Next Manager

7 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Even getting 5th is going to take a massive turn around. In the last 4 years we’ve shown about 2 months of form. Can’t think of us being decent at all outside Robson’s caretaker period 

We were third going into the World Cup break. We were inconsistent and poor away, but decent would be fair. We weren't good.

1 hour ago, davierobb said:

Be honest . Yes we should be aiming for Europe but that team ( minus Mioviski ) will get right royally humped in Europe by some bog standard European very early doors.

If we finish 4th or 5th then we will be playing early qualifiers so there's a chance Miovski is still here as window doesn't close until a month later.

26 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We'll be doing well to make top half at the split let alone get into Europe. 

If we don't start winning the next few games we'll likely be more or less cut off from top 6 already 

Typically you need about 42 points or so to make the top 6 so we would need something like 17 points from the following 10 games

Motherwell (H) 3

Hibs (H) 3

Kilmarnock (A) 1

St Johnstone (H) 3

St Mirren (A) 0

Dundee (A) 1

Motherwell (A) 1

Ross (H) 3

Livingston (A) 3

Dundee (H) 3

With a fair wind we can get 21 points but no doubt we will throw in a couple of poor performances and slip up but 17 points is definitely doable. The problem is that even 21 points will still leave us a bit behind St Mirren and Kilmarnock I would imagine so will likely have to beat both of them at home after the split

52 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We'll be doing well to make top half at the split let alone get into Europe. 

If we don't start winning the next few games we'll likely be more or less cut off from top 6 already 

I think we will get the top 6. Win our two games in hand and it’s looks easy. 

19 minutes ago, Don Shula said:

Typically you need about 42 points or so to make the top 6 so we would need something like 17 points from the following 10 games

Motherwell (H) 3

Hibs (H) 3

Kilmarnock (A) 1

St Johnstone (H) 3

St Mirren (A) 0

Dundee (A) 1

Motherwell (A) 1

Ross (H) 3

Livingston (A) 3

Dundee (H) 3

With a fair wind we can get 21 points but no doubt we will throw in a couple of poor performances and slip up but 17 points is definitely doable. The problem is that even 21 points will still leave us a bit behind St Mirren and Kilmarnock I would imagine so will likely have to beat both of them at home after the split

30 points from that run of games. 

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, thurso said:

I think we will get the top 6. Win our two games in hand and it’s looks easy. 

30 points from that run of games. 

We’ve averaged about one point per game so far.  Unless Doohan turns out to be a genuine upgrade on Roos I can’t see any grounds for thinking we’re going to be much better in the remaining games.

8 minutes ago, redone said:

We’ve averaged about one point per game so far.  Unless Doohan turns out to be a genuine upgrade on Roos I can’t see any grounds for thinking we’re going to be much better in the remaining games.

A new manager who actually knows what he is doing?

1 hour ago, Don Shula said:

Motherwell (H) 3

Hibs (H) 3

Kilmarnock (A) 1

St Johnstone (H) 3

St Mirren (A) 0

Dundee (A) 1

Motherwell (A) 1

Ross (H) 3

Livingston (A) 3

Dundee (H) 3

In a good season we should be winning 7 or 8 and possibly drawing one and losing one of those.  (i'm being realistic)  But this season and this team i think we'll be lucky to win 5 and draw a few.  Dundee are no mugs nor are Killie, St Mirren.  Hibs and Motherwell are up and down.  As others have said the standard of the league is shit however a lot of these teams have fighters and grafters which are pulling their respective clubs upwards we don't have that at the moment.  Warnock will improve us but he is not a miracle worker

I do suspect Roos will be brought back in tomorrow night but how many more fuck ups is he going to be allowed to make before he gets taken out for good? He hasn't signed our new contract offer (thank fuck...it needs withdrawn asap before he can change his mind) so clearly he sees his future elsewhere next season.

Doohan clearly isn't the long term answer either but he was reasonable against Bonnyrigg....taking into account the level of opposition....and if Warnock did decide to keep him in for now Roos could really have no complaints. As I say, I suspect that won't happen but to my mind if Roos turns in another performance like he did at Ibrox last week, he should never start another game for us again

57 minutes ago, redone said:

I thought the consensus on here the reason we were so poor and inconsistent was because of Robson and he was a sit manager. Surely with wornock as manager and the good squad we have we should be winning all those. 

