Should He Stay Or Should He Go Now?

You've Got To Let Me Know  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Should He Stay Or Should He Go?

• You Cant Keep Sacking Managers
    • Fire Him Aff The Fucking Roof

Just now, slippers said:

Exactly this. I can just about live with losing to Killie if you can see what we are trying to do and playing well. What I can’t accept is shite like yesterday. Some of us called this out months ago. None of us are happy about this or taking the morale high ground it was just obvious the manager is tactical inept. Now we all but our cup we actually had a chance of winning with a decent manager. No chance he gets the bullet if we lose to Motherwell. So we are stuck with him for another embarrassment. 

You know what will happen. We'll lose to Motherwell, PAOK, Celtic, huns, HJK and Hibs (in the league) but will beat Hibs at Hampden and that'll be Cormacks excuse to keep him in the job... because he got us to a cup final.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tord31 said:

There is an argument that the season is still salvageable? Depends what the targets are?

Of course the season is still salvageable. 

We can still finish 3rd, although it'd be miles behind the top 2. 

We were always unlikely to progress from the European group stage but we could very well still get 2 wins (not with Robsonball though). 

The cups are also both winnable (again, not with Robsonball). 

So the season is far from a write-off. The longer it takes to punt Robson though, the harder salvaging it will be.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If I could at least see what he's trying to achieve, I would happily give him more time, at least one more transfer window, to fully flesh out his vision. However, the players look lost out on the pitch, like they don't understand instructions - and their lagging fitness is inexcusable. Professional athletes in the prime of their careers should not be struggling like this, but they've looked off the pace all season, which begs the question; what the hell do they work on at these new 'state of the art' training facilities?

With all that said, as much as Robson is out of his depth, his job has been made much harder by the fact the Club failed to appoint a DoF to guide him. This is a position that should have been filled when Glass and Brown were appointed, but instead we have errand boy Gunn. No disrespect to him, I'm sure he does his best, but he's not a football man. Cormack has to step up and accept he's got it wrong. We've spent millions on players that rarely, if ever, play for the first team, yet have taken the cheap option THREE TIMES now with perhaps the most important role of all, the first team manager. No more. Even if he needs to bust the budget, he has to get a competent manager in, who knows what the hell they are doing. 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We were always unlikely to progress from the European group stage but we could very well still get 2 wins (not with Robsonball though). 

So the season is far from a write-off. The longer it takes to punt Robson though, the harder salvaging it will be.

Exactly my point, if we stick with this nonsense until next year we'll likely be out of all cups and in a relegation battle.

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Just now, NEM said:

Exactly my point, if we stick with this nonsense until next year we'll likely be out of all cups and in a relegation battle.

League Cup Semi (and the result in the other semi) is going to be fairly pivotal in terms of how people are feeling?

Many over the years would argue that Silverware plus any outcome in the other two comps is success

2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

Shinnie is capable of a decent 15 min or so spell in most games but at the level that we aspire to be at, Shinnie is done, and I said that back in Jan. Yards off it. Nostalgic signing by Cormack, as was Hayes, and we need to get away from that type of retrospective signing.

Regarding Rama, it’s all very well speculating to accumulate but to let him go for only £1m was an ill thought out strategy and to not replace him? Madness 

That's just rubbish

Shinnie has had plenty of great games

The problem is with no other option

Even a younger player, in his role, would not perform at 100% 2 games in a week

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

League Cup Semi (and the result in the other semi) is going to be fairly pivotal in terms of how people are feeling?

Many over the years would argue that Silverware plus any outcome in the other two comps is success

We're losing on Saturday with the clown in charge, nothing surer.  Why always wait until after the event to act?  It's high time the board were proactive in their approach.

As for your second point I'd certainly not be taking a relegation to win a tinpot league cup

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, NEM said:

We're losing on Saturday with the clown in charge, nothing surer.  Why always wait until after the event to act?  It's high time the board were proactive in their approach.

As for your second point I'd certainly not be taking a relegation to win a tinpot league cup

I'm more hopeful for Saturday

12 minutes ago, Millertime said:

That's just rubbish

Shinnie has had plenty of great games

The problem is with no other option

Even a younger player, in his role, would not perform at 100% 2 games in a week

Spot on.  Shinnie has played well in games this season - the problem is the 5-3-2 that Robson is wedded to asks too much of the central midfielders, and is easily exploited by the opposition.  It is no surprise that our most praised performances have been when we've went with a 5-4-1.

It's a bad combination of poor tactics and poor recruitment.

50 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Not with Robson, and some of the underperforming pansies in this team. 

2 hours ago, minijc said:

If the club are data driven like they claim to be, he'll be sacked as the underlying numbers suggest that there is no hope.  When Glass was manager, despite the poor results those numbers were encouraging, sadly he was unable to turn it around and was rightly sacked but now in this situation Robson is far worse, we give up too many chances and create a lot less too, sticking with him could see us in a proper relegation fight.

100% agree Mini.

As an aside watched Southampton game at game and they looked good, particularly in first half. 

Russell Martin seems to be hell bent in sticking to his possession based principles, which he accepts will have set backs as the team develops.

