Cormack Thread

1 minute ago, DelMonte said:

Unfortunately on the manager and recruitment side - we don’t have time. The window shuts in 3 days and we have no manager. We also have 2 games in the space of 4 days this week. He can turn on the water works all he wants, he has well and truly fucked it.

We can't put a manager in place just because the window shuts in 3 days

It's looking likely it will be an interim manager till end of the season I would think 

11 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

The dof role is for me pivotal, that person has to have a say on appointment of management team, so that means that has to be the first appointment, , it has to be a footballing person, we have seen non football people in role and make a total cunt of it, a few exceptions. Leanne Dempster, Alan Burrows spring instantly to mind ,  but look at Jock Brown, Tony Ashgar, both way out of thier depths, 

It has to be an ex player, /manager/, coach,  preferably all 3,  who has dealt with aagents, chairmen,  directors, media, 

He should have been involved in European competitions, played abroad,  if possible,

He should be have overall control of football structure from youth to first team , 

He needs to be able to deal with spfl, SFA ,uefa and FIFA, 

He should be the one in charge of appointment of recruitment staff, scouts, the set up,  yes manager has to have final say, preferably in agreement with dof, but the dof should be able to flag up any concerns he has with ability of identified targets, and have the power to pause any signing upon further due diligence,. The dof should recommend any fee for incoming out going players and be in charge of transfer fees.

And I would also demand he heads up the the football monitoring board 

John Collins 

9 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

Would your feelings towards him change if he punts Gunn and Mowbray as well

No, I need to see improvements for my opinion to changed. He’s earned no one’s benefit of the doubt. He just sacked a manager for failing at his job, he is doing exactly the same and has been at it for longer.

1 minute ago, Millertime said:

We can't put a manager in place just because the window shuts in 3 days

It's looking likely it will be an interim manager till end of the season I would think 

Agreed, we don’t have time to access and appoint the right manager just now. We need someone to take us to the end of the season. 

Guest milne_afc
Just now, Millertime said:

Great minds xx

We should collaborate on an open letter to the club. Nothing nasty, just some helpful advice and recommendations. xx

2 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

No, I need to see improvements for my opinion to changed. He’s earned no one’s benefit of the doubt. He just sacked a manager for failing at his job, he is doing exactly the same and has been at it for longer.

If he punts Gunn and Mowbray I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt until the summer and if come the close of the transfer window the squad still has glaring obvious holes in it I’m done as next January will be like this one and the two before. 

Can’t see him punting Mowbray. They actually went to the bother of waiting for him to serve his notice after head hunting him. 

Gunn however just happened to be the travel agent we had here already, and he’s thought let’s give him a try. He’s more likely to leave.

I don’t doubt Cormack cares, but his actions will speak louder than his tears on the radio. He needs to use this as a wake up call, and pay big bucks for a high calibre DOF if this is the route he wants to go down, and a manager who knows how to play to the way he wants

One thing I will say about Cormack. The investment hes provided on and off the park is something probably none of us has seen in AFC history. Is it his fault the money hes provided has been wasted so incredibly? I would say not but How is he not asking the question where his money is going and if he is what the fucks he doing about it.

• Dildo 2

There is no denying he has the clubs interest at heart and is putting what he can into the club, the issue is he just hasn’t been good at it. His recruitment and appointments have been shocking and as long as he recognises that, which I think he does and goes onto rectify it, then we move forward. If he continues to be pig headed and not accept his flaws then we will continue to spiral down the way. It’s been a costly mistake for him personally. He is probably good at what he does commercially, but you need footballing men to bell get it right on the pitch. 

• Upvote 2
58 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

i did and I don’t believe him. Not much anyone can do about that but I don’t trust him as far as I can throw him.

his actions will show if he and his cronies take responsibility-let’s see if the FMB changes in any way shape or form.

It’s all subjective but, personally, I think it was 100% genuine. Looked like raw emotion and I genuinely believe he wants the very best for the club. By his own admission, from a football point of view he’s got it wrong. Over to him to get it right now. 

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I'm sorry, but he has failed twice now in crucial managerial appointments. With the money McInnes was allegedly on (even if the £17k a week rumours were way off and he was only on half that) we were a very good proposition; a club in the mix for trophies, in Europe every year (in theory, only one big push to get to group stages), with a new training ground and some very promising youth. A good young manager could have seen us as a springboard to manage in England, or a middle career manager looking to redeem their stock after a sacking (just as McInnes did after Bristol City) could have done well. Instead, we've had a vanity project followed by a rushed appointment.

In addition, right under Cormack's nose, we have a glorified pen pusher acting as DoF, promoted way beyond his natural abilities, yet is in charge of operations including transfers. The imbalance of the squad is just as much as much on Gunn and Cormack as it is Hoodwink. The latter had to go, but if Gunn stays, what confidence do we have that the next manager will fare much better?

Well we can't deny that Goodwin was a bad appointment. In both cases of Glass and Goodwin he has tried to find a young, hungry manager with some fresh ideas. I think it's fair to say that most pundits in Scotland would have said that Goodwin was a good candidate given his track record at the time. Without the benefit of an interview to understand his approach I believe most people would have said he was a good choice. Unfortunately, the early signs were worrying and things just went from bad to worse. Jim's people management skills left a lot to be desired and his handling of those he decide to chop was distasteful. I'm sure we'd all be interested to know how the squad was selected in terms of inputs from the chief scout, DOF etc. But one thing that rings loud and clear is that Jim Goodwin said in his first interview at Motherwell, "I need complete autonomy!" He made it clear that he made final decisions on football matters. So I would expect that the Chairman delegated responsibility to the team and that Goodwin had the final say. If that is the case it's difficult to blame the Chairman unless he insisted on a committee style vote or a Chairman Veto. There is often an argument at clubs about whether the player was wanted by the Manager or the DOF - it's a common problem. Listening to Cormack's comments tonight as the Leader he takes it squarely on the chin. But as he also says you have to rely on the people you appoint to implement the strategy. So you have a point that ultimately it's his fault because he appointed a person or persons unable to deliver. On reflection you want someone with experience of building a squad as much as managing a team. Martindale springs to mind since he has done all of that successfully. You rarely see any of his teams losing heavily and he has outperformed bigger budgets and resources consistently. Can't see our support accepting him though.

