Next Manager

5 hours ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

So be it min.

I would most definitely accept 2 steps back if it led to 3 steps forward. 

As you say club is a complete shambles and changes most definitely require to be made.

Can you see Cormack, Burrows and Gunn all still being in their current positions leading into the new season?

The problem being it’s those in your last paragraph that’s responsible for recognising the difference between what is “a step backwards” towards a future good and what is a catastrophic sweep headlong towards a footballing cliff face. (My spell check chose orifice - both seem equally applicable)

5 hours ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

So be it min.

I would most definitely accept 2 steps back if it led to 3 steps forward. 

As you say club is a complete shambles and changes most definitely require to be made.

Can you see Cormack, Burrows and Gunn all still being in their current positions leading into the new season?

Sadly, yes! Cormack not being here is contingent on someone buying his share capital, which is highly unlikely. Given he appointed the other 2, they will still be here too, in my opinion. Both should be out on their arse already, given the shambles that is manager gate. 

42 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

He's (Baccus) a defensive midfielder which is a position we need to strengthen in and at 25 he can still improve. On a free transfer he would be a decent acquisition however I suspect our stock is so low he won't consider Aberdeen.

I would however be throwing a decent fee at Dundee for Cameron. I think he's a smashing talent. Two no nonsense hard men also wouldn't go amiss in our powderpuff set up. 

And a decent keeper, and at least two central defenders, 2 wingers and a 20 goal a season striker.

And a fucking manager. 

Not too much to hope for.

The problem is when they sign for us they turn to shit. 

• Upvote 1

C’mon min, thank Christ the board are showing more ambition in their search for a manager than the players mentioned on here min! The equivalent would be us getting Stephen Robinson in as manager -gie yersels a shake! Jeez min, mediocrity rules eh 🤦‍♂️

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

C’mon min, thank Christ the board are showing more ambition in their search for a manager than the players mentioned on here min! The equivalent would be us getting Stephen Robinson in as manager -gie yersels a shake! Jeez min, mediocrity rules eh 🤦‍♂️

Who would you like to see us sign?

19 minutes ago, minijc said:

Who would you like to see us sign?

Ok, only perhaps Armstrong out of that lot! The fact never heard of Miovski, Ramadani, Ruby etc before means I don’t know who is out there, it’s a big world. But yeah, let’s pick up St Mirren subs ffs! 

1 minute ago, stuartyboy said:

Ok, only perhaps Armstrong out of that lot! The fact never heard of Miovski, Ramadani, Ruby etc before means I don’t know who is out there, it’s a big world. But yeah, let’s pick up St Mirren subs ffs! 

I sort of agree but we need to have the right balance, some ok players that could be added from this league, I'd definitely take Baccus.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

You really overestimate our standing as a club at present. Also these are good suggestions from people who have clearly been watching them play. 

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

I'm not suggesting we sign them all but it takes a lot of elements to build a team. A few choice signings from our own league to balance the overseas signings could create a stronger foundation than we've got currently. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'm not suggesting we sign them all but it takes a lot of elements to build a team. A few choice signings from our own league to balance the overseas signings could create a stronger foundation than we've got currently. 

I'd add to that we should be looking down south at Scottish players who started their career up here, have tried their luck down there and are looking to move back.  We were linked with Jason Kerr in the Jan window and he'd fit that description. 

Like you say, it's about finding the right balance of players who "know the league" and the foreign imports who give us something different (and can potentially be sold for healthy profits).

6 hours ago, huncunts said:

I've heard Gunn isn't actually a director of football in the sporting sense.

He's doing loads of work that wouldn't be applicable to a German style sporting director.

The admin, if you will. Rather than having the power to choose and sack a manager. 

A cynic would suggest that some are throwing about bits of false info to make it look like Gunn isn't doing that bad a job.

17 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

So basically come Tuesday we'll be moving on to our next no1 target. 

Why do you say that? If I was a betting man, and this fella is close to Thelin and has spoken to him, I think this is a positive.

At the moment, Thelin doesn’t have a decision to make. If he’s making a decision, I think he’s swaying on moving.

10 minutes ago, Willo flood said:

Well I look forward to an article in 24-48 hours time stating 

’Elfsborg boss Jimmy Thelin opts to stay, as Swedish born gaffer finally closes the door on pittodrie club.’

Ha. Beat me to it.

4 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Owen Beck would be a decent loan at left back. 

Lyall Cameron (if he's not already out of our price range) would be a good investment in Scottish youth. 

Armstrong from Kilmarnock. 

We need to pick off the better younger players in our league who have proven they can deal with a bit of adversity as well as making a few of the foreign signings (but not as many).  Add a couple of our own young players like Bavidge and we're off and running for a new era. 

You've got some good points there but we're starting to sound like the entitled old firm who think they can just get anyone they want - not sure it's as easy as that for us. I wouldn't take Beck on loan - McKenzie is developing well why take a loan and keep him out. He earned his place ahead of McGarry.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, RedRevolution said:

You've got some good points there but we're starting to sound like the entitled old firm who think they can just get anyone they want - not sure it's as easy as that for us. I wouldn't take Beck on loan - McKenzie is developing well why take a loan and keep him out. He earned his place ahead of McGarry.

For the simple fact that Owen Beck is levels above him. I agree that he has improved this season but if we want to develop and the opportunity was there to sign Beck then we certainly shouldn't be passing it up due to some perceived loyalty to Jack McKenzie. 

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Award winning journalism/grammar 

The fact that he "lives and lives football" is another great quote in Record. An interesting line after all the talk of Gegenpressen and new players on here is that his ex player Smylie says Thelin would adapt his style to the players he has available. Hopefully that would be until he got players up to speed in his preferred style or got replacements in but at least it sounds as if he'll adapt and go with what he thinks will work rather than round pegs in square holes just to accommodate his current preference from Day 1. Reading some analysis on Elfsborg he often has them 4-2-3-1 which alters to more a 4-4-2 with a midfielder pushing up when in attack and the fast/high press if possession lost which as others have said would require a good few signings or remarkable improvements from many already here

9 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We need loads of players 

2 goalies seeing as Roos is away and the back up is clearly shite if he can't displace him this season. 

A right back to at least compete with Devlin but ideally to take his place 

A left back to demote Mackenzie to a squad player 

2 centre backs to compete with Rubi and MacDonald 

2 central midfielders for obvious reasons 

2 wingers 

At least 1 striker, 2 if Miovski and Duk leave as expected. 

So 11 or 12 then 

And replacements for Hayes, Morris, Stewart, Richardson, Besuijen and a few others if they can possible be offloaded.

On 4/6/2024 at 5:34 PM, Broken_Glass said:

Cormack and Co need to seriously up their game and put the manager snail paced search into overdrive.

We are an absolute fucking shambles of a club and team. What an embarrassment Cormack has created at our club. Its beyond a joke how long this is taking now and to be dictated to from an unknown Swedish manager shows how pathetic we are being managed from the top.

I was 50/50 about renewing after today and the last 3 seasons in general I'm 20/80 in favour of walking away from Pittodrie and have the occasional pay at the gate attendance when the weather is good or I have nothing better to do. Apathy rules in Pittodrie that much is clear.

You won’t though, min! By virtue of you talking about apathy, you know you still care. If you’re apathetic you wouldn’t post about it. We’ve seen worse than this current shit show and there’s always ups and downs. I’m raging too, but I will always buy my season ticket, as long I can afford to. 
you know you will too! Fit the fuck else are you gonna do at 3pm on a Saturday. (ko times and days vary).

keep the faith, mate