Nonetheless the product was good to watch and they are winning as well.

Compared to Robson's tactics which are apparently highly reliant on long balls it isn't very surprising that we continually lose the ball, and many games as a consequence. 

Hopefully Cormack wakens up soon an realises that he has made another error. 

We need to be looking now (if we weren't already) for an experienced manager. I don't care if its disrespectful to Robson but we need those discussions and have that experienced manager already to sign on the dotted line and then put Robson into the back of a taxi and wheel him out of Pittodrie.

I actually have faith in the majority of the squad, but the manager's persistence with hoofball blows my fucking mind.

32 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

100% agree Mini.

As an aside watched Southampton game at game and they looked good, particularly in first half. 

Russell Martin seems to be hell bent in sticking to his possession based principles, which he accepts will have set backs as the team develops.

Nonetheless the product was good to watch and they are winning as well.

Compared to Robson's tactics which are apparently highly reliant on long balls it isn't very surprising that we continually lose the ball, and many games as a consequence. 

Hopefully Cormack wakens up soon an realises that he has made another error. 

I'm not a huge fan of possession based football, especially in the way Man City, Barca and some other big clubs play, I find it boring and in my opinion it doesn't really work our level as we don't have the money to attract the types of players who can play it.

I would prefer a sustainable approach, one that doesn't rely heavily on spending millions and having every player need special supplements to play that type of football for 90mins every single week. 

There's a fine balance and it should change game to game depending on the opposition, at home we should be dominating the ball more, however depending how the opposition approach us there's nothing wrong with going counter attacking.  What I don't want to see is us playing against much weaker sides and lining up the way we did against Frankfurt, that's an utter disgrace.

My biggest concern right now is that when things started to fail for McInnes, Glass and Goodwin they all attempted 3/5 at the back, Robson gets the job then starts playing that despite spending years with the youths rarely ever playing that way.  So is that Gunn or Cormack's idea to play 3/5 at the back, if it is, why?  Do they only see use being able to achieve what they want by using that specific formation?

I don't mind a 3/5 at the back in the slightest providing you've got the players and it allows them to play to their strengths, under Robson that hasn't been the case for several players and it really stifles them.  It probably shows how good Miovski is that he's adapted and coped even though he is not a target man, Duk and Clarkson done well to start with when Robson came in, now both look a shadow of that, so something has to change.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, DandyWarhol said:

Spot on.  Shinnie has played well in games this season - the problem is the 5-3-2 that Robson is wedded to asks too much of the central midfielders, and is easily exploited by the opposition.  It is no surprise that our most praised performances have been when we've went with a 5-4-1.

I disagree. Shinnie, at 32, isn’t capable of playing the game the way he used to, between 2015-19. He’s not capable of getting up and down the park, getting in players’ faces, for anything more than 55 mins or so. And he got a 3 yr contract?

He needs to reinvent himself but he’s not a ball playing midfielder, that the defence could play the ball too. His only option is to revert to left back or possibly left wing back but not even sure he has the legs for that role either.

13 minutes ago, minijc said:

I'm not a huge fan of possession based football, especially in the way Man City, Barca and some other big clubs play, I find it boring and in my opinion it doesn't really work our level as we don't have the money to attract the types of players who can play it.

I would prefer a sustainable approach, one that doesn't rely heavily on spending millions and having every player need special supplements to play that type of football for 90mins every single week. 

There's a fine balance and it should change game to game depending on the opposition, at home we should be dominating the ball more, however depending how the opposition approach us there's nothing wrong with going counter attacking.  What I don't want to see is us playing against much weaker sides and lining up the way we did against Frankfurt, that's an utter disgrace.

My biggest concern right now is that when things started to fail for McInnes, Glass and Goodwin they all attempted 3/5 at the back, Robson gets the job then starts playing that despite spending years with the youths rarely ever playing that way.  So is that Gunn or Cormack's idea to play 3/5 at the back, if it is, why?  Do they only see use being able to achieve what they want by using that specific formation?

I don't mind a 3/5 at the back in the slightest providing you've got the players and it allows them to play to their strengths, under Robson that hasn't been the case for several players and it really stifles them.  It probably shows how good Miovski is that he's adapted and coped even though he is not a target man, Duk and Clarkson done well to start with when Robson came in, now both look a shadow of that, so something has to change.

The manager with any fucking luck. Although I suspect Cormack is too busy polishing his teeth and checking his ticker rate. 

Not got any snippets from inside the club about what their thoughts are on this? 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Fuck me, a very rational post, Parky min.👍

Keep it up.😄

8 hours ago, minijc said:

You make a lot of very valid points.

• Like 1

I think Dave Cormack is scared of Robson. 
Hardly heard a peep from him at all this season. 

Dave Cormack at Aberdeen is like RR & BM at Wrexham but without the glamour/documentary & actual results/progress 

when I say it’s like them though, I only mean as in he appears to know just as much about football(soccer) & running of a football (soccer)  club as they pair do but at least they’ve actually gotten folk in that do have some semblance of what is required 🤣

22 hours ago, DandyWarhol said:

Has to be a concern when it was completely negated in the first half by a big haddie up front and two bog standard wingers.