The Golf Thread

4 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Given the lack of response to my reply to your PM, I reckon you are possibly a Cruden Bay member who got banned for a year after I was going to kick your cunt in at Fraserburgh?

It was the only time I've ever fallen out with someone on a golf course. 

Ha ha fuck off.

You would get a 3 wood wrapped roon yer neck if you started that shite wi me.

30 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Ok, now that we have established "different spy" - thanks for the PM, R or D - there was this cunt, Stuart MacPherson if I mind right, from Cruden Bay. Biggest arse of all time.

I was drawn with him and another CB member in the Buchan Firkin and the arse was having a bad day but there was no excuse for his on-course, self-obsessed, petulant behaviour which started at the 2nd. The other guy apologised to me at lunch but I said to him don't apologise, you're not doing anything wrong, he's fucking hard work and don't take responsibility for him just because you come from the same club.

At the 4th, the boy picked up his ball and was going down the path, stomping, all the while I'm trying to putt. He was NR'ing but hadn't even had the courtesy to say anything to me (I learned on the next tee that he had given my card to the other boy). "Hey", I bellowed, really loud, "I'm trying to putt here". I couldn't believe my luck as he started walking back towards me and just before he got to the green, I threatened him with great violence if he stepped onto the green. Can't remember my exact words but kick and cunt were in there and he could tell I meant it. Think I may have still been bellowing at the cunt. He chickened out, fucked off, complained about me in the clubhouse but they all know me up there as my uncle was a member and were asking what happened. They also knew him from the Abercrombie matches and everyone thought he was a tit. The other member in our group stuck up for me but I can't remember why but I needed to write a letter to his home club, CB banned him for a year and he moved to Ellon. Just a fucking tit and the closest I've ever come to seeing violence on a golf course.

Was that maybe Stewart McCulloch?

I think i know that boy you ate referring to and i believe i played with him in the Simmers or the maitland one year. Couldn’t believe his attitude and how bad his temperament was!

A fucking tit indeed.

Strange thing was, i played with him years later and he was a completely different guy. It was like he had had a personality transplant or he was a scizophrenic.

A complete cunt, all the same.

That is definitely him like. He was banned from Cruden Bay right enough.

He wasn’t even that good, just a retard with a chip on his shoulder.

Lot of good players came out of there over the years though, going all the way back to the Bannermans, Michael Buchan and a heap of good amateurs.

Never played Fraserburgh, fuck knows why it looks decent as well.

Played last weekend in the King Trophy on the championship links at Nairn off the championship black tees.Par 71 CSS 77 on the day.

Last time i played it was in the Scottish amateur strokeplay in around 2001. What a course, absolutely fantastic.

Was up playing Boat of Garten, Spey Valley and Grantown the other week in the Speyside 54 holer.  Drink got the better of me before the final round.  fantastic weekend and anyone who does the comp circuit I fully recommend it.  Grantown is nae the best but it was in magnificent nick as were the others.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:30 AM, Reed or deed said:

No, only ever wrote my initials on my golf ball in either red or black ink.

The young guy Sandy Scott from Nairn is a prospect as the young lad from Duff House, who has been shooting amazing numbers for a few years. Calum somebody i think?

As you say, the levels and the margins involved between success and being an also ran make it one of the toughest sports to succeed at in the pro game.

The other thing, unfortunately that drives people forward and cannot be underestimated as a major factor of anybodys development in golf, is money.

Golf is an extremely expensive sport to be any good at and all the boys i played with that went on to turn pro (some have made it big time) were rich kids and were privileged enough to be able to play full time amateur golf due to rich parents.

We fundraise every year for my late pal's golf foundation created in his honour. We are affiliated to the Paul Lawrie foundation and one of the first people our fundraising went towards helping was thon Sandy Scott - helped get him over to America for his apprenticeship. Proud moment for my pal's dad when he tee'd off at the US Open the other week. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, dazzy_deff said:

We fundraise every year for my late pal's golf foundation created in his honour. We are affiliated to the Paul Lawrie foundation and one of the first people our fundraising went towards helping was thon Sandy Scott - helped get him over to America for his apprenticeship. Proud moment for my pal's dad when he tee'd off at the US Open the other week. 

What a brilliant thing to do. 

He very nearly made the cut as well. Was going really well in the first round. 

On this basis an even bigger reason to hope that Sandy goes on to make it in the pro game. Absolute class min.

34 minutes ago, Reed or deed said:

What a brilliant thing to do. 

He very nearly made the cut as well. Was going really well in the first round. 

On this basis an even bigger reason to hope that Sandy goes on to make it in the pro game. Absolute class min.

Helped out Sam Locke too who played the Open last year. 

Mate was a caddy over in the states. Was doing very well before he was killed by a drink driver on his way home from work over there. 

We do a golf outing every year. Usually ends up a riot. Different venue every year with the winners picking the following years location. Various other fundraising events throughout the year. I'm just a participant. His old man and one of the other boys are the real driving forces behind it. 

There's also a golf academy in Spain named after him. One of his other mates lives in Spain now and set it up and also runs a Spanish outing each year at his place. It's grown arms and legs in the 6 years since he died. As I say, it's all a branch of the Paul lawrie foundation so the story is on their website. 

