The Golf Thread

RS,

thoughts on Nick Dougherty? I backed him a few times in previous years and was suprised at his slump in the rankings.

Needs to cut that last inch of his hair length, at least.

Has a lot to say for himself for someone who has done fuck all the whole of this decade.

The "black widow" strikes again. That Di must be cursed.

On the Ryder Cup, I can't help thinking of Tony Jacklin's comments about Stevie G, who was a very nearly man today.

Whatever decision they make, I hope it's the right one and not a sympathy vote nor a token Scot.

Poulter did enough at Medinah albeit I fear his golf isn't up to scratch at present - but then its match play and all that. I'd fear for him against a grinder. A Bubba type whipping up the crowd actually works in his favour but Tom Watson's experience will know that. A Furyk type with his Cliff Thorburn golf might see him unstuck.

Gallagher is on form, very late right enough, and would draw the crowds. Ryder cup newbie might actually help him tbh. Would recommend P.Lawrie as his Caddie!!! (sorry Paul - I genuinely meant that as a complement) - experience, knowing what to expect etc.

The one that concerns me most is Westie. Can't putt under pressure. Won't have Clark to play with. Absolutely riding on admittedly tremendous back card. Could go either way. Put it this way, he'll need to play to play twice either on Friday or Saturday and there's a pretty good chance it'll be both. If I was Tom Watson, assuming McIlroy/McDowell will be too hot for his team to handle, Westwood and partner would be the match I would be following, and noising at every opportunity.

Great to see Richie Ramsay hitting some form. He smashed down the door to get his tour card and made top 50 OoM for three years on the trot without threatening to win big i.e. majors etc.

Then he was 70th last year and not making the year-end money-fest so this was an important year in his development. The boy's responding well.

Still think another NE loon will have the better record over the next couple of years. A golfer who's record is infinitely superior and being a decade and a half older, will be using his greater experience to maximum effect.

It's impossible to predict in this game. With desire however, that's the biggest currency. If Lawrie wants it enough, he will fly. Hope these injury scares he's had are consigned to history.

Started today as he finished yesterday. Double bogey. 4 shots dropped in 2 holes.

Anyway, would love to play that course. Epic scenery.

Aye but some balls to grab a couple of birdies to make a cut he was missing with four to go.

The wife always says about going to that event. Given the weather there this week, delighted to wait another year. Agree. Looks a stunning place although Radar scares me with his anecdotes as to how expensive it is there!