The Golf Thread

He said "these days"

Since 1985 Europe have been wholly dominate, winning / retaining 9 out of the last 13 Ryder Cups, with The yanks winning away just the once during that time.

But right enough, up until 1979, when it changed from GB+Ireland to Europe, they had only won 3 time since 1927.

That's the yanks problem. They seem to struggle to match the team spirit/attitude of Europe these days.

Standard of player certainly isn't the problem, even this year they had the higher average world ranking.

The yanks have played well in the 2 mornings, but been destroyed in the afternoons. You simply can not see them winning 8 1/2 points 2moro.

Special mention to Darren Clarke, your punditry is shocking, stick to smoking cigars and drinking pints of Guinness.

Really? I thought Darren Clarkes commentary was spot on. Offered far more insight than anyone else on Sky, including that fud Butch. Would have Clarke commentate any game.

I'm not sure who the on course commentators were on 810mw but I thought he was absolutely brilliant. Lot of insight, clearly knew the game inside and out. Listened to it to and from Aberdeen on Saturday for the football.

Jack Nicklaus in the booth was class on Sunday as well.

• 1 month later...

I see from the BBC that Patrick Reed (he of US Ryder Cup lets-be-avin-you fame) has been charged with insulting and homophobic language after missing a putt on the first hole in Shanghai. No idea what he said.

Now I have frequently been short with a putt. I may, allegedly, have muttered "Oh you big poof" at myself from time to time when it happens. Thankfully, at no point has my usual playing partner said to me "em, I think you'll find that's actually an insult to poofs!" I'm guessing he didn't think it would help to diffuse the situation. Just saying like.

I see from the BBC that Patrick Reed (he of US Ryder Cup lets-be-avin-you fame) has been charged with insulting and homophobic language after missing a putt on the first hole in Shanghai. No idea what he said.

Now I have frequently been short with a putt. I may, allegedly, have muttered "Oh you big poof" at myself from time to time when it happens. Thankfully, at no point has my usual playing partner said to me "em, I think you'll find that's actually an insult to poofs!" I'm guessing he didn't think it would help to diffuse the situation. Just saying like.

Lack of evidence surely.

Expect his fellow players to come out and say hes not got that in him.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any point in the Ryder Cup these days? More boring than the SPFL. Europe seems to destroy America on every occasion. This last Ryder Cup was embarrassing. I'm no golf expert, but surely it's unfair?

Why not Europe vs Rest of the world? A bit more realistic!

No offence to anyone who follows team Europe.... just seems like a waste of time IMO?

The most recent Ryder Cup (before this year's) was as close as it gets. Had to overturn a 4 point deficit prior on the final day singles. Hardly a destruction of America.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Putting this here as I don't want to take away from Paul's travails on the other thread. How fucking out of touch is the BBC coverage. Hate sky on principle. Hate adverts even more but Jesus wept. They are so often caught out talking complete shite, poorly researched, borderline offensive at times - it's not the 70's for Christ sake. I'll let hazel irvine off. I'll cope with ken brown since he at least knows the game. The rest, particularly the young wanker doing his hilarious clips on the course, just fuck off.

How satisfying today when the vastly over rated Willet who apparently we were all supporting blew up.

Old mannie rant over.

• 3 weeks later...

Played one of the hardest courses I've played in the Oceanico Faldo a few weeks back, you've got to be long and hit the ball dead centre or your fucked. Unfortunately, I'm neither. Didn't help I was playing with a couple of single figure handicappers who wanted to play off the gold boxes and I had fucked my rib on a stagger a few days prior. Savage.

Got this beast booked up today for next time back in Bangkok. Tiger won the Honda Classic on it and he's pish so expecting a sub par round.

Thai-Country-Club.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On the banks of Lake Michigan, one of the world's best courses hosted a phenomenal major.

On 18, Spieth is -54 for the majors this year. Woods -53 in 2000 was the previous best.

Day at -20 is an all time record too.

Yesterday's golf was the best standard ever seen.

But I bet there are many playing computer games instead, or posting inane drivel on the internet.

On the banks of Lake Michigan, one of the world's best courses hosted a phenomenal major.

On 18, Spieth is -54 for the majors this year. Woods -53 in 2000 was the previous best.

Day at -20 is an all time record too.

Yesterday's golf was the best standard ever seen.

But I bet there are many playing computer games instead, or posting inane drivel on the internet.

I'd be inclined to agree. Top 9 all beat Kaymers score at the same course in 2010 and Kaymer was excellent that weekend.

Dustin frustrates me massively, all the talent in the world but just too thick and not got the right people around him for when it matters, needs to ditch his brother off of the bag aswell if he wants to win a major. As for Day, delighted for him, had such a great year all round and this tops it off for him.

Delighted for Day.

Excellent to hear, once one broke ranks, them all piling in and saying so what the fuckity fuck was fucking chambers bay all about then!

Suspect the Guy in charge of us open course selection might just be starting an extended break just about now!

Of all the championship courses we see in the us of a btw Whistling Straits is probably the one I fancy playing most. Augusta? Nah. Pebble beach? Fucking housing scheme with three good holes. Last night, and all week, that just looked the dugs chuffs.

Dustin phenomenal potential. Yet to cross the line.

A bit like Day until last night.

The 2nd at Pebble Beach, St Andrews this year after a great start, the 1st hole yesterday, these suggest a significant mental weakness in majors that Day's never suffered and he needs to overcome the wall in his mind.

Party animal personality that's been tamed and in the taming, may have lost what made him potentially great.

He may break through or will crash and burn before the decade is out.

• 1 month later...

Quite enjoy the Solheim Cup. Caught a 15 minutes there with the morning flycup. The girls golf is more closely attuned to what us mere mortals would do, unlike the automaton men (apart from the sound dandy ones obviously Paul).

BUT.

In 15 minutes already the 'lets go Europe lets go' chant has ripped my knitting.

Been watching it too.

I have been focusing more on the mixture of tight tops, bare legs and general all round sexiness of some of the ladies; mainly Americans it must be said. Michelle wie is extremely sexy. With her dyed hair one has the impression she would be dirty in bed and almost certainly would love extended foreplay including lick tricks and spanking.

Suppose the golf is ok too.