Next Manager

3 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

Glass was healthily backed financially, unfortunately he and Russell decided to spend that budget on Gurr, Jet, Samuels, Jenks and so on. He didn't have a head of recruitment from day one, fair enough, but football managers will need to have an eye for a player themselves regardless of that and Glass did not.

While Glass got more money than McInnes before him, there's no way to compare the money spent on that shower with what has happened in the last season and a bit money wise. 

7 hours ago, Dunty said:

Who did you support in those first 10 years?

Only joking. You lucky cunt. You got to see us when we were good and you didn't have millertime ruining it all.

Yeh, he should, on another forum. Donstalk would love the extra traffic.

Thank you.

@mainstandmoan

Yep, supported Dons, and only Dons, since I was 4 or 5, and well before social media kinda makes things rather daft.

I still prefer a grown up, face to face debate with folk as opposed to attempting to have a reasonable "discussion " with certain keyboard warriors, who are only interested in their own opinion which, in the most part, are either flawed or brutal. The type of opinion they most definitely wouldn't raise in a face to face discussion. 

There will come a time that the keyboard warriors will rule this site and folk like me will depart.

Don't get me wrong there are also some fine posters at this time but, like me, I suspect there will be a tipping point at sometime in the future. 

My tipping point will be 60.

Some folk have a bucket list, which I do too. I also have a fuckit list, of which attempting to reason with keyboard warriors going forwards will not be an option post 60.

Life's too short for such pish.

• Upvote 2

If it's a done deal I'm surprised the club haven't made an official announcement of sorts to confirm he is indeed coming.  The date he takes over doesn't have to be specified. Just that be has commited to join the club and he'll be in charge next season.

It would help kick start season ticket sales big time and give our crowds a feelgood factor for the remaining games of this season 

12 minutes ago, a don in oz said:

While Glass got more money than McInnes before him, there's no way to compare the money spent on that shower with what has happened in the last season and a bit money wise. 

I still think there's a tendency to over-romanticise what was still a bad appointment and period for the club. Definitely didn't have us routinely playing good football.

In hindsight he probably should've been given more time but I think most of us agreed with the sacking at the time.

• Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

If it's a done deal I'm surprised the club haven't made an official announcement of sorts to confirm he is indeed coming. 

Has anyone actually seen anything other than speculation in the Swedish press to suggest its a done deal? Even the speculation is more about succession planning for Elfsborg.

7 minutes ago, Red-Man-Erg said:

Has anyone actually seen anything other than speculation in the Swedish press to suggest its a done deal? Even the speculation is more about succession planning for Elfsborg.

It does look to be 99% there with just a timescale to be finalised. Longer it drags on with no official confirmation from any of the involved parties the more sceptical I become. It's amateur hour not making an announcement unless of course as you suggest it isn't a done deal. 

I would think we're maybe pushing to get him now or perhaps they are well on the way to a replacement and that might suit both parties to get him in imminently so no point in making statements for that to change in a few days?

Another reason might be if they have a game like us this weekend then wait until Monday to confirm it all to avoid a full on media storm before important matches.

9 hours ago, Willo flood said:

Crucial that we bring in a good technical director now, it’s all well and good bringing in someone like Thelin but if the people above him are going to be as useless as the likes of Gunn it’s just setting him up to fail.

get a thread started

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, Red-Man-Erg said:

Seems elfsborg are appointing Aalborg manager. Curiously Aalborg are owned by the German company who were reviewing afc activities…

1 hour ago, Sheeptastic said:

I still think there's a tendency to over-romanticise what was still a bad appointment and period for the club. Definitely didn't have us routinely playing good football.

In hindsight he probably should've been given more time but I think most of us agreed with the sacking at the time.

I don't think it's over-romanticising it. I do genuinely believe he tried to get us to play football unlike the shit that followed by and large. He just didn't have the players for it to work.

