Should He Stay Or Should He Go Now?

You've Got To Let Me Know  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Should He Stay Or Should He Go?

• You Cant Keep Sacking Managers
    • Fire Him Aff The Fucking Roof

4 hours ago, dj_bollocks said:

But the expectation is surely to be third by quite some way, which should be achievable given how much we've spent and how bang average some of the other teams are. We just keep on taking 1 step forward and 3 steps back.

In terms of budget us hibs and hearts aren't that far apart but those three have a fair advantage over the rest. It's not a stretch to say whichever of the three has the best manager will finish third in any given year but being below any of the rest should never be accepted in the same way any ugly sister manager would immediately be sacked if they were any lower than second at this point of the season. For Aberdeen to be operating at a level of 1 point per game after the first quarter it's ludicrous to even consider retaining the manager. The results are dire, the performances equally so and Robson's post match interviews are little better than Cathro's were when he was at Hearts. We waited too long with Goodwin and it cost us our place in the Scottish Cup. Robson is likely about to see us out of two competitions Cormack needs to get off his arse and act NOW.

• Upvote 2

I waited before voting to see if I’d feel any different a few more hours away from our latest defeat.

But it’s not going anywhere and tbh I never felt it was ever going to.

Its a shame for Robson on a personal level but it was crazy to promote a completely unproven coach into this role- he didn’t even have a particularly good reputation as a youth coach.

48 minutes ago, Helmet said:

I it was crazy to promote a completely unproven coach into this role-

This is true but ultimately he has had, what, 30-odd games, and I think whoever if given the job they also have to receive a decent amount of time.

Generally things aren't good enough but he has also been pretty unlucky on a few occasions, most recently vs PAOK.

Only teams with megabucks, who can buy success, are able to sack managers willy nilly.  Other teams, like us, can end up in a death spiral with a revolving door of managers.

I would give him the season - I don't think (!) he would get us relegated.  

Its not as if there is a queue of good candidates for the job either.

We have had no stability since getting rid of McInnes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3
2 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

This is true but ultimately he has had, what, 30-odd games, and I think whoever if given the job they also have to receive a decent amount of time.

Generally things aren't good enough but he has also been pretty unlucky on a few occasions, most recently vs PAOK.

Only teams with megabucks, who can buy success, are able to sack managers willy nilly.  Other teams, like us, can end up in a death spiral with a revolving door of managers.

I would give him the season - I don't think (!) he would get us relegated.  

Its not as if there is a queue of good candidates for the job either.

We have had no stability since getting rid of McInnes.

I don’t see him being unlucky that much.

The tactical approach is a gamble- it looks brilliant one moment then you lose bad on the next roll of the dice.

Doesnt work over 90 mins and it’s nothing to do with being unlucky.

Edit: As for changing managers Willy nilly, sometimes that problem starts with the wrong appointment,  not the wrong sacking.

After reflection overnight I would contend that Robson has a week, 2 matches against Motherwell and Hibernian, to save his job.

4 victories in 16 matches is Glass or Goodwin territory, or worse.

Losing 7 of these matches and shipping 2+ goals in 9 of these matches suggests what others have been saying for sometime. We are not defending well as a team.

I watched the whole Killie game looking for positives.

Were there any?

McKenzie was doing a half decent job sticking to Armstrong but got subbed at half-time. Why?

I thought Barron was OK but the rest of the midfield was awful. Shinnie is a shadow of the player he was and the decision to let Ramadani to leave without an adequate replacement being lined up continues to look a disgrace. 

I read that Robson is admitting that players looked leggy and he should have made 2 or 3 changes to the starting line up. But he rarely gives some of the bench warmers a chance. Why?

On yesterday's performance, or lack of performance, I reckon that Robson really doesn't have a clue and that, in the next few games, our season might start spiralling out of control.

It looks like Cormack has got appointment number 3 wrong again.

Can he afford to make another mistake?

Finally I have to commend the true supporters who got up early on a minging Sunday morning to travel down to Kilmarnock to watch that performance. 

I bet that they will think twice the next time if Robson doesn't turn things around. 

Things have to change, and quickly!!!

• Upvote 3

My belief is that Cormack has too much to lose personally to go firing another manager. His ego won't allow him to be seen as a figure of derision that is dragging the club down by making hopeless choices. 

And so we'll plough on with Robson, hoping that somehow he can turn it around. Expectations will be dampened, and we when we end the season 8th excuses will be made that this was a difficult, transitional season with a new squad and a tough schedule. 

The only thing that may change that would be if the players lose all belief in Robson (and there were signs of that yesterday as heads went down) and we have a horrendous set of results a la Jim Goodwin. 

But otherwise I suspect we're buckling down for the long haul, for good or bad. 

To just carry on with Robson in charge in the hope he can turn it around is just folly. Just cant see how we can win a game of football just now in the way we are set up and the style of play.

Even the travelling fans which in the main are brilliantly supportive were booing when we are continually trying long throws from both touchlines as soon as we get within 30 yards from goal. We must use this tactic at least 12 - 15 times per game and we have not once (as far as I can remember) got anything positive from them and it seems to be our main attacking tactic.

As others have said I think it was wrong to give him the job full time last season and unfortunately I think we will stumble on for a few weeks picking up nothing and it is now just a matter of time until he is gone.

When Robson took over last year I think the players got a real boost from Goodwin leaving as he was a divisive character. Whilst the football wasn’t great, Robson used the improved team spirit to get results. Sadly that only last so long and whilst I think the players are still trying, it looks like they no idea what they’re trying to do and there’s been nothing to suggest that will change.