28 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Helped out Sam Locke too who played the Open last year. 

Mate was a caddy over in the states. Was doing very well before he was killed by a drink driver on his way home from work over there. 

We do a golf outing every year. Usually ends up a riot. Different venue every year with the winners picking the following years location. Various other fundraising events throughout the year. I'm just a participant. His old man and one of the other boys are the real driving forces behind it. 

There's also a golf academy in Spain named after him. One of his other mates lives in Spain now and set it up and also runs a Spanish outing each year at his place. It's grown arms and legs in the 6 years since he died. As I say, it's all a branch of the Paul lawrie foundation so the story is on their website. 

Obviously a well liked lad and for any golfer what a legacy to leave. 

Genuinely in awe of how such a positive thing can be created out of such an awful thing to happen.

Long may it continue to grow in his name min.

Brilliant.

I’ll have a look on the website for it.

2 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

Obviously a well liked lad and for any golfer what a legacy to leave. 

Genuinely in awe of how such a positive thing can be created out of such an awful thing to happen.

Long may it continue to grow in his name min.

Brilliant.

I’ll have a look on the website for it.

Under sponsors on the site.

Very well liked...one of those who knew everybody. Tragic incident but a great thing that's come from it. The outing is essentially a school reunion. A great laugh and we raise a lot of coin whilst doing it. 

@rocket_scientist

Heres the sporting/golf anecdote,which others will/may confirm..(picture will)

Late 80s,starts working in a mill, (fitter previous)..3 man operation..George,Stevie..me..

Not long in,me and Steve hook up playing Golf..solid, in all weathers...few games in..its obviously Steve is a different ball park....beat him once i think?...

So at work..in a short space of time..we all leave for other jobs,George left and joined First bus..Steve then leaves and joins the "Barbour set"...on a the water board..

I leave last...to work in a establishment of mentalists, fucking idiots @daytripping

she's ripping her hair oot..im.never in..

Last time i seen Steve the golfer..we had season tickets, in which,a midweek winter game against Killie was abandoned,because of a snowstorm/power cut..??.

Drifted apart after that...but still seeing George,on the odd First bus..over the years  ....

FF

This Lockdown...

I decide to take up the HSF malarkey again,,after a 30 year hiatus..buy the shit i used before from Ebay...for an assault,on the River Don, to catch Sea trout..spinning (lures)

(There's a grey area here,an imaginary line almost..on fishing estuary "tidal waters"..and species)?

2nd trip fuck all?

20200807-193314.jpg

3rd Trip...?

Spinning for Sea trout again..North bank..back to sea,facing bridge...headphones on...3 figures (baliffs)looming ,and closing in,on me..no1 gestures to remove headphones..asks what im fishing for  ..Sea trout..sorry squire not without permit (grey area)...so i said thats me fucking off then...

No2 pipes up...

"I used tae fucking work wee you"!!!?

Its Steve the golfer...Barbour set..i starts ripping into him,,saying i expected to of seen him on Sky Sports Golf etc...caught up with family etc..then left....

Catches a bus tae Union square, then a bus to a Ferryhill  ....whos driving the bus ??..showed George the below picture..

He almost crashed the bus????

Moral of the story...the inbetween years 

Stevie won The/A Links championship ??   ..

Anyone played him?????

20201005-000446.jpgi want you poems for her

Guest milne_afc
34 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I mind a Stevie fae Nigg Bay who had a good tache and was a fucking good golfer. Dinna think I recognise the boy in the pic but could easy if I kent his name. Stevie Allan or Allen maybe? Was a good cunt. Had a famous hole in 1 at 18 at Nigg. It'll come back to me. 

Think I might have worked with him at some point. Jet black hair and matching tash? 

Bit of a slob iirc. 

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

I mind a Stevie fae Nigg Bay who had a good tache and was a fucking good golfer. Dinna think I recognise the boy in the pic but could easy if I kent his name. Stevie Allan or Allen maybe? Was a good cunt. Had a famous hole in 1 at 18 at Nigg. It'll come back to me. 

Canna mind the Stevie above, haeing a tache...?

Murphy his surname...^^

Originally from Kincorth..?

Stevie Allan, The Jaffa Cake.  Some boy.  Some player and daft as a brush.  Banned from most clubs now for theft allegedly  Major gambler.  Sad state of affairs.  Great talent.  Used to drive most greens and yes he had a hole in one on the last at Spam to win the CC.  Incredible.

Guest milne_afc
On 10/15/2020 at 9:58 AM, jamiesd said:

Stevie Allan, The Jaffa Cake.  Some boy.  Some player and daft as a brush.  Banned from most clubs now for theft allegedly  Major gambler.  Sad state of affairs.  Great talent.  Used to drive most greens and yes he had a hole in one on the last at Spam to win the CC.  Incredible.

That's him. Done the occasional shift in the forklifts at the docks. 

Always had a set of clubs for sale in the boot of his car. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Singapore Steve said:

Tiger has had a bit of an accident.  Will be interesting to see the extent of his damage and also if he was under the influence of anything. 

Not a fan of golf myself, so I was surprised to hear Tiger Woods is shit at driving. 

• 3 months later...