What isn't inherent in just numbering things 1,2,3,.. is the gulf between them. There's a vast gulf between my 2 and 3. However between Glass, Brown and Robson it's nowhere near as large. I think Glass with time and experience will be the best manager (in terms of being a fan watching his teams) of all the rest of my numbering. Experience would have told him the game was he was trying to play was not going to work with the resources he had. 

I think the reason most of us wanted him gone at the end was probably coloured by the very obvious signing of him as a buddy by Cormack. That got us offside from the beginning so unless he had us winning everything he was probably going to be fighting that grudge the whole way. 

17 minutes ago, RUL said:

Seems elfsborg are appointing Aalborg manager. Curiously Aalborg are owned by the German company who were reviewing afc activities…

So we should be stepping in and gazumping them to get the Aalborg manager? Sounds like a plan to me.😀

12 minutes ago, a don in oz said:

I don't think it's over-romanticising it. I do genuinely believe he tried to get us to play football unlike the shit that followed by and large. He just didn't have the players for it to work.

What isn't inherent in just numbering things 1,2,3,.. is the gulf between them. There's a vast gulf between my 2 and 3. However between Glass, Brown and Robson it's nowhere near as large. I think Glass with time and experience will be the best manager (in terms of being a fan watching his teams) of all the rest of my numbering. Experience would have told him the game was he was trying to play was not going to work with the resources he had. 

I think the reason most of us wanted him gone at the end was probably coloured by the very obvious signing of him as a buddy by Cormack. That got us offside from the beginning so unless he had us winning everything he was probably going to be fighting that grudge the whole way. 

You've changed your stance from him having us 'routinely' playing good football to him trying to play football 😏

I don't really disagree with the sentiment of your point, I just think it's quite easy for us to look back and say 'he would've done better if he had Miovski and Duk' than his successors who ultimately failed with Miovski and Duk when the reality is we have no idea and I'm still not convinced there's a lot of evidence for it. Not to mention Glass loved Ramirez and Goodwin didn't which is why we signed Miovski. You could argue it wouldn't have been a position Glass would have strengthened. 

That said, I don't think the issues with Glass' approach stemmed from not being backed by Cormack. For me, I don't think he knew how to coach defensive shape and neither do I think he was particularly adaptable in the face of opponents who sussed him out. There was a 1-0 defeat away to St Mirren (Jim Goodwin's St Mirren) that epitomised this. We had the lion's share of possession but they were quite content for us to have it because we were essentially passing it back and forth across the backline. Then they hit us on the counter-attack. 

Time and time again, we were too soft and very much looked like a side managed by a rookie. What followed under Goodwin was disastrous and that has only helped how we view Glass. Robson, as bad as his football was, achieved considerably more than both. 

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Sheeptastic said:

You've changed your stance from him having us 'routinely' playing good football to him trying to play football 😏

No. I've not. I said he tried to get us playing good football and we routinely did; just with no end product. I stand by that.

42 minutes ago, a don in oz said:

It was pretty obvious early on that his style and formation wasn’t working - teams worked it out early on and took advantage. Diagonal ball into the space left by the full backs…goal. Glass didn’t change it, and still hasn’t in his current post. He was his own worst enemy in that he was too naive to think it would eventually work or that he was stubbornly sticking with it. All his own doing really. Along with buying Gurr, JET etc…

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Sheeptastic said:

I don't really disagree with the sentiment of your point, I just think it's quite easy for us to look back and say 'he would've done better if he had Miovski and Duk' than his successors who ultimately failed with Miovski and Duk when the reality is we have no idea and I'm still not convinced there's a lot of evidence for it. Not to mention Glass loved Ramirez and Goodwin didn't which is why we signed Miovski. You could argue it wouldn't have been a position Glass would have strengthened. 

That said, I don't think the issues with Glass' approach stemmed from not being backed by Cormack. For me, I don't think he knew how to coach defensive shape and neither do I think he was particularly adaptable in the face of opponents who sussed him out. There was a 1-0 defeat away to St Mirren (Jim Goodwin's St Mirren) that epitomised this. We had the lion's share of possession but they were quite content for us to have it because we were essentially passing it back and forth across the backline. Then they hit us on the counter-attack. 