• Confused 1
22 minutes ago, thurso said:

I thought the consensus on here the reason we were so poor and inconsistent was because of Robson and he was a sit manager. Surely with wornock as manager and the good squad we have we should be winning all those. 

Yes he's a shit manager. Who signed a good few shit players. 

Almost exclusively playing in central defence. So to say our squad is good would be wrong on those grounds alone. Although I do concede that a few of the ones he signed that play elsewhere in the side haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Yes he's a shit manager. Who signed a good few shit players. 

Almost exclusively playing in central defence. So to say our squad is good would be wrong on those grounds alone. Although I do concede that a few of the ones he signed that play elsewhere in the side haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either

I’m not sure the squad is that bad. There isn’t many teams above us outside the top two where I would wish I had their squad. 

I think it was just badly managed 

8 minutes ago, thurso said:

I’m not sure the squad is that bad. There isn’t many teams above us outside the top two where I would wish I had their squad. 

Badly managed and poorly balanced, but with some really good players. Robson asked the scouts to recruit too many players to fit only one system, then refused to adapt. Never going to manage signing a couple of good wingers in January.

I think for all the criticism Gunn gets (and much of it warranted), a few seem to forget they're bringing in guys to fit the manager's criteria and playstyle. Probably why we have so many headless chickens.

Doubt it would make sense bringing in new players for a guy like Warnock if he's only going to be here for 3 months, only for the new guy to decide they're shite and be stuck with them on long contracts. Best we could have hoped for was a couple of loans but they would have been as much a gamble as they always are.

14 hours ago, Belabedlam said:

Badly managed and poorly balanced, but with some really good players. Robson asked the scouts to recruit too many players to fit only one system, then refused to adapt. Never going to manage signing a couple of good wingers in January.

I think for all the criticism Gunn gets (and much of it warranted), a few seem to forget they're bringing in guys to fit the manager's criteria and playstyle. Probably why we have so many headless chickens.

Doubt it would make sense bringing in new players for a guy like Warnock if he's only going to be here for 3 months, only for the new guy to decide they're shite and be stuck with them on long contracts. Best we could have hoped for was a couple of loans but they would have been as much a gamble as they always are.

You think all the players we recruited in the summer were all brought in to suit Robson’s ‘system’? 🤣 

All the players were brought in by ‘take what you get’ approach pretty much but Robson (mistakenly) thought the my were suited to his ‘system’ but nothing could be further from that

15 hours ago, thurso said:

Probably only about half a dozen to maybe eight players in our squad that I would want us to keep but I would happily replace all but Miovski & maybe Duk/Clarkson (in hope they rediscover form) in reality if I had a priority pick over the SPFL pool out with the arse cheeks. 

• Like 1

Tonight showed us why an interim manager is a stupid idea. Its a laugh for Warnock  , how else can you explain that starting 11. The new manager should be in now assessing the changes we need for next season. Appointing Warnock is writing off this season. Top 6 .? At the moment i think 10th is the height of our ambitions. Very dangerous game to play.

4 hours ago, davierobb said:

Tonight showed us why an interim manager is a stupid idea. Its a laugh for Warnock, how else can you explain that starting 11. The new manager should be in now assessing the changes we need for next season. Appointing Warnock is writing off this season. Top 6 .? At the moment i think 10th is the height of our ambitions. Very dangerous game to play.

1 hour ago, super_al said:

I see Derek McInnes was sitting with the directors tonight.

A ruse by Wardog with 2 of our next 5 games v Killie.

Still 27 pre-split points and a Cup to play for.

Aye great. Mcinnes who had us regularly 3rd or 4th place over many years will only be at Pittodrie as an opposition manager. With Cormack in charge you are right. But when you look at the gulf between the top three and us , our inability to beat teams around us we have become reliant on Livingston and Ross County being awful to keep us in the top flight . The league does not lie. We are 9th in one of the worst league of teams for years. Is this the bright exciting brand of football we were promised.?

• Upvote 1

Is the third party who are reviewing the operations also helping with picking a manager? Surely in this day and age we can consult some sort of recruitment/head hunting firm for football managers, who can use a lot of data metrics to establish who would be a good fit for the job. This is because our board have no clue what they are doing. 

2 hours ago, Saturday's Kid said:

I'm fairly sure that if McInnes was still manager we'd be in a better place than we are currently but it's like saying that the country would be better off if Theresa May was still Prime Minister. Just because what followed was disastrous doesn't mean that it wasn't time to go.

Aye exactly this

Still will get folk pining over him 

• Like 1