lack the patience required to let these players to develop.

With (2) we're either competing against other Scottish clubs or richer English Championship/EFL1 clubs who can offer more money and the supposedly greener pastures of playing down south.

Players from (3) often seem to underestimate our league or just turn out to be shite.

(4) takes more effort to do well because it is the biggest market with the most unknowns and therefore risk.  As a result it can produce some great players, but also some fucking garbage ones.

Whereas under Milne/McInnes the focus was primarily on (2) and (3), since Cormack took over there's definitely been more of a focus on (4), although Goodwin was also really keen on (3).

Best thing to do is spread it around and tap all four markets, but there's always going to successes and failures. What we need is to find the right formula for maximising the successes and minimising the failures from each.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, winchester83 said:

No he had to leave as he was undermined by Cormack who denied McInnes of funds unlike the dogshit management's who succeeded him.

He had to leave as he wasn't happy about the way recruitment was going to be done in general. McInnes liked having overall control and Cormack wanted to go a different route. And yes, because of this he wasn't funded towards the end. At least that's what I was told.