Next Manager

2 minutes ago, Dandys1983 said:

Need double figures, never mind 3-4 people are delusional if they think this squad is any good, id keep McGrath at a push but the rest can all do (excluding Miovski) 

Goalie
Left back. 
Centre half. 
two midfielders 
two wingers. 
two strikers 

On the assumption Roos, Gartenmann, Barron, Duk & Miovski are not here next season. 

2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Goalie
Left back. 
Centre half. 
two midfielders 
two wingers. 
two strikers 

On the assumption Roos, Gartenmann, Barron, Duk & Miovski are not here next season. 

And the rest that the new manager will bin, can't see much managers keeping Clarkson 

16 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It amazes me that there are still people that think we've got a good squad that just needs a new manager to transform it into some all conquering side. 

They must have watched all our games on the radio. 

Totally bewildering.

12 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

It amazes me that there are still people that think we've got a good squad that just needs a new manager to transform it into some all conquering side. 

They must have watched all our games on the radio. 

Great post 👍

1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Assume you mean SPFL players by “known quantities”?

Aye. Or folk who have played at this level before.

Had we signed, for example, Stuart Findlay instead of Ruchard Jensen, we'd be in much better shape.

We need loads of players 

2 goalies seeing as Roos is away and the back up is clearly shite if he can't displace him this season. 

A right back to at least compete with Devlin but ideally to take his place 

A left back to demote Mackenzie to a squad player 

2 centre backs to compete with Rubi and MacDonald 

2 central midfielders for obvious reasons 

2 wingers 

At least 1 striker, 2 if Miovski and Duk leave as expected. 

So 11 or 12 then 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Dubaidon said:

Situation is as follows:

Terms agreed but new man is not willing to sign until it is guaranteed that AFC will remain in SPL...

Did you tell them about Falkirk's ground? Dons are safe

5 minutes ago, McginnAgain said:

Had we signed, for example, Stuart Findlay instead of Ruchard Jensen, we'd be in much better shape.

Robbie Deas would’ve been a great signing for us but was laughed off by other folk

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Goalie
Left back. 
Centre half. 
two midfielders 
two wingers. 
two strikers 

Add to that a rotational right back option would be nice, unless we’re planning on using Jack Milne as back up there. Not sure if there are any of the youth players in that position ready to make the step up.

Whoever the new man is will have to prioritise the signings. 

Bavidge and Marshall ready to make the step up to the first team? 

1 minute ago, McginnAgain said:

We did sign too many that weren’t suitable for the SPFL.

Gartenmann, Jensen, McGarry, Gueye, Dadia are obvious examples.

The big lad Mayo at Killie, McCowan & Cameron at Dundee.  
Were far too late for Watson at Killie or Miller at Motherwell, but there are good examples of players at other clubs that would fit in at Aberdeen.

A mix of both is what would work better.

This all depends of course on who we appoint as manager. 
In the unlikely event we ever appoint Thelin, then the obvious area might be a few Scandinavians. Hopefully not more Jensen & Gartenmanns! 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We need loads of players 

2 goalies seeing as Roos is away and the back up is clearly shite if he can't displace him this season. 

2 wingers 

So 11 or 12 then 

They can’t even get the right manager in.  How are these clowns going to get the right 12 in.   

• Dildo 1
1 minute ago, pittodriepie83 said:

Add to that a rotational right back option would be nice, unless we’re planning on using Jack Milne as back up there. Not sure if there are any of the youth players in that position ready to make the step up.

Whoever the new man is will have to prioritise the signings. 

Bavidge and Marshall ready to make the step up to the first team? 

Bavidge needs a chance. 
Not necessarily as a starting 9 as that should be our headline signing in the summer (assuming Bojan leaves)  but maybe first option off the bench.

22 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We need loads of players 

2 wingers 

So 11 or 12 then 

As I said in the summer 2024 transfer thread, can see this taking 2 or 3 transfer windows, to get all 12 players in.

This summer, I reckon it will be one goalie, 2 centre halves, 2 centre mids and a striker, with possibly a puckle of loans for the wide areas.

Reading the spiel about Thelin last week, he always has 6 wide players in his system ; 2 starters, 2 subs who always come on cos the original 2 are fucked after 70 mins or so, due to the gengenpressing. And then 2 more wingers lined up, from the youth team, who get promoted into the 1st team squad, when the 2 starters inevitably get sold on.

With the way Thelin wants to play, it requires square pegs in square holes, something our Recruitment team haven’t been good at providing the manager with lately.

1 minute ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We did sign too many that weren’t suitable for the SPFL.

Gartenmann, Jensen, McGarry, Gueye, Dadia are obvious examples.

The big lad Mayo at Killie, McCowan & Cameron at Dundee.  
Were far too late for Watson at Killie or Miller at Motherwell, but there are good examples of players at other clubs that would fit in at Aberdeen.

A mix of both is what would work better.

This all depends of course on who we appoint as manager. 
In the unlikely event we ever appoint Thelin, then the obvious area might be a few Scandinavians. Hopefully not more Jensen & Gartenmanns! 

The big lad mayo the ex hun?, he wouldn’t survive up here, I suggested Finlay left sided centre back before he went to America, was an upgrade on considine at the time, and Cameron has been touted for player of the year outsider by a few pundits so would put him in the class of Watson and Lennon as too late. But it should have been players like that we should have went for last year, max Johnson as well given his relationship with burrows before he moved to sturm graz, all missed opportunities.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, sooth_stander said:

As I said in the summer 2024 transfer thread, can see this taking 2 or 3 transfer windows, to get all 12 players in.

This summer, I reckon it will be one goalie, 2 centre halves, 2 centre mids and a striker, with possibly a puckle of loans for the wide areas.

Reading the spiel about Thelin last week, he always has 4 wide players; 2 starters, 2 subs who always come on cos the original 2 are fucked after 70 mins or so, due to the gengenpressing.

Shayden Morris renaissance 😁

…. or perhaps not 

Just now, Dons79 said:

The big lad mayo the ex hun?, he wouldn’t survive up here, I suggested Finlay left sided centre back before he went to America, was an upgrade on considine at the time, and Cameron has been touted for player of the year outsider by a few pundits so would put him in the class of Watson and Lennon as too late. But it should have been players like that we should have went for last year, max Johnson as well given his relationship with burrows before he moved to sturm graz, all missed opportunities.

Never been wholly convinced by Findlay but he’d be an upgrade on, and be more suited to our league, than Jensen. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Reading the spiel about Thelin last week, he always has 4 wide players; 2 starters, 2 subs who always come on cos the original 2 are fucked after 70 mins or so, due to the gengenpressing.

Aye

I'd rather get 6 really good players in than 12 duffers. 

2 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

come on down vinny besuijen

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, minijc said:

He plays an attacking 4-3-3 which is heavily reliant on pressing teams, we need more than just 3 or 4 players.  For starters we would need at least 2 wide players, that's without taking into consideration a replacement for Duk.

Then we look at the defence which probably needs the most work, we also need a new goalkeeper, so that's already 6+ players, the biggest issue would be whether or not the club and fans stick with a manager like that as it won't be easy implementing everything.

Arite JJ Bull 

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye

I'd rather get 6 really good players in than 12 duffers. 

Exactly this. We clearly spread whatever resources we have way too thin on acquiring the bakers dozen of mostly duffers. Would rather spend time on 6 quality signings and then improve on that in January, with ideally players that aren't signing new contracts at their existing clubs.