Time and time again, we were too soft and very much looked like a side managed by a rookie. What followed under Goodwin was disastrous and that has only helped how we view Glass. Robson, as bad as his football was, achieved considerably more than both. 

I dont think you need to go as far as the football eventually presented on the park.  He was the "left field" choice we felt was needed to follow the unquestionably successful McInnes who, in some eyes, seemed to have transformed from young and ambitious to a bit stayed and repetitive (and less successful).  Glass' lack of experience affected him badly though, not least in not recognising the board and below shit show he was coming into.  It was like Ferrari hiring a decent go kart driver, chucking him in their bestest F1 car and hoping for the best.  He made the first bend but in the laps to follow reality eventually crept in.   

1 hour ago, a don in oz said:

Glass was pish. I don't blame him for taking the job, if I was offered it I'd take it. He should never ever ever ever ever have even been in the frame never mind even considered for the post.

A ludicrous decision and appointment and the obvious start of our decay under Cormack.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I dont think you need to go as far as the football eventually presented on the park.  He was the "left field" choice we felt was needed to follow the unquestionably successful McInnes who, in some eyes, seemed to have transformed from young and ambitious to a bit stayed and repetitive (and less successful).  Glass' lack of experience affected him badly though, not least in not recognising the board and below shit show he was coming into.  It was like Ferrari hiring a decent go kart driver, chucking him in their bestest F1 car and hoping for the best.  He made the first bend but in the laps to follow reality eventually crept in.   

We????

There is absolutely no "we" about it. I certainly didn't want him anywhere near the club. One man wanted him and shafted the fans and the club in the process. A decision we're still afflicted by.

• Haha 1
Just now, Broken_Glass said:

We????

There is absolutely no "we" about it. I certainly didn't want him anywhere near the club. One man wanted him and shafted the fans and the club in the process. A decision we're still afflicted by.

Sorry, agreed.  Jimmy Thelin with 15 years experience is also the left field appointment "we" want i.e. not Ross, Neil, Yogi, Lennon or any other merry go round rider.

It was a sideways jump is my point and relative to peak McInnes a step backwards to hopefully take two more forwards.

Chucking in an inexperienced newbie to that mix was clearly a step too far and yes, frustratingly predictable also.  

Just now, Adogcalledspot said:

Passed Colgate park les than 30 minutes ago. Loads of cars . Than again it’s the nicest day in ages they may actually be thinking they can train there. 
oh at my time of passing no one was outside  10:30am. 

How’s the queue at Starbucks? It’s iced oat milk latte weather today 

53 minutes ago, Adogcalledspot said:

Passed Colgate park les than 30 minutes ago. Loads of cars . Than again it’s the nicest day in ages they may actually be thinking they can train there. 
oh at my time of passing no one was outside  10:30am. 

Hope you were a passenger and not driving taking eyes off road to look at car park and first team pitches at the rear of the complex 

4 hours ago, DeltaRay1903 said:

It does look to be 99% there with just a timescale to be finalised. Longer it drags on with no official confirmation from any of the involved parties the more sceptical I become. It's amateur hour not making an announcement unless of course as you suggest it isn't a done deal. 

The longer no announcement by the super AFC board,  it’s not a done deal.   Who stated it was a done deal.???????   

On 4/10/2024 at 10:58 PM, Millertime said:

Immediately, Big Hat logan springs to mind

But maybe not,  too obvious, I'll think about it 

I'd also ask it's just a sinbin  - ban is too harsh

But I'll negotiate for maybe 3 sin bins in lieu of one outright banning

@Bebo, thoughts?

Supposedly blocked yet I’m the first poster you think of at any given time. 

Calling you out as being a beige and uninteresting person really hit the mark I guess

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Supposedly blocked yet I’m the first poster you think of at any given time. 

Calling you out as being a beige and uninteresting person really hit the mark I guess

With all due respect, how the fuck can you call him uninteresting?