So I’d not be sad if there was a change, but don’t see one coming anytime soon. I think the chairman and board are generally confused with what they’re trying to achieve as we’ve gone from an attractive attacking football philosophy to appointing Goodwin and Robson who both hate passing football - I’d not want Robson back in charge of the youth team either as his tactics and style of play are brutal and damaging.

12 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Gartermann today had an easy pass but his first thought was go long, by the time he processed this he lost the ball. 

You could see it on his face in the replay... twice he looked up to see who he could launch the ball up the pitch in the general direction of, eventually taking far too long and kicking it straight into Marley Watkins.

Its amazing that until recently we had posters claiming the long ball tactics weren't on Robson and were solely down to the players not following his instructions. As you said it's clearly his instructions to play the long ball.

58 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Shinnie is a shadow of the player he was and the decision to let Ramadani to leave without an adequate replacement being lined up continues to look a disgrace. 

Shinnie is capable of a decent 15 min or so spell in most games but at the level that we aspire to be at, Shinnie is done, and I said that back in Jan. Yards off it. Nostalgic signing by Cormack, as was Hayes, and we need to get away from that type of retrospective signing.

Regarding Rama, it’s all very well speculating to accumulate but to let him go for only £1m was an ill thought out strategy and to not replace him? Madness 

Absolutely pointless sacking him yet, as was proved last season it only takes a run of 10 games or so to guarnetee yourself 3rd spot.  This merry go round of sacking manager after manager has to stop somewhere.  

All we need is to be in tow of the Euro spots come the turn of the year, which im fairly confident we will be due to the standard of the rest of the league.

With the Euro games now being dead rubber hopefully we can start playing some fringe players in those games and concentrate on getting ourselves back up the table. of which we are 5 points off of fourth.

• Haha 1
Just now, Pat_Nevin said:

This merry go round of sacking manager after manager has to stop somewhere.  

Yes when we finally appoint a decent manager.

We are also 9 points off of 3rd place and only 5 points off the bottom and have a tactically inept manager in charge producing eye bleedingly bad football.

He's not good enough so he shouldn't be in the job, its as simple as that.

• Upvote 5
14 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I don't think we've seen enough yet that merits a sacking but yes, i think, its inevitable.

FWIW i think he'll survive to 2024

Wait until the season is beyond salvageable?  It won't only be Robson needing ran out of town if that happens

13 hours ago, Dandys1983 said:

But the 5-4-1 is used against sides where they feel we are underdogs, unfortunately our management team have no clue how to break down the Killies the livi's etc. that's where we are totally flawed. 

That'd maybe hold water if Killie sat in yesterday, they played us off the park and could easily have won by 5 or 6.

Our management team have no clue in general.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Schapenneuker said:

My belief is that Cormack has too much to lose personally to go firing another manager. His ego won't allow him to be seen as a figure of derision that is dragging the club down by making hopeless choices. 

And so we'll plough on with Robson, hoping that somehow he can turn it around. Expectations will be dampened, and we when we end the season 8th excuses will be made that this was a difficult, transitional season with a new squad and a tough schedule. 

The only thing that may change that would be if the players lose all belief in Robson (and there were signs of that yesterday as heads went down) and we have a horrendous set of results a la Jim Goodwin. 

But otherwise I suspect we're buckling down for the long haul, for good or bad. 

If the club are data driven like they claim to be, he'll be sacked as the underlying numbers suggest that there is no hope.  When Glass was manager, despite the poor results those numbers were encouraging, sadly he was unable to turn it around and was rightly sacked but now in this situation Robson is far worse, we give up too many chances and create a lot less too, sticking with him could see us in a proper relegation fight.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Pat_Nevin said:

It was deemed beyond salvageable last season under Goodwin, look how that worked out.

IMO The players were happy with the change and the results showed that , then they gradually fell under the spell of another poor manager and the results are now also reflecting that.

14 hours ago, DelMonte said:

I just don’t get what his whole idea of football is.

It’s a clear instruction to go long. Why are we doing that with a squad with players like McGrath, Barron, Clarkson and Polvara who are capable of playing through the lines. 

The RCB and LCB never step out with the ball either, they’ll either lump it long or look for their full back who receives the ball facing the wrong way and can’t do anything with it. Gartermann today had an easy pass but his first thought was go long, by the time he processed this he lost the ball. 

The whole structure to build attacks is completely missing. If we were losing games trying to pass out from the back I dare say I could forgive it but losing playing this brand of football means he has to go tomorrow. We can’t keep it going, it won’t improve at this stage. 

Exactly this. I can just about live with losing to Killie if you can see what we are trying to do and playing well. What I can’t accept is shite like yesterday. Some of us called this out months ago. None of us are happy about this or taking the morale high ground it was just obvious the manager is tactical inept. Now we are all but out the cup we actually had a chance of winning with a decent manager. No chance he gets the bullet if we lose to Motherwell. So we are stuck with him for another embarrassment. 

1 hour ago, minijc said:

If the club are data driven like they claim to be, he'll be sacked as the underlying numbers suggest that there is no hope.  When Glass was manager, despite the poor results those numbers were encouraging, sadly he was unable to turn it around and was rightly sacked but now in this situation Robson is far worse, we give up too many chances and create a lot less too, sticking with him could see us in a proper relegation fight.

I don’t think we are data driven on the park or he wouldn’t have been appointed it in the first place. I’d like to know why we have ditched our philosophy too.