Aberdeen v Sevco - League Cup Final 2023

5 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

Australian pal of mine said, "sorry mate, but that was a bit shit" he was shocked at the standard on display. An Australian ffs!!

Funnily enough my sister has been away for a long time in Australia. She watched the cup final yesterday (she used to watch Aberdeen alot). She was stunned by how slow the game is, and how shite the standard is.

She has watched a few games now involving Scottish teams, she doesn't remember it ever being this bad and slow. 15 years she's been away (despite a few visits sporadically).

Derek Adams is spot on.

So the morning after and having calmed down from being ragin at that ginger bellend for his unforgivable interview I have a few thoughts. 

Firstly I genuinely think he got the team selection completely wrong and for me that was his biggest failing yesterday. Yes the tactics were the usual hoofball shite but Shinnie, Hayes, Clarkson shouldn’t have started for me. Personal of course but I think we look better with Dante, McGrath and Barron (don’t shoot me). Younger, fitter can close down spaces and win the battle to give us a bit more possession and control of the game. 

When I saw Johnny on that massive screen when the teams were getting read out my immediate reaction was “ahh feck” He’s been honkin recently and I was worried they would target him. To be honest he was exactly what I thought. Over the hill. Done. 

Miovski and Sokler up front. Up against two massive centre halves. Both absolute donkeys by the way. What do we do? Boot the ball up the park to them. Not even into channels. Just a boot up the park and hope one of them wins a header. 

It completely nullified any threat they offer. 

As much Robson speaks like a complete imbecile it’s his total lack of tactical nous that pisses me off. He’s not got a scooby. Not the faintest idea and if he says “transitions” anymore…

apologies got back on to ragin about him again! 

stand free! 

1 minute ago, milne_afc said:

If he wasn’t such a little freak and didn’t say Morecambe were 100x better, I’d have been in full agreement. I wish it was someone better who said it.

He's had the balls to say it... BUT yes, morecambe being 100 times better was the statement that made him a laughing stock.

It was a dreadful cup final to watch. No clue on the supposed penalties we could have had, haven't watched it back - outwith that, the fact we couldn't make Butland make a save in a Cup Final is just terrible to be honest. They weren't much better mind you - a lot of huffing and puffing from them and makes me wonder about the state of European fitba if they beat Betis and we beat Frankfurt!

Robson is all about work-rate and heart, it's fine to a point and can work at points with backs to the wall style wins, but for the most part the football and tactics are so basic and pretty much atrocious. To then praise Rangers in his interview is just the wrong mentality, if thats what hes telling the team and giving them too much respect then it's no surprise we lost - we've been this way as a club for years, and for him to say that is not in tune with the fans or what we want from this club.

Like many, doubt I have the energy for another full day going down to that and it's a shame because our fans are fantastic, the social club before hand was jumping, the fans sung their heart out and considering we were outnumbered by them, they were quiet in comparison. Wish we had the team and manager to match that.

5 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

It was a dreadful cup final to watch. No clue on the supposed penalties we could have had, haven't watched it back - outwith that, the fact we couldn't make Butland make a save in a Cup Final is just terrible to be honest. They weren't much better mind you - a lot of huffing and puffing from them and makes me wonder about the state of European fitba if they beat Betis and we beat Frankfurt!

Robson is all about work-rate and heart, it's fine to a point and can work at points with backs to the wall style wins, but for the most part the football and tactics are so basic and pretty much atrocious. To then praise Rangers in his interview is just the wrong mentality, if thats what hes telling the team and giving them too much respect then it's no surprise we lost - we've been this way as a club for years, and for him to say that is not in tune with the fans or what we want from this club.

Like many, doubt I have the energy for another full day going down to that and it's a shame because our fans are fantastic, the social club before hand was jumping, the fans sung their heart out and considering we were outnumbered by them, they were quiet in comparison. Wish we had the team and manager to match that.

You were in East Stand weren't you?

I knew we would get fuck all off dallas yesterday but that officiating was a disgrace. Denied two penalties but still doesn't excuse robsons horrendous tactics or that pathetic subservient interview.

I have had enough of watching this utter shite now. Not even one shot on target. Very very grim and as bad as its been to watch. 

Absolutely sick of it. 

To wallow in our misery/hopelessness, here's a list of cup final goals since 2000 onwards by teams other than huns/tims:

12 - Hearts

11 - Hibs

5 - Dundee Utd

4 - St Johnstone

3 - St Mirren, Inverness

2 - Ross County, Killie, Livi, Qos

1 - Falkirk, Gretna, Pars, Well, Dons

There just seems to be a loser culture ingrained in our club from the Milne era onwards

• Upvote 1

I always try and leave commenting on game like this until the light of day, as to not let passions get in the way.