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Coming in and forcing a new way of working on mcinnes was the issue

And its been in free fall since that very week 

1 hour ago, Crossbow said:

Good interview, hopefully honest. Takes responsibility for the mess. He needs to put the right people in the club structure who have the skills to take the team forward in their respective roles. Do that and he will regain respect. He is clearly hurting (or worthy of an Oscar). The manager is but one of the roles that needs fixed. I hope he recognises it. He finally did the needful. Onwards and upwards. 

1 hour ago, RedRevolution said:

Well we can't deny that Goodwin was a bad appointment. In both cases of Glass and Goodwin he has tried to find a young, hungry manager with some fresh ideas. I think it's fair to say that most pundits in Scotland would have said that Goodwin was a good candidate given his track record at the time. Without the benefit of an interview to understand his approach I believe most people would have said he was a good choice. Unfortunately, the early signs were worrying and things just went from bad to worse. Jim's people management skills left a lot to be desired and his handling of those he decide to chop was distasteful. I'm sure we'd all be interested to know how the squad was selected in terms of inputs from the chief scout, DOF etc. But one thing that rings loud and clear is that Jim Goodwin said in his first interview at Motherwell, "I need complete autonomy!" He made it clear that he made final decisions on football matters. So I would expect that the Chairman delegated responsibility to the team and that Goodwin had the final say. If that is the case it's difficult to blame the Chairman unless he insisted on a committee style vote or a Chairman Veto. There is often an argument at clubs about whether the player was wanted by the Manager or the DOF - it's a common problem. Listening to Cormack's comments tonight as the Leader he takes it squarely on the chin. But as he also says you have to rely on the people you appoint to implement the strategy. So you have a point that ultimately it's his fault because he appointed a person or persons unable to deliver. On reflection you want someone with experience of building a squad as much as managing a team. Martindale springs to mind since he has done all of that successfully. You rarely see any of his teams losing heavily and he has outperformed bigger budgets and resources consistently. Can't see our support accepting him though.

Martindale can't leave Livi, he has too much money in the club, takes a while to launder it all

• Upvote 1

I had a modicum of sympathy when I saw the interview a few moments ago.

I don’t doubt that we wants the absolute best for the club, and I do believe him when he says he accepts responsibility.

But, to stand there and say the vision and strategy across the club is the right strategy, then I’m sorry, we’ll be in the same place this time next year.

I’m not a fan of Cormack talking of the last exchange with Goodwin, keep it private man FFS. He’s a hell of a man for yapping away. I couldn’t care two shites about him being 64 or him going to his first games with his Uncle Jimmy or whatever….heard it so many times now.

The club has become obsessed with ‘resale value’ ever since their strategy was released with a degree of smugness, and then the bold Gunner started yapping on about a Danish club who’d made £20m from transfers, whilst his own operation slept walked towards bottom six oblivion last year.

Christ, this board has became obsessed with resale value at times off the back of it.

Of course, every player has a value (diminishing rapidly in our case with some of the gutless charlatans we’ve signed) no matter who you are, or who you play for, but it’s become an obsession with the powers to be at Pittodrie.

The decision making on the football front has been generally dreadful since Cormack took charge, and the sooner he realises he needs to step back and have a proper DEO/DOF that’s left and trusted to be in charge on a day to day basis the better.

The players are generally a disgrace too. No character whatsoever. Wouldn’t trust them as far as I could chuck them. No professional pride.

Over to you Dave. Helluva repair job on your hands to win the confidence back of the fans and everyone involved.

• Upvote 4
On 1/1/2023 at 1:27 PM, Rico1903 said:

A big year for Dave. His top 3 objectives surely have to be:

1. CEO to run the club day to day
2. DoF with the appropriate skills, knowledge and experience (particularly football experience) 
3. To seriously invest in a management team that can develop individuals and the team collectively- coach, motivate, man manage well and have tactical nous 

Hopefully getting closer to this very soon. 

4 hours ago, brunstanesheep said:

One thing I will say about Cormack. The investment hes provided on and off the park is something probably none of us has seen in AFC history. Is it his fault the money hes provided has been wasted so incredibly? I would say not but How is he not asking the question where his money is going and if he is what the fucks he doing about it.

Of course it’s his fault ffs. 

Waffling on about doubling on his strategy. He’s fucking delusional. 

He definitely has the club in his heart but he needs to put up cash to remedy this utter shit show and stay the fuck out of everything else 

• Upvote 1

Im not convinced Goodwin was ever a good manager.  But the tactics he employed for the Celtic game and the panicked subs against the Huns were key turning points. 

There have been other terrible managers, but none which have has such easily identifiable red flags as Jim Goodwin.

He could have been good, but he lost the plot after the world cup break.   

To be fair  his record prior to joining us, showed he wasn’t up to it. 

• Upvote 1

Re: interview. It MIGHT be possible to have a shred of compassion for the man BUT his handling of things post Darvel should never be forgotten. So, no sympathy here. 

If he's hanging around, he needs to be based in America and stay there. Keep his nose out of football matters and appoint someone who will tell him to stop being a twat when he goes back to old habits and forgets his place. The DoF, or whatever they're called, had to be left alone and trusted to change the course of the club.