The Golf Thread

-5 though. He'll win it.

He's the best golfer on the planet by a huge distance.

Doesn't mean he's guaranteed to win but I strongly expect him to.

A former world's best golfer by a huge distance was appalling yesterday. He can't make the Ryder Cup team, surely?

One article I read this morning said his "game is in a mess". Hard to disagree.

Easy to drop bombshells like this. More intelligent would be to ask why.

One of the biggest reasons in my opinion, I'll keep to myself.

Facts are one things. Opinions are another.

Another huge factor is his attitude. This is fact this time. Everything is measurable and his petulance and frustration manifesting itself in outbursts of indiscipline on the course is hurting him. The balance between performance and expectation is out of synchronicity within him. He's another who needs a good solid injection of NE reality.

The wonderful thing about our part of the world is the pragmatic roots upon which our people were built. One weegie cunt who nobody on the planet likes - not even his dog and especially not his ex wife - once said to me that scratch an Aberdonian and you'll find a tcheuchter no more than two generations back. I didn't want to engage with him so I didn't but I would have asked - what's wrong with that? Being harvesters of the land and harvesters of the sea, surely this makes us more real and grounded than you ya fucking weegie mink, relocated up here and living on the sick and contributing fuck all to anything.

Tiger is fucked cos he wasn't brought up in Strichen, or Portknockie or Aberdeen. That's his problem the cunt.

• Upvote 2

Ritchie Ramsey was injured prior to the Scottish Open and was advised to rest up Rocket you complete fool.

He shot 2 x 74's and missed the cut you bullier-of-women cowardly weegie fud. I fucking SAW him miss the cut on Friday. Wank.

Edit: And since you can't even spell either of his names properly, your attention-to-detail having been compromised by the sickness in your soul that results in you hating women so much, originating from your weak, weak parents giving you a female name, you really should fuck off and stop exposing your mental problems amongst us Lindsay.

• Upvote 2

Saw the best individual round to win a major amateur event I've ever seen today. Ashley Chesters became the first golfer to win the European Amateur Championship twice, having won it in Spain last year, qualifying for the Open being the big bonus.

The key to success in golf is mistakes-minimisation. This is fact, not opinion, statistically-verifiable. It was very tricky with strong winds gusting wildly and when you're front-running, you really don't want to open the doors for others by making mistakes. Ash just kept on hitting fairways and hitting greens, not once missing the middle of the bat. A relentless display of awesome consistency to keep the whole field at bay, a field containing the very best amateurs in Europe.

Phenomenal. Great to see that nice guys do win sometimes.

Tiger has never done anything like that his whole life. Mrs rocket reckons Tiger has Aspergers. I just think he's a prick.

See to me ROry appeared to be a bit of a prick after winning the Open but that was on TV, this proves that my assumption was wrong and I can understand why he was asking for certain staff members to be removed from where his family and friends were waiting for him.

Guts. The best ever. McIlroy = different class, different league, different game.

We saw the birth of a phenomenon today. 4 down. 15 to go. Do-able by age 32, he's that good.

Rocket / cow / any other person right into golf. How would you approach this?

My mates regularly play with this guy from their work - I think they feel obliged to invite him. Anyway, he cheats continually. Not playing the "leather wedge" or anything like that - just scores. He can have a nightmare hole, with a couple of chips and a three putt and he'll say "6" - when he has obviously had an 8 or 9.

I played 9 holes with him a few months back and was looking out for his scores as I'd been told about his creative scoring - he didn't cheat once. I've told them to make a joke about it at the start of the next round - but it sounds like he is so thick skinned it wouldn't get through.

I have to add, I think cheating at golf is fucking deplorable, one of the worst acts anyone can commit - and I'm including crimes that justify stiff jail sentences. It's not too hard, even when you have had a shitey hole to count back what you have got and get it right.

Easy in medal golf, you just pull him up on it when marking his card. He says 6 you say hang on, 3 off the tee one in the rough, putt * 3 = 9, that kind of thing. He'll very quickly agree. This sorts the cheating cunts the only problem is the lazy cunts expect you to keep score for them.

Friendly fix. Play fourball match play.

On a separate note. Played to handicap (12) today for the first fucking time this season. None of this short game pish just confidence off the tee finally resumed (and to show how low you can go, try shanking twice off the first tee to go NR on hole 1 of a club champ that some say you had shout in). Secondly, even with confidence on the tee, use the brain too. Currently playing driver, rescues and even 5 irons off par 4 tees. Result speaks for itself.

I'm back and loving it. I know that's not quite what RS said but it's what I took from it.

Sat and watched the PGA highlights again last night. Massively exciting stuff no question and the correct guy won out. But the lack of 'bounce' didn't half change the game especially the exciting closing stages. Exceptional target golf yes, and the players can only play on the course put in front of them and play with the weather they get, but the lack of bounce and roll definitely took something away for me.

The drives up the 18th fairway for example. Mickelson and Rory would both have been in the drink had the ball bounced away like it should. Changed the game in my opinion - and for what its worth I fully expect a no doubt soggy Gleneagles for the Ryder Cup to be exactly the same.

ah mind playing in the medals, and this boy would mark his ball about half a foot in front and then half a foot again when he put the ball down. he never won f all so who cares.

I've played with folk who like a six on their card.

what was that?

six.

oh aye, so 4 on and 3 putts. that'll be a six then. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle because they weren't going to win anyway.

I nearly said, Richie FFS min.....get yer heed doon, get back to playing the golf and stop worrying so much about shite!

Maybe you should have. Terrible start by him today.

In other news, Scotland beat England 3-2 in the morning foursomes of the Home Internationals today, Duncan Stewart suffered a late 8 on the Challenge tour in his one under and young Craig Lawrie put together a couple of excellent rounds in the PGA Europro Tour, making the cut with ease and breathing down a top 10 finish tomorrow. With no Scottish golfers under the age of 30 on the European Tour, we need the next generation to come through. The teenage Lawrie is finding his feet and has much to learn but the signs have been encouraging for him recently and tomorrow can be a big step forward for his confidence so good luck to him. Good luck to Ross Kellett in the same event, another young Scots pro who is showing some very encouraging recent trends.

• 2 weeks later...