Looking back, it was such a missed opportunity. They definitely weren't up to their best and we failed to capitalise on that, which is a common theme when it comes to cup finals. I feel we have become a club that bottles it on the big stage and that has been bred in by SFA and hun/tim sycophants like Milne and some of our previous managers. That 'siege' mentality we once had drilled into players, the ability to step up when it matters and get into the heads of opponents are long gone and when Robson post match is speaking about how we 'gave it a go', 'just fell short' and that Rangers had just beaten Real Betis, then psychologically we are done before a ball is kicked. We shouldn't have to be having a go and it doesnt matter that the minks beat Real Betis, we should be setting the standards that not winning isnt fucking acceptable.

The first 20 minutes of that game, I said to my dad we can take this lot if we step it up a notch... but we didn't really do that the whole match. Like with Goodwin and Glass, there is no plan B, no way to change a game when it starts going wrong and Im certain that Robson isn't the manager to fix that issue no matter how many games he is given. We have some good players, but Shinnie and Hayes are done, more so with Hayes, but Shinnie could be a bit part player that we use when needed. The fans can see this, but the manager perseveres and sticks to his guns because he has no plan B. He shook it up for Eintracht and that worked, but then went back to basics with the huns. 

Today it actually feels worse than it did yesterday. 

• Upvote 2
40 minutes ago, S2RDS said:

I always try and leave commenting on game like this until the light of day, as to not let passions get in the way.

Looking back, it was such a missed opportunity. They definitely weren't up to their best and we failed to capitalise on that, which is a common theme when it comes to cup finals. I feel we have become a club that bottles it on the big stage and that has been bred in by SFA and hun/tim sycophants like Milne and some of our previous managers. That 'siege' mentality we once had drilled into players, the ability to step up when it matters and get into the heads of opponents are long gone and when Robson post match is speaking about how we 'gave it a go', 'just fell short' and that Rangers had just beaten Real Betis, then psychologically we are done before a ball is kicked. We shouldn't have to be having a go and it doesnt matter that the minks beat Real Betis, we should be setting the standards that not winning isnt fucking acceptable.

The first 20 minutes of that game, I said to my dad we can take this lot if we step it up a notch... but we didn't really do that the whole match. Like with Goodwin and Glass, there is no plan B, no way to change a game when it starts going wrong and Im certain that Robson isn't the manager to fix that issue no matter how many games he is given. We have some good players, but Shinnie and Hayes are done, more so with Hayes, but Shinnie could be a bit part player that we use when needed. The fans can see this, but the manager perseveres and sticks to his guns because he has no plan B. He shook it up for Eintracht and that worked, but then went back to basics with the huns. 

Today it actually feels worse than it did yesterday. 

I read this as though the words in red were a code. Have not cracked it yet. 

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Agree with most of that but ‘stepping it up a notch ‘ is a bit whimsical. We were struggling to pass at the pace we were playing at never mind trying to do it quicker.

It’s entirely down to personnel and tactics. 

How many times Clarkson just booted the ball away. 

I read our pass completion was 56%. Embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

I read this as though the words in red were a code. Have not cracked it yet. 

Aye what was that about haha - I have no idea why some of that came out in red when I posted it. Good idea though, will try and squeeze in code for Robson is a useless bastard in my next post 🤣

12 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Agree with most of that but ‘stepping it up a notch ‘ is a bit whimsical. We were struggling to pass at the pace we were playing at never mind trying to do it quicker.

It’s entirely down to personnel and tactics. 

Aye that's fair - I think after 20 mins though I thought we were doing okay, hence the notch, but things got progressively worse from then on. 

17 hours ago, Roberto said:

As a side note our fans are absolutely fucking shit.

The audacity of folk to have a pop about the Ultras. Only cunts that sing. Rest was a fucking morque. Should be ashamed of themselves that, this is the performance from fans in a cup final. Useless cunts. 

The fans where I was in the East were fantastic.

Anybody having a go at the Ref is letting Robson off with murder. Maybe hit a really poor Rangers side on the break isn’t a tactic. So many questions about our actual team selection.

No Vegan sausage rolls to be found anywhere yesterday.

Did see some boy get absolutely sparked out with a beautiful punch at full time, which was something.

5 wins before the break or it’s over for Robson, and there’s nothing to suggest he’ll manage that.

4 minutes ago, Roberto said:

@dave_min I didn't manage to grace your presence.

I was in Glencairn where i presume you were but in the 'body of the kirk' was fucking melting pot so went outside mostly.

Lovely sight of sick... won't name names.

Missed opportunity my man.

Our mutual associate was in fine form all day. Sometimes you just gotta be sick.

2 minutes ago, dave_min said:

The fans where I was in the East were fantastic.

Anybody having a go at the Ref is letting Robson off with murder. Maybe hit a really poor Rangers side on the break isn’t a tactic. So many questions about our actual team selection.

No Vegan sausage rolls to be found anywhere yesterday.

Did see some boy get absolutely sparked out with a beautiful punch at full time, which was something.

5 wins before the break or it’s over for Robson, and there’s nothing to suggest he’ll manage that.

Dons fan on Dons fan?

East Stand was class. Was envious watching them back the team and sing proudly.