Aberdeen 0 - 3 St Mirren

12 hours ago, JamieMT said:

Listened to Barry Robson's post-match interviews with both the club & BBC. The arrogance was missing, though the cliches & excuses remained.

Felt he threw the players under the bus a little in that he made the performance & defeat all about them, whilst accepting no responsibility himself.

But what really stood out was the lack of conviction when asked about his future and turning things around. He's saying the words, but he doesn't appear to believe them.

When a manager reaches this stage, the end is imminent. Previously thought he'd muddle on till around March time, but i've a feeling he needs a result in Dingwall on Tuesday. And if he doesn't get it he won't be in the dugout for the Clyde game.

This has got shades of what happened in the Scottish cup last season. would not surprise me if we get horsed out by Clyde.

Will be interesting what he does in Dingwall. Pretty obvious to me we need MacDonald in at defence. I’d play Milne alongside MacDonald. McGarry, Gartenman and others dropped. However as he’s a stubborn twat he will most likely stick with same defence. Shinnie should also get a severe bollocking for that performance or dropped to the bench but can’t see a replacement for him in the squad. 

Robson has mostly played the same 3 at the back all season and they have managed to leak 29 goals in 17 games playing that 3 still with that record is a sacking offence alone. Macdonald who is a leader and clearly the best defender at the club cannot get a game when it is clear to all he should be. The guy Garterman for example is so bad it is unbelievable he plays every week. This 3 imploded against PAOK when 2-0 up with 15 minutes to go they shipped 6 at Celtic and they were still playing when we shipped 3 Yesterday

I'm not going with the McGarry hate. Yes, he had a poor game but the entire team did and he had nothing to work with because there was nothing in front of him. 

Someone saying Clarkson was like a 5th defender at times; did anyone notice how often he was the furthest back man getting the ball passed sideways/back to him from one of the centrebacks?? That was blowing my mind...

I think the anti-football that Robson has us playing is making the players look terrible; with some exceptions (there is absolutely no excuse for Shinnie being caught on the ball 3 times on the trot) but say Gartenmann looked good early on... he's not become shit suddenly.

It's pointless to say it but might as well to do. I'd be going for a 4 at the back with McGarry on the left, One of the middle 2 being McDonald and the other being Jensen or Ruby or Gartenmann. Rotate and see how their form is. Right back is still Devlin. The guy is doing a lot with not very much so deserves the spot still. On the left you have Jensen or McKenzie and on the right, Milne seems surprisingly decent. 

Shinnie has to "be used sparingly" now because OR his role has to change to a sitting deep lying midfielder. He's no box to box midfielder, he doesn't have the legs to harry all over the midfield but if someone tells him he doesn't have the legs to run around like a neep AND plays him in the right position I still think he has something for us. 

Polvara needs to be the run around like a neep player because he's younger, stronger (what he lacked last season) and has some cracking ball skills at times. Then I'd be looking at McGrath and Morris (yes Morris) to get into wide and forward areas. 

Miovski obviously up front always and Duk and Sokler to partner him. 

Pape we've no idea, I'm not writing him off yet. He looks like a player that needs a pre-season with us to gel. If we're lucky. 

Besuijen maybe if he gets a manager who trusts him might be able to do a job but obviously neither of the last two managers have which is weird.

I still think - for all the shit results - that we have a good squad. We just need a manager who understands how to use them, get the best out of them and who knows how to fucking play football. Jesus wept... Robson you utter shitcunt. Calm... calm...

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, torry_battery_ram said:

The matches against PAOK, HJK Helsinki and Eintracht Frankfurt would suggest we do have capable players but our hoofball tactics are awful to watch.

I don't think the squad look capable of battling and scrapping for points which is a must in our piss poor league.

Come on. They are a poor team that we made look good. 

• Upvote 5
2 hours ago, Aldo said:

Get rid of Barry Robson bring in a hard nosed Scandanavian Manger kjetil Knutsen or bk Haken  manager Squad needs some players hunted  , hopefully go back in for tonic teklic , bring big pollock back on loan with option to buy get Danny Armstrong from Kilmarnock , Cormack get the cheque book out 

It's that easy.

A few teams play 3 at the back in our league but what invariably happens is they push their attacking midfielder up against our middle centre back and their 2 strikers up against our wide centre backs creating a 3 on 3 situation and our defenders are constantly under pressure. 

Meanwhile we seem to always end up with our 2 strikers up against their 5 defenders when we try to get forward. Happens time and time again. Hacken cracked it early in the season and others have copied it to great success. 

Largely because our 3 in the middle are ineffective and sitting too deep and unable to get a grip on the game. They also struggle to compete physically in most games.

All teams do is isolate our 2 strikers between their defensive and midfield lines and wait for us to run out of ideas and launch the ball forward thereby recovering possession easily. 

We've tried changing the midfield set up 3 or 4 times and that has rarely worked so the only answer with existing personnel is to change to a back 4.

The stubbornness to change formation is the most infuriating thing, we've had loads of time to try something different but we refuse to do it. 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, a don in oz said:

I'm not going with the McGarry hate. Yes, he had a poor game but the entire team did and he had nothing to work with because there was nothing in front of him. 

Someone saying Clarkson was like a 5th defender at times; did anyone notice how often he was the furthest back man getting the ball passed sideways/back to him from one of the centrebacks?? That was blowing my mind...

I think the anti-football that Robson has us playing is making the players look terrible; with some exceptions (there is absolutely no excuse for Shinnie being caught on the ball 3 times on the trot) but say Gartenmann looked good early on... he's not become shit suddenly.

It's pointless to say it but might as well to do. I'd be going for a 4 at the back with McGarry on the left, One of the middle 2 being McDonald and the other being Jensen or Ruby or Gartenmann. Rotate and see how their form is. Right back is still Devlin. The guy is doing a lot with not very much so deserves the spot still. On the left you have Jensen or McKenzie and on the right, Milne seems surprisingly decent. 

Shinnie has to "be used sparingly" now because OR his role has to change to a sitting deep lying midfielder. He's no box to box midfielder, he doesn't have the legs to harry all over the midfield but if someone tells him he doesn't have the legs to run around like a neep AND plays him in the right position I still think he has something for us. 

Polvara needs to be the run around like a neep player because he's younger, stronger (what he lacked last season) and has some cracking ball skills at times. Then I'd be looking at McGrath and Morris (yes Morris) to get into wide and forward areas. 

Pape we've no idea, I'm not writing him off yet. He looks like a player that needs a pre-season with us to gel. If we're lucky. 

Besuijen maybe if he gets a manager who trusts him might be able to do a job but obviously neither of the last two managers have which is weird.

I still think - for all the shit results - that we have a good squad. We just need a manager who understands how to use them, get the best out of them and who knows how to fucking play football. Jesus wept... Robson you utter shitcunt. Calm... calm...

This, also seemed to be hurtling back into the back line as an auxiliary CB whenever the opposition stole the ball back. This is coming straight from the manager/coaches. 

Bizarre use of an obviously talented midfielder.

5 minutes ago, ahead on alphabet said:

This, also seemed to be hurtling back into the back line as an auxiliary CB whenever the opposition stole the ball back. This is coming straight from the manager/coaches. 

Bizarre use of an obviously talented midfielder.

It's mental (and I should have said 6th defender). Do not understand it. No idea why Robson thinks taking one of our best ball players and making him go deep all the time to then hoof the ball up the park is a way to play.

That to me is symptomatic of why he needs to go. He's tactically inept. That and he's not learning from mistakes. It's the same playbook. 5 at the back. 60th minute 2 or 3 subs, NO MATTER WHAT. As some of you said we were actually beginning to play and were on top... and he changed it. What? WHY? Change when you have to ffs, not just because its certain time o'clock. 

6 minutes ago, a don in oz said:

It's mental (and I should have said 6th defender). Do not understand it. No idea why Robson thinks taking one of our best ball players and making him go deep all the time to then hoof the ball up the park is a way to play.

That to me is symptomatic of why he needs to go. He's tactically inept. That and he's not learning from mistakes. It's the same playbook. 5 at the back. 60th minute 2 or 3 subs, NO MATTER WHAT. As some of you said we were actually beginning to play and were on top... and he changed it. What? WHY? Change when you have to ffs, not just because its certain time o'clock. 

