Aberdeen vs Motherwell (postponed)

8 minutes ago, ab24_5qh said:

The club statement made it clear the pitch was playable so we made the journey. The A90 was closed for about 1.5 hours before the game was postponed. At the point the game was postponed the weather in Aberdeenshire was getting better, not worse. It was either a late decision or the wrong decision to call it.

It was about 4 hours before kick off

If I was going to go to this match tonight, I wouldn't have left my house as it was far from 100% it was on

Ps - the pitch probably was and still is playable 

So what?

5 minutes ago, S2RDS said:

No, councils get a budget from the central government and then decide how that is distributed. I definitely dont work for the council but Im not naive to expect crumbling buildings to be maintained, old schools and old roads to be all shiny and new when there has been a reduction in budgets. People still want all the same services, with no increase to their council tax, yet councils like every other business has increased costs for maintenance etc. Probably not a convo for this thread, just making a point that this decision doesnt lay solely at the council's feet. 

For what is worth, I live in Aberdeen. 

Has the SNP/Scottish governments budget not been cut by the ‘grand master’ UK government? 🤷

you just keep towing the party line & lay blame on the middleman 😉

• Like 1

I thought it was the wrong call to postpone Saturday's game. 

But it was the right call to postpone tonight's game. As soon as roads were getting flooded and closed around the city this afternoon and trees were falling onto roads in and around the city it was never going to happen.   Game should have been played on Boxing Day at 3pm in any case but that's a different argument. 

Hopefully we'll get the game on Saturday but early weather reports for Saturday don't look too promising either!!! 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Millertime said:

It was about 4 hours before kick off

If I was going to go to this match tonight, I wouldn't have left my house as it was far from 100% it was on

Ps - the pitch probably was and still is playable 

So what?

If the cheif exec goes to effort of making a public statement that the pitch and stadium are fine then I was confident the game would go ahead......if only I had your wisdom :(

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

I thought it was the wrong call to postpone Saturday's game. 

But it was the right call to postpone tonight's game. As soon as roads were getting flooded and closed around the city this afternoon and trees were falling onto roads in and around the city it was never going to happen.   Game should have been played on Boxing Day at 3pm in any case but that's a different argument. 

Hopefully we'll get the game on Saturday but early weather reports for Saturday don't look too promising either!!! 

Why should it have been played on Boxing Day (at short notice to change because of weather?) & not just gone ahead tonight as Motherwell team had arrived & it could have just been played as a ‘closed door’ type game.

Easy to use hindsight now but what justification can be used to say ‘it should have been played on Boxing Day’? Rather than today

Boxing day games are just as shite as the day after Boxing Day games 🤣

Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

Why should it have been played on Boxing Day (at short notice to change because of weather?) & not just gone ahead tonight as Motherwell team had arrived & it could have just been played as a ‘closed door’ type game.

Easy to use hindsight now but what justification can be used to say ‘it should have been played on Boxing Day’? Rather than today

Boxing day games are just as shite as the day after Boxing Day games 🤣

I think games should be played on Boxing Day at 3pm rather than on the 27th at 7.45pm.  People enjoy going to games on Boxing Day in the afternoon and attendances generally get a boost. 

That statement wasn't weather related. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, S2RDS said:

I know plenty of hard working council workers chucking in 50-60 hour weeks. Just because you have a guy up the road who sounds lazy, doesn’t speak for all council workers. 

The state of the roads are primarily due to cuts in services, as funding from the central government aka the shitbag SNP, are getting to be almost non existent. They brag about freezing council tax while local councils still try and offer services, pay wages while trying to retain staff in a market where wage increases are becoming more common. All that being said, main trunk roads are not operated by the council and are operated and maintained by the likes of Bear. The council gets a shit rep, and sometimes deserved, but you can blame a shoddy fucking run Scottish Parliament for a lot of the crap that’s going on. 

If they are so underfunded and things are so grim it makes you wonder what your pals are doing to fill their 60 hour week. 

• Dildo 1
6 minutes ago, perthshirered said:

If they are so underfunded and things are so grim it makes you wonder what your pals are doing to fill their 60 hour week. 

Because they are still needing to offer the services. Buildings are falling apart, so they have more call outs and more maintenance to carry out on old buildings. Take storm Arwen, my mate worked almost 24 hours trying to scramble generators and food for a care home in the shire that lost power. The building is old, hasnt been upgraded and the council cant just buy thousands of generators just in case. Any underfunded business, costs a lot of time and work to patch it up. 

5 minutes ago, S2RDS said:

Because they are still needing to offer the services. Buildings are falling apart, so they have more call outs and more maintenance to carry out on old buildings. Take storm Arwen, my mate worked almost 24 hours trying to scramble generators and food for a care home in the shire that lost power. The building is old, hasnt been upgraded and the council cant just buy thousands of generators just in case. Any underfunded business, costs a lot of time and work to patch it up. 

Your Fae Aberdeen though. One of the worst run councils in the land, you can blame the SNP for a lot of things but the shambles up there isn't one of them. 

18 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Badly handled as youth player

He admits himself he didn’t try hard enough when he was with us, it’s nothing to do with being badly handled, he had an attitude whilst in the youth team and the best thing that happened to him was being released by us and then it dawned on him he needed to be more professional. 

4 minutes ago, ullevi said:

He admits himself he didn’t try hard enough when he was with us, it’s nothing to do with being badly handled, he had an attitude whilst in the youth team and the best thing that happened to him was being released by us and then it dawned on him he needed to be more professional. 

You're not familiar with Milne's work, are you? 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, S2RDS said:

I know plenty of hard working council workers chucking in 50-60 hour weeks. Just because you have a guy up the road who sounds lazy, doesn’t speak for all council workers. 

The state of the roads are primarily due to cuts in services, as funding from the central government aka the shitbag SNP, are getting to be almost non existent. They brag about freezing council tax while local councils still try and offer services, pay wages while trying to retain staff in a market where wage increases are becoming more common. All that being said, main trunk roads are not operated by the council and are operated and maintained by the likes of Bear. The council gets a shit rep, and sometimes deserved, but you can blame a shoddy fucking run Scottish Parliament for a lot of the crap that’s going on. 

So presumably everything is hunky dory in England which doesn't have the Snp?

• Dildo 2