Aberdeen 2 - 0 Frankfurt

17 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

The commentator on my stream just said we haven’t lost to a German team since 1972

The fuck is he on about 

We haven’t lost to a German side at Pittodrie since Bertie Vogts and his Borussia Monchengladbach sausage molesters visited our fair city in 1972 I believe.  

This includes visits from Bayern Munich, Eintracht Frankfurt, Hamburg (twice) and Dynamo Berlin I believe. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

To be honest I thought we'd take a couple of big beatings in this group, certainly on the road.  New squad, built late in the window, stuttering domestically. 

That we've been generally competitive overall and also have a couple of what if stories is far better than I expected. 

Before it all started & seeing the group draw, I expected us to finish 3rd on 6 points 🤣

beating the 4th ranked shite team twice. Just like Hearts did.

We finished with points I expected but not the way I expected. 
Can view it as positive but also some serious negs in there. Such as failing to beat the worst team in it. Our saving grace (as far as points went) was in the final dead rubber game v a reserve side 

Honestly, we could have topped this group. The team that gave us the most bother was HJK at Pittodrie and they are mediocre, their keeper was amazing that night. Round of 16 would have been tough against three of the second placed sides, but there's a lot of comparable sides in Conference League to the Dons.

Next season we'll do better. Just need to start winning in the bloody LEAGUE!

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Footballs coming Rome said:

Difficult to defend like that for 90+mins without conceding. The style does leave us vulnerable. 

It does. Especially when the defence is far more consistently poor than good. Or made to look so by these tactics. We need far better group of defenders & mids in front of them for ‘Robsonball’ than we have. 

League form only makes it look worse as well.

8 minutes ago, TerryMcDermott said:

We haven’t lost to a German side at Pittodrie since Bertie Vogts and his Borussia Monchengladbach sausage molesters visited our fair city in 1972 I believe.  

This includes visits from Bayern Munich, Eintracht Frankfurt, Hamburg (twice) and Dynamo Berlin I believe. 

Gladbach 70s side was some team, min. Hennes Weisweiler was some manager.

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

To be honest I thought we'd take a couple of big beatings in this group, certainly on the road.  New squad, built late in the window, stuttering domestically. 

That we've been generally competitive overall and also have a couple of what if stories is far better than I expected. 

Agreed

Sadly, the attention seekers / liars(?) on here might not agree with you

I'm nowhere near being a BR fandan as things stand, but collectively we should be capable of enjoying that result 

SF

• Upvote 1

hang on, is this right:

huns are playing in seville tonight, where they were last beaten in the europa final against Eintracht Frankfurt, who Aberdeen beat 2-0 tonight with a team featured in the follow follow thread "Sheep resting most of team" ? a few days before hampden?

a couple of leg breaks against betis for sevco, and this is right up there with the funniest aberdeen days i can remember 

5 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Congratulations on your victory! From Frankfurt's point of view, it's really a strange game. It's just a good thing that it was basically a test game under competitive conditions. Looking at the entire group phase, it's amazing that we made it into the knockout round with our performance. Basically, unfortunately you only failed because of HJK. That's really crazy, you had your chances against paok, and against us too, but the games against the Finns cost you too much. Now it's time for you to play against the Rangers on Sunday! I wish you much success. I haven't followed the rangers but I know it feels good to win a final against them. And they know how it feels to lose one. I think it's time they got used to it 😉 win this thing on Sunday and then focus on the league. Tell your coach that you should have more courage in the game. Whenever you showed that, you had your chances, even in the first leg! Take care! 

You seem very knowledgable about us and the fact it's THE Rangers and not Rangers (coming from a foreigner).

Hmm.

• Upvote 1

Goal aside the first half was a tough watch. Second half we were so much improved. Strong in defence and dangerous going forward. Very impressive collective effort and our goals were a thing of beauty.

Full credit to all the players and Barry Robson tonight. Let's make this a perfect week and pump the Huns on Sunday.

7 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Congratulations on your victory! From Frankfurt's point of view, it's really a strange game. It's just a good thing that it was basically a test game under competitive conditions. Looking at the entire group phase, it's amazing that we made it into the knockout round with our performance. Basically, unfortunately you only failed because of HJK. That's really crazy, you had your chances against paok, and against us too, but the games against the Finns cost you too much. Now it's time for you to play against the Rangers on Sunday! I wish you much success. I haven't followed the rangers but I know it feels good to win a final against them. And they know how it feels to lose one. I think it's time they got used to it 😉 win this thing on Sunday and then focus on the league. Tell your coach that you should have more courage in the game. Whenever you showed that, you had your chances, even in the first leg! Take care! 

Nice work. 

• Thanks 1

When we are able to keep the ball for a reasonable period of time and mix that with quick balls over the top we are a hard team to play. 

Good result tonight, and gives us all a nice feeling heading in to Sunday. If we can do that tonight against them, no reason we can't do it at Hampden. 

Barron and Shaymo were very good, as was Polvara.

Should give them every confidence.