Robinson played us like a fiddle at the subs. 

As soon as we made our 3 crazy changes he immediately took off the big lad up front and changed him with a smaller quicker striker as he knew they would catch us on the break in behind as we piled players forward on search of an equaliser. 

10 minutes ago, RUL said:

It’s not an argument to say because everyone else is slow and boring that we should be excited about Morris running about crossing the ball straight to the opposition 

It's not an argument to say Morris crosses the ball straight at the opposition when he's much improved and had some assists.(2, I think 😅)

Still our most exciting player which is kinda the point about how shite the rest are and him undeserved of criticism at times.

46 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

A few teams play 3 at the back in our league but what invariably happens is they push their attacking midfielder up against our middle centre back and their 2 strikers up against our wide centre backs creating a 3 on 3 situation and our defenders are constantly under pressure. 

Meanwhile we seem to always end up with our 2 strikers up against their 5 defenders when we try to get forward. Happens time and time again. Hacken cracked it early in the season and others have copied it to great success. 

Largely because our 3 in the middle are ineffective and sitting too deep and unable to get a grip on the game. They also struggle to compete physically in most games.

All teams do is isolate our 2 strikers between their defensive and midfield lines and wait for us to run out of ideas and launch the ball forward thereby recovering possession easily. 

We've tried changing the midfield set up 3 or 4 times and that has rarely worked so the only answer with existing personnel is to change to a back 4.

The stubbornness to change formation is the most infuriating thing, we've had loads of time to try something different but we refuse to do it. 

What do you expect when you appoint a manager, not an inexperienced one, but one with ZERO experience?

Did Cormack really think it would ever work with Robson? I don’t think he did, but he caved in to the fucking idiots, who thought Robson WAS the man to take us forward - he shat it, basically. Showed zero leadership abilities.

46 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

See most of you talk about how shite Morris is but he's the one exciting player in our team most games he comes on.

We are crying out for an attacking winger/midfielder and he IS.

Morris is an indication of how awful we are under Robson.

Excitement from Morris is wondering whether he’ll manage to pass to feet 5 yards away, or whether when he kicks and rushes he doesn’t kick the ball right out of play.

He has pace and luck.

Zero skill and the footballing brain of a rock.

Exciting though……

• Upvote 2

We lack a midfielder who can exploit and run into space. Everytime it's take a touch, stop, go backwards or side ways but pass the ball. Ross Mccrorie always tried to drive forward through the middle, not always successful but drew defenders away and out of position. People talk about Ramadani but a McCrorie type player is missing too.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

We lack a midfielder who can exploit and run into space. Everytime it's take a touch, stop, go backwards or side ways but pass the ball. Ross Mccrorie always tried to drive forward through the middle, not always successful but drew defenders away and out of position. People talk about Ramadani but a McCrorie type player is missing too.

This is quite obviously a tactic drummed into the players by Robson / Agnew. That and Clarkson deepest midfielder to ping long balls.

Horrible to watch, ineffective in its execution.

2 hours ago, a don in oz said:

Derek Adams, has sparked Ross county in to getting decent results. 

34 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

Nah, I'm not having that. We've got players like Clarkson, Barron and even Polvara who are capable of doing that. 

It's the formation and tactics that completely neuter us. 

• Upvote 1

Shinnie is getting found out now because he's not getting a free kick every time he falls over any more. For the past year or so that's been his answer every time he's on the ball and under pressure - just fall over and get a free kick. Refs have obviously wised up to it and he was caught out about 3 or 4 times yesterday trying to do that. Makes him a bit of a liability because if he gets robbed of possession it's usually in our own half.

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Johnnyred1 said:

I don't think it's that at all. Yes I think both Ramadani and McCrorie were underrated by us (how unusual...) but the reason we're not having that this season is because of Robson's tactics. 

McGrath, Clarkson and Polvara have all shown they can do that this season. Shinnie is the odd one out of our midfielders hasn't done that or the touch, stop go back or sideways.... he's just run around like a headless chicken chasing players and balls.