Cormack Thread

7 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The question is, with his lack of a football background, would you want him to be largely responsible for hiring SG’s replacement, assuming (& hoping) he’s gone soon?

Because that’ll be in his remit. 

Yeah I think Cormack should have split the football administration and the football operation functions so that a football person was directly reporting into him as well as Gunn. 

Did anyone see the snippet from the Falkirk Q&A in front of a live audience? The question that was asked is one that could be levelled entirely at us. The chairman's response to that question is slightly embarrassing ?. I think Mr Cormack should do a live version completely unscripted and let's see how well he comes out of that one. Probably mention "I love Rowies" and get the fanboys right beside him. 

46 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

It depends what the director of football role is,

For me I'd have the job spec,  liaising with the manager over, what targets are for season,  how the teams at all levels are structured,. Helping to co ordinate and identify scouts, 

Discussion over player budgets, the recruitment of players, and the director of football,  being the one to negotiate player terms, 

Opposition reports etc, should be organised by the dof, 

Suspensions appeals  and discipline signed off by him,

A figure with experience as a coach, manager , who has conducted transfers before, someone with a name in the game who can have a respected reputation,

A figure head for the club , who will deal with media duties, if manager unavailable.

He also needs to be the conduit between the board and manager, and a sounding board for the manager or head coach,

He also needs to have a say in the appointment of the head coach

All the above , bar the last sentence ,don't cry out that peely waaly fucker Gunn to me

So essentially you want Craig Levein? 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yeah I think Cormack should have split the football administration and the football operation functions so that a football person was directly reporting into him as well as Gunn. 

Agreed.

Maybe I’m being harsh on Gunn, he’s possibly a very good administrator, but I’m not sure I’d want him being the one producing a short list of managers/coaches for Dave Cormack. 

2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Agreed.

Maybe I’m being harsh on Gunn, he’s possibly a very good administrator, but I’m not sure I’d want him being the one producing a short list of managers/coaches for Dave Cormack. 

The amount of posters on here seem to think they know who the next new manager should be, but hopefully Gunn may have the some better ideas, as none of the suggestions so far are that inspiring and he will be aware of them anyway 

2 minutes ago, cruickc2 said:

The amount of posters on here seem to think they know who the next new manager should be, but hopefully Gunn may have the some better ideas, as none of the suggestions so far are that inspiring and he will be aware of them anyway 

That's the whole point of a forum such as this though isn't it?  To comment on the performance of the club and the team and offer opinions. 

Sometimes the fans will be right, sometimes they will be wrong. 

Most have been right about Gurr and Jenks for example. And they currently appear to be right about the Glass appointment to be fair. 

31 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

That's the whole point of a forum such as this though isn't it?  To comment on the performance of the club and the team and offer opinions. 

Most have been right about Gurr and Jenks for example. And they currently appear to be right about the Glass appointment to be fair. 

Time will tell as that's what he is going to get from Dave by the look of things...

IMO he's already written this season off as a transition period and will back Glass in the next 2 windows to try and sort it with a view to get it right next season. 

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

It's hard to say that as yet, I agree. It does concern me though that we've appointed someone who appears to be completely unqualified. 

Hopefully he steps up and does a great job, however the fact he was appointed after the manager suggests that he's not been given the power the DoF rule should command anyway. 

I agree, it’s hard to say for definite as yet.

I hope Gunn is a roaring success in the role of DoF. By all accounts, a decent chap and one of those fekkers that would need about 3 people to replace if they weren’t around.

But, it’s a huge remit, per AFC. 
https://www.afc.co.uk/2021/05/20/dons-appoint-director-of-football/

Rob Wicks has a big role too, but it feels like Gunn has much more day to day moving parts to keep an eye on and Wicks is a seasoned pro who’s experienced life elsewhere.

I quite like the fact we didn’t go down the old pals ex player / manager route for the DoF role, but the flip side is that Gunn has managed to reach his 40s and has only had one employer, AFC. Not exactly worldly experience, and I’d question if he’s got the right experience for player / agent negotiations, especially with some of the slippery leeches that  operate there. Up until 3-4 years ago, I’d only really heard his name in the context of logistics of getting the team to Kazakhstan etc.

I’d say he is another “emerging talent” in a crucial role. That might suit DC. Easier to have him toe the line, less ego in the way, and another guy just grateful for the step up into a massive role.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

That’s essentially the point of the forum but fans or people in general can be pretty blinkered in their views 

7 minutes ago, Watson Oh The Bar! Scanlon Yes! said:

I hope Gunn is a roaring success in the role of DoF. By all accounts, a decent chap and one of those fekkers that would need about 3 people to replace if they weren’t around.

Rob Wicks has a big role too, but it feels like Gunn has much more day to day moving parts to keep an eye on and Wicks is a seasoned pro who’s experienced life elsewhere.

I quite like the fact we didn’t go down the old pals ex player / manager route for the DoF role, but the flip side is that Gunn has managed to reach his 40s and has only had one employer, AFC. Not exactly worldly experience, and I’d question if he’s got the right experience for player / agent negotiations, especially with some of the slippery leeches that  operate there. Up until 3-4 years ago, I’d only really heard his name in the context of logistics of getting the team to Kazakhstan etc.

I’d say he is another “emerging talent” in a crucial role. That might suit DC. Easier to have him toe the line, less ego in the way, and another guy just grateful for the step up into a massive role.

He will be a yes man for Colgate, he probably still sits down to pish

• Haha 1

I don't buy the whole one employer thing, I left school, joint my employer and have spent the last 36 years working offshore for that same employer but going by that argument I'm not experienced in offshore or worldly working. 

He has experience in the field he is employed in. He has been involved with Aberdeen for approx the last 20 odd years, (I believe since he was 18) doing every job by the sounds of it through the years, he probably knows more about the ins and outs of Aberdeen, Scottish football and football in general regarding players, managers etc than anyone on this forum put together but still some folk seem to think he s not experienced, couldn't identify a decent Manager candidate or right for the role.

7 minutes ago, cruickc2 said:

I don't buy the whole one employer thing, I left school, joint my employer and have spent the last 36 years working offshore for that same employer but going by that argument I'm not experienced in offshore or worldly working. 

He has experience in the field he is employed in. He has been involved with Aberdeen for approx the last 20 odd years, (I believe since he was 18) doing every job by the sounds of it through the years, he probably knows more about the ins and outs of Aberdeen, Scottish football and football in general regarding players, managers etc than anyone on this forum put together but still some folk seem to think he s not experienced, couldn't identify a decent Manager candidate or right for the role.

Away and fuck he might know all about the inner workings at Pittodrie, nae doubt where bodies are buried, but know MORE about AFC and Scottish football than the learned, sages that inahabit this forum , you ARE having a laugh, 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, cruickc2 said:

Time will tell as that's what he is going to get from Dave by the look of things...

IMO he's already written this season off as a transition period and will back Glass in the next 2 windows to try and sort it with a view to get it right next season. 

Would being in the bottom 3  with a fortnight to go in the January window and Glass still in post be considered "transition"?

Would Cormack risk letting things run as we might get it right next season?

I'd suggest if he does, "getting it right next season" could very well prove to be coming straight back up at the first attempt after a disastrous relegation.

5 minutes ago, cruickc2 said:

Time will tell. 
My perspective was he’s the type of guy you’d love to have working for you. Will do anything. Hands on, rolls up sleeves etc. 

all terrific attributes. Whether he can translate that into leading such a wide and varied team, we’ll have to see. But you could say that about just about anyone appointed into a leadership role in any field. It’s always a gamble of sorts.

like I say, I hope he’s a roaring success and proves right those that have backed him.

28 minutes ago, Watson Oh The Bar! Scanlon Yes! said:

Interesting to see that Jim Fraser has decided to retire as Head of the Youth.

opening up for a new position and potentially a new direction. This follows Simmie being moved sideways out of the youth set-up into the 1st team pathways role.

Interesting if this development see’s more youth progressing in the coming years

8 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Away and fuck he might know all about the inner workings at Pittodrie, nae doubt where bodies are buried, but know MORE about AFC and Scottish football than the learned, sages that inahabit this forum , you ARE having a laugh, 

Since you put it like that, obviously he must know less...

1 hour ago, cruickc2 said:

Aye, well, two more windows will be well into next season given our cack handed leagues  - let's hope that we're not in the championship by then and for those who think that's impossible - how many points have we got in the last 5 games (against such SPL luminaries such as Dundee, St Mirren and Motherwell - though to be fair we did manage to draw at home with Ross County before that) and how bad is this run for Aberdeen FC compared to any in the the last twenty years - if we give it another fortnight we have a realistic chance of breaking new ground but not in a good way. At some point will the penny drop that six months in and multiple windows to get things right on Snake Oils Park it isn't happening - that's the tragically hard data - I hope I can say that it all got better in November 2021 but then I hoped that in October and September too and the product still isn't delivering and the same problems persist. I believe the chairman is a supporter but I believe he's got an ego the size of Cormack Park and won't admit their is a serious problem and that starts with him and his appointee - supporters can be complete tossers at times.

15 minutes ago, cruickc2 said:

Gunn has a Uni degree in HR, accordingly to Dave. Came to AFC straight after and worked his way thru the ranks.

Maybe we are getting TOO hung up on the role of the DoF but it’s part of Dave’s brand new world so is entirely relevant. The only other time we’ve had anything like a DoF was Willie, during the Calderwood years and to be fair, what would he know about finances, logistics etc etc?

Its just fuck up after fuck up. Amazing really, when you look at how successful both Dave and Milne have been otherwise professionally 

10 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Would being in the bottom 3  with a fortnight to go in the January window and Glass still in post be considered "transition"?

Would Cormack risk letting things run as we might get it right next season?

I'd suggest if he does, "getting it right next season" could very well prove to be coming straight back up at the first attempt after a disastrous relegation.

If we are bottom three with a fortnight to go in the window I believe Dave's big cheque book will be out to bank roll the required signings

6 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Interesting to see that Jim Fraser has decided to retire as Head of the Youth.

opening up for a new position and potentially a new direction. This follows Simmie being moved sideways out of the youth set-up into the 1st team pathways role.

Interesting if this development see’s more youth progressing in the coming years

Youth team are playing Banks O Dee tomorrow at 5pm at Cormack Park, for anyone interested. I’m going to mosey on down, even to stand on the dual carriageway pavement. Some good young players in that side, apparently 

10 minutes ago, cruickc2 said:

If we are bottom three with a fortnight to go in the window I believe Dave's big cheque book will be out to bank roll the required signings

Pretty sure Dundee United tried that trick, relatively speaking, on a couple of occasions.

more difficult to do that nowadays with the various and evolving financial fair play rules, unless you’re sticking in more equity (ie new shares)

27 minutes ago, cruickc2 said:

And given Glass' success with the cadre he brought in back in the summer, do you believe he (now in cahoots with Mowbray) would be any more successful in buying his way out of a deep relegation